Skip to main content

Cardboard appreciation, the review 2 (semifinal 1)


The aptly named Killer slaughtered the field in the final round of the first round of Cardboard Appreciation, The Review 2.

Everyone saw it coming. The beloved slugger. The autograph. The bevy of bats. Keep walking son. There's no competition to see here.

But if you must, here are the vote totals:

1. Harmon Killebrew, 1970 Topps: 22 votes
2. David Nied, 1993 Stadium Club insert: 9 votes
3. Johnny Grubb, 1977 Topps: 5 votes
4. Dan Quisenberry, 1985 Topps: 5 votes
5. Astros Leaders (Yogi Berra), 1987 Topps: 4 votes
6. B.J. Upton, 2009 OPC: 4 votes
7. Gerald Laird, 2009 Topps: 0 votes
8. Dennis Leonard, 1979 Topps: 0 votes

Killebrew is the last of the eight semifinalists. And since I'm in a hurry to wrap up this vote-off and find the second member of the Cardboard Appreciation Hall of Fame, that means I'm going to position the first four semifinalists against each other and get to this final swiftly.

The nominees, please:


1. 1971 Topps Lindy McDaniel: This is a mood-setter card. I like mood-setter cards. McDaniel still looks like he's in the Coliseum and the lions are about ready to be let loose any moment. But he's paying no mind.


2. 1956 Topps Vic Power: Wouldn't it be weird if Power was actually out on this play?


3. 1973 Topps Luis Alvarado: I am secretly sending out hypnotic vibes that will cause everyone to vote for this card. ... OK, I guess it's not a secret anymore. Just vote for it. I don't care if I've just tainted the whole voting process.


4. 1955 Topps Jackie Robinson: I feel silly saying this, but: Forget for a moment that this is a 1955 card or that it's Jackie Robinson. The make-up/uniqueness of the card is the most important thing here. But if you can't discount Jackie or 1955, I hear ya.

Have I made it difficult enough for you?

Good. I need company.

Poll is on the sidebar.

Comments

I love 1956 Topps cards. I love 1956 Topps play at the plate cards the most. I don't care how many early 70's cars are in the shot.
Anonymous said…
I've always loved that Lindy McDaniel card and this is my chance to show it. It's got my vote!
Anonymous said…
This is tough.

The Jackie is the first one out. You're right - if you forget that it's Jackie and the required level of awe due to its '55 stature....it doesn't garner top prize.

The other three are all very close.

The '71 is epic in nature. I am loving this set more and more, and might soon add it to the "let's build this" pile. The distance of the photo is attractive to me because it does indeed set the mood and transport you to the big stage.

The '56 is one of our favorite sets because it provides both order (square lines, boxed in text) and art (profile head pic, full-colored background secondary action shot). In this case, you get an incredible 'play at the plate' scene with Mr. Power and it just gets a little better. I think that if we included the backs of the cards, it would make this one the undeniable champ.

The '73 is also a great design and, undoubtedly, will be built at some point. I enjoyed an entire mornign of research a few weeks ago in order to dissect this card. It has a lot of mysteries surrounding it that we may never know the answer to. And mystery is always good. The time machine effect of this card is pretty over-whelming. It occured before my time, but I feel as if I am there - and that makes it a great card no matter who the player is, where the picture is taken or what team it involves.

What to do....what to do.....

Mystery and old-school feel? The '73

The epic big stage of baseball?
The '71

Overall winner for classic, eye-pleasing and artistic card design that just needs to be appreciated by everyone?

The '56 Vic Power.

Mark it, dude.