Skip to main content

Anniversary No. 3


Today is the third anniversary of Night Owl Cards.

When I first started this blog, little Night Owl was a young, eager-to-please, cardboard lover filled with exclamation points and golly-gee-whizisms.

It took a little while, but I'm not as golly-gee anymore. Although I still enjoy blogging just as much as I did in the beginning, I'm less apt to go happily along with what everyone else is doing -- whether they be a collector or a blogger-collector. I just do my own thing. It just took some time to figure out that what you're supposed to do in blogging is merely what you want to do.

So this is what I want to do:

I have another blog as you know. It's devoted to the 1975 Topps set. It's about to end in a week or two. I enjoy doing it. It's a pleasant diversion into the past and, for the most part, less friction-filled than Night Owl Cards.

It's also a drain on my time. Over the last year or so, I've felt more rushed in my posts on Night Owl Cards. There are many ideas that I've cast aside because I don't have the time. Part of the blame for that can be a busier life than I had in 2008. But it also can be attributed to devoting time to the '75 blog.

I know some people want me to do another "set blog" after the '75 blog is over. And I'm reasonably certain that I will. I think I've gotten the set all picked out, too (No, I'm not telling you yet). But it's not going to happen right away.

I'm just going to stick with Night Owl Cards for now. Try to get the inspiration flowing again with a one-blog-only strategy. When I feel the time is right, I'll announce another set blog.

Who knows, maybe I'll get bored doing just NOC and you'll see a new blog before the month is out. But don't count on it.

All I know now is that there will be a year four of Night Owl Cards.

So plan for the usual for another year. Sometimes I'll like vintage. Sometimes I'll like modern. Sometimes I'll act like a paid employee for Topps. Sometimes I'll hate everything. Sometimes I'll enjoy beat up old cards. Sometimes I'll want all my cards shiny and sharp. Sometimes I'll go on a trade post binge. Sometimes I'll avoid trade posts like they were anthrax.

In other words, I'll do whatever the hell I want.

I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for reading and commenting the first three years.

Comments

BASEBALL DAD said…
A very Happy Hootday to you sir !
I always enjoy reading your work.
Ryan G said…
I've only been reading blogs since around January, but yours is one of the first I started reading and regardless of your mood it's always a fun read. Congrats on your anniversary! I agree that writing whatever you feel like is the best way to blog.
Nachos Grande said…
Do what you want! You've got one of the best blogs out there - and a knack for telling stories about cards that most of us (myself definitely included) can only wish we could attain.
Johngy said…
Sounds like a good plan.
SpastikMooss said…
Congrats! Blogging is hard yo. As a two year-er I commend you for getting to three!
John Bateman said…
Congrats your the Blog of Blogs
Alfredo Ortega said…
Congrats and hope there are more and more to come!!
capewood said…
I started Capewood's Collections in 2008 as well. And it's getting harder to keep up the enthusiasm. So happy anniversary and keep up the good work.
Hackenbush said…
Keep doing whatever you f&^*ing want to. I'll keep reading your dumb@@s s@#t. Seriously though, Happy Anniversary! Dodgers and Cubs in the NLCS next year? Yeah, I know.
Cardhobbyist said…
Congrats on sticking it with it. I hope I can keep blogging as long as you have.
Anonymous said…
Whatever the hell you want is just fine. Congrats!
Paul Hadsall said…
Congratulations on your blog anniversary!
dayf said…
Hooray! Congrats! Woo Hoo! Mazel Tov! um.. Yay!
Robert said…
Congratulations on the third anniversary, keep on doing what you're doing, it's a great read every day.
Dodgerbobble said…
Happy anniversary! Keep doing your thing Night Owl, we all love it. NOC is one the first blogs I check in on when I turn on the computer in the morning.
Jim said…
Happy anniversary, and many, many more!
steelehere said…
Congrats on three years. Also no matter the year, I'll also be a reader of the set that follows 1975 Topps.
Please say it's 1979 Topps. That way I won't feel the need to start another blog...

Seriously, I know how much of a time drain it is to do multiple blogs (I have four of them) and to do them all on a schedule. At some point, you wonder if you're putting too much into one at the expense of the others.

While I'm going to be sad to see Hank wrapping up the 1975 set, I'll still keep an eye on what you're putting up here. Here's to more anniversary posts in the future.
Maybe once you finish the '75 set, I'll have more time to work on my own neglected blog.

Happy Blogobirthday! You're one of the best around and I look forward to every post.
Matthew Glidden said…
Congratulations. This reminded me how just three years after they started printing cards in 1948, Topps released their first significant baseball sets...and was only another year away from becoming an institution. May it go so well for you!