Skip to main content

Cardboard appreciation, the review 2: the champion


Have you ever thought you've said everything you could say about a card, that there are no more words left, and anything else would be pointless regurgitation?

I have that experience every time I come to the end of one of these Cardboard Appreciation vote-offs. By the time the championship card is revealed, that card has been featured at least four or five different times. I can't find anything new to say.

So I'll just reveal the championship round vote totals:

1. 1971 Topps Lindy McDaniel: 32 votes
2. 1978 Topps Doug Ault: 27 votes

And I'll just say this:

Lindy McDaniel's 1971 Topps card, a truly worthy champion, is the second entrant into the Cardboard Appreciation Hall of Fame. I've even created a page to honor the champions, up at the top of the blog, on the right there.

If you visit the Hall, it'll be kind of boring there, with just two cards. But I plan on doing this vote-off thing over and over, so eventually there will be a bunch of Hall of Fame members to stare at and marvel over. It'll be like going to an art gallery and admiring the paintings. Except this will be better. They'll be baseball cards. They'll make sense.

Thanks to everyone for voting.

Next week, I'll get back to the weekly Cardboard Appreciations and do what I do best -- expend way too much energy overanalyzing cardboard.

Congrats, Lindy.

Comments