Skip to main content

C.A.: 1992 Upper Deck Eric Karros

(Greetings on one of the busiest travel weekends of the year. I tried traveling this weekend about 20 years ago. It was awful. I vowed never to do it again. And I haven't. It's time for Cardboard Appreciation. From the comfort of my home. This is the 306th in a series):
 

When I last visited this card, I was showing off the 868 versions of it that I had received from Dodgers fan and former 1992 Upper Deck Eric Karros hoarder, Rob.

I haven't thought about the card, or how many copies of it that I still own, all that much in the last six years. I did give away a handful not long after receiving them. But the vast majority have been sitting in a couple of long boxes (one won't do the trick) in a closet for all of these years.

However, I took them out last week when someone on Twitter asked "what's the most of a single card that you own?"

I've met a lot of card hoarders in my time online and I expected a bunch of people to show off entire binders of the same card, which they did. But there were even more who said, "I have 15 of such and such" or "I have 8 of this card." How cute. I smiled and thought, "I used to be that person."

I'm not proud that I own so much of the same card, I've actually gone most of my collecting life trying to have as few duplicates as I can. But when you've got it, flaunt it.

So I pulled the boxes out of the closet and -- why not? -- let's count them up and see how much I have now. I expected to count a few less than 868, maybe 861 or something. But then the back of my brain asked, "What if they've multiplied in your darkened closet?"

OK, brain. You and your stupid movie-watching and conspiracy theories. There's no way that's happening.
 
So I counted up.

And when I was done, I marveled at the total:

896.


What the heck.

They HAD multiplied!!

😳

Um. OK. So I tried to be as calm as I could and rationalize. Maybe I had added the extra Karros cards that I had owned before receiving this lovely package of repetition to the 868. But that would be 28 more of that card and I know I didn't have that many.

It's more possible that I had under-counted the first time and there was more than 868 all along.

But my brain was still whispering "they've multiplied! What else is in your closet????"

So as composed as I could, I uploaded the Karros picture of the now 896 cards and proudly, but still somewhat disturbed, told the Twitter person who had asked the question that the most of one card I have is 896(!) of the '92 UD Karros card. I did not say anything about the reproducing in the closet.

So ...
 
Now there was the matter of putting the cards back in the boxes, since I had spread them all out on the floor like that. And as I was starting to assemble them in stacks, my brain piped up and said, "count them again."

No, brain, no. I am not counting them again. I have things to do. Important, non-spooky things that make sense to do.

But, the brain won. I counted them again.
 
And ...


900!!

On the dot.

😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

They're multiplying in broad daylight??????

So, that's where we are. They're back in the closet. Plotting.

I don't plan to count them again. If the number grows to a 1,000 or something I'm going to have to sell the house. And I like it here. ... I think.

I am now jealous of the person who said the most he had was eight of some card.

Let's get back to a couple of cards that I know I have only one of.



These are the latest two cards I plucked off the Time Traveling stack over at Diamond Jesters. I don't know how I missed the wonderful '84 Jorge Orta O-Pee-Chee card all the previous times I viewed what was available. That Royals-Blue Jays combination is so sweet.
 
I actually had chosen a different card other than the Alex Johnson card, but Matt was nice enough to alert me that it might not meet my condition standards. It didn't. So I got this Johnson card instead and love it!
 
I am going to try to limit both of these cards to just the one. Because we now know what happens when I put extras in the closet.

Shut up, brain.

Comments

Jimetal7212 said…
Maybe if they keep multiplying you'll have enough for an extension to your card room...made of cards.
Old Cards said…
That has to be a world record. I can't imagine anyone else owning 897 of the same card. How does the 1965 Alex Johnson fit into your collection? Did you complete the 1965 Topps set and this card is a replacement? Just curious, because it is one of my favorite sets.
night owl said…
I just like the '65 set. I'm not trying to complete it but if there's a chance to grab a card for nothing I'll do it.
Old Cards said…
Got it! It is a classic set.
steelehere said…
I’m glad you still get a kick out of the Karros cards I sent you.
Billy Kingsley said…
Wow, that's both a little scary and also hilarious at the same time. I keep track of my collection count in three places and none of them match, the Excel project I've been posting about will hopefully solve that riddle once and for all.

The most I ever counted of one card was 86 copies, but then I bought a collection in 2017 that had 135 copies of the same card. Oddly enough it was a card you could only get as part of a mail away set and there was only one copy of each of the other cards. I have given several away but still have a bunch.
Nick said…
I always hear about the "gremlins" taking away our cards, but I've never heard a story about them making cards multiply!

One thing I've long accepted about myself is that I'll never understand why people would want more than one copy of a card. I get it for someone like yourself who's a team & set collector, which sometimes overlaps for various projects - but for the life of me why would anyone *want* 100 copies of the same card??
Fuji said…
Over the years, I've come across huge lots of single cards in collections I've purchased at the flea market or on CL, but I usually pass them along to Goodwill or flip them on CL. I did purchase a collection years ago that had around 80 copies of Will Clark's 1987 Topps card. I held onto those.
Now I have to check how many of this card I have. And then send them to you. Ha!
Old Cards said…
Sorry. I should have said I can't imagine anyone else owning "901" of the same card. I saw that 65 Topps card and my brain lost focus.
bryan was here said…
900 1992 Upper Deck Eric Karros cards could probably cover a wall in your card room.
Matt said…
Just a fun fact I had to look up: The "official" leader for most total Eric Karros cards on the TCDB only has 393.