Skip to main content

You got me on the database, not so much the trading

 

Hey, guys! I've joined Trading Card Database!
 
I know, you never thought you'd see the day. I was the same way.
 
I wasn't eager to add another card thing in my life, especially not one that involved more filing of my collection as well as interacting with even more people on the interwebs.
 
The fact that certain collectors were pushing it like Amway members didn't help. Nor did the memory of other online card database systems disappearing forever.
 
But I decided to join anyway. Ever since my desktop computer died a couple of months ago, and my ancient spreadsheet that inventoried my collection along with it, I haven't had a good way to keep tabs on my entire collection.
 
I do keep track of certain key totals on the blog. I know the total number of cards I have and I know which players are represented the most in my collection. I'm good with knowing the amount of cards I have for maybe the top 200 or so guys.
 
But if you were to ask me "how many cards of Salvador Perez do you have?" I would have no idea without spending a half hour I don't have counting them up.
 
This wouldn't bother a lot of collectors, but I have a blog and I'm doing research all the time and stuff like this comes up all the time. I should have it available somewhere that I can view at the click of a button or two.
 
So I've come around on the database part. I'm not very enthused about entering all my cards. It's going to take months. But TCDB makes it a little fun (I think the members have been underselling that point a bit). You get to view stats on your collection every time you add new cards and which players have the most cards, what percentage of a set you have completed, etc. It makes the mundane nature of inventorying a bit easier to digest. But it's still going to be 2022 by the time I'm done.

I tackle it bit by bit, with the little time that I have. For example the next cards I will inventory are probably the smattering of current cardboard that I recently received from reader Dana. He's always nice enough to send a card and a note with the cards. There were about 20 cards that were some extras from some sets he's collecting.


I welcome the 2021 Gypsy Queen. I don't buy it, therefore I always need the Dodgers. It's horrid-looking as usual and this time the image is confined by a mirror-shape and I hate it when the players are all facing the same way (see 2020 Topps flagship's Dodgers).

But they're cards I need, so weeeeee!


Dana also threw in a couple of GQ Nationals who are now Dodgers. I don't collect cards like that, but both players are performing exceptionally for the team so I'll try to find a place of honor.
 


Here are the same two players from this year's Stadium Club. I don't know what's going on with hitters and their equipment. Turner looks like he's lost both hands.
 


Back to some Dodgers with the last couple years of Stadium Club. Red parallels of a couple of pitchers, one revered and one reviled.
 


So, yeah, I'll be adding these to my TCDB file. I'm still learning my way around things -- how TCDB categorizes sets and inserts and all of that Bowman confusion -- so it's very slow right now. But I think it will help me keep better track of things like what cards I need to complete a set. It's already pointed out a few variations that I didn't know about (TCDB seems to be all about the variations and errors, which is both helpful and annoying -- I don't care about copyright symbols).

For quite awhile I think that's all TCDB will be for me, a database. The trading part that everyone talks about isn't appealing to me right now. I'd rather do trades with the bloggers I know, and when the time suits me, I don't want to get into discovering new people's foibles and demands. I don't have time for it.

But you never know. Heck I'm on TCDB, which I figured would never happen.

And sometimes people like Dana send me stuff like this:


I don't know what to do with those. And, chances are, a fellow blogger or the other people I trade with may not be interested either. I know as well as other bloggers that the trading scene on the blogs isn't as healthy as it once was.

TCDB would be the ideal spot for stuff like above.

But I'm not ready for that. And if TCDB has communicating features and all that, don't try to find me on there, I'm not interested. I'll talk on the blogs or on Twitter (or in email). That's enough for me.

So, there I go, another new chapter.

You better not disappear like the others, TCDB.

Comments

John Sharp said…
I'm on TCDB,but I'm not very active. I need to do better, but it's not easy for me.

Good Luck. 👍
bbcardz said…
I used TCDb for many years for reference purposes before actually becoming a member in 2018. It just very gradually grew on me and now I even serve as a commish on one of TCDb's fantasy baseball leagues. I don't trade as much as some other members (only three to six trades per month) but it has really helped get me closer to completing sets. I'm also fairly active on the TCDb forums but their forum software is about as basic as you can get.
Fuji said…
Welcome to the club. I joined a long time ago... but haven't done anything with my account. At some point I'll start with just my player collections and eventually catalog my team collections as well. But don't plan on starting anytime soon. Maybe when I retire.
GTT said…
I love the database, but I've never made a trade. Sometimes I read the forum or post, but it's mostly the database for me.
Billy Kingsley said…
About darn time!

The forum thread thanking people for Random Acts of Kindness has over 2000 replies.
Mark Zentkovich said…
Welcome to tcdb....my first box I added to inventory was a box of oddball stuff that I had 2 in this set, one in another, minor league in next row, food in following row...it helped me so much to be able to quickly see what I had for a player or team when trading..

I still have my vintage topps baseball in spreadsheets, but most of my modern extras are on there.

Mark
Nick said…
I still haven't joined TCDB, though I may have to give it another shot. I found it a bit clunky the first couple times I tried using it. I'm still mad about the demise of Zistle - seemed way more user-friendly than TCDB - so that might have something to do with why I've been a bit resistant there.

(Also I'd be glad to give that Tarot Verlander a good home if it needs one!)
gregory said…
Cool! TCDB is a great resource, regardless of whether you make trades or not. Entering cards does get easier as you keep working with the layout, and the effort is worth it. Like you mentioned, seeing the stats on your personal collection makes the hobby that much more fun. Enjoy it!
Welcome to the Club, even though you’re a reluctant Member… If I had a Blog, you’d call me one of the Amway people, I’m sure. But for those of us without the platform of a well-read blog, there’s really no other way to effectively share Want Lists and Trade Lists. I’ve been the beneficiary of a couple of TCDB RAKs, and some other lopsided trade offers that were basically a RAK. So while it’s not as personal as you guys describe the blog-community - I think the generosity is still there. And while it’s not as surprising as a care package, it’s effective, and I love “finding a good home” for the stuff I don’t want.
Matt said…
The database itself was the big selling point for me. All the other stuff there is cool, but not a big deal. I look forward to seeing your name atop the Ron Cey leaderboard!
GCA said…
It's the greatest reference for cards out there. I've made a few trades, and have a couple started, but responses are dwindling.

The easiest things to enter are my vintage sets which are mostly complete, but they're the least useful listings. I can't imagine entering my player collection binders one card at a time wouldn't be impossibly tedious, but I could be wrong...
bryan was here said…
I occasionally use TCDb for reference, but I'm really not looking to join it. It is fun to find oddball sets and regional items, especially minor league issues.

I would be interested in taking that Shane Bieber off your hands for a box of toploaders if you're interested.
BP said…
I originally used TCDB as a reference for a couple of years, then started logging my collection because Zistle died. A year or so later, I started creating want lists and adding my dupes for trading, and boom I started trading like crazy. I've used it to sell cards. I've used the forums for information. It has a lot of imperfections that could be improved, the interface and workflow among them. I've actually found over time that I like using it less for logging my collection, but now using it primarily for its trade matching machine.
night owl said…
@Matt ~

I'm already second!

@bryan was here ~

I'll do it for a lot less than a box of toploaders. 25 or so should do it.
Nachos Grande said…
I was a long time avoider of TCDB (the data entry seemed too taxing/boring). However, now that I've joined and uploaded a bunch of trade bait, I love the site. I think one of my main goals for 2022 is going to be to get my personal collection uploaded to the site (this shouldn't be too hard since I'm mostly a set collector and you can add full sets to your collection with a single click). I've found the site invaluable for acquiring new (to me) Barry Larkin cards!
Nick Vossbrink said…
Oh wow. I tried TCDB a while ago. Didn't take. Main issue is too much fidelity where I don't care about what variant I have and it wanted me to choose one (especially when entering anything into a collection via team set or complete set)
Jeff Laws said…
I'm there for the database as well and don't trade

It took me awhile to really get into it but once you start figuring out all the features, it really is great. What I do love is when I get a card that I'm not sure what it is, I filter the player down to the card number and it basically tells me what card I have or at least narrows it down enough that it's easy to figure out. It has been very handy on a lot of those oddball cards that I've never seen before.
Adam Ryan said…
I'm on TCDB as well but don't trade either. I haven't fooled around with much of adding cards to my collection on there because honestly, I don't know where to start. I marked a few minor league team sets I have but that's it. I use it mainly for reference because there's like 18,000 Bowman sets and variations that all look the same. I still haven't cataloged my collection on Google Sheets at all either, that would take time I don't have right now.