Skip to main content

1-4-me

 
This card is appropriate and timely for me and my blog.

It is a card of my favorite team, of someone who was inducted into the Hall of Fame this year. It specifically mentions a night game, though the photo doesn't appear to be at night. Also, the whole set is in newspaper format. I produce part of a newspaper almost every day.

But I've written about that stuff and this card before. The key part today is the appearance of Gil Hodges' number.

Fourteen years ago today, I started Night Owl Cards.

It's crazy how long ago that was. But the hobby will tell you exactly how long. Collecting is almost nothing like it was in 2008, when the Target in town was just one year old and I'd go there weekly to see rows of Allen & Ginter greeting me from shelves every time.

Today, the Target is still there but I don't go there much. There's nothing on the shelves I want. Baseball is nonexistent. We complained about cards back then but we had no idea.

Discussing the hobby is a lot different, too. Blogging isn't as important to people. That's pretty clear. This blog isn't as important to people anymore. That's definitely clear. I could list the ways, but let's just say that the numbers on yesterday's card show post were as if I was writing in 2011 again.

Back in 2011, and prior, I'd keep posts shorter and content wasn't as deep as it is now.

I feel this post going in the same direction.


They say that gifts for 14th wedding anniversaries are ivory-related. I've got a couple ivory-themed cards, including one of Chris Ivory's brief appearance with the Buffalo Bills.
 
 

Ivory Crockett from good ol' Allen & Ginter, when A&G was a tribute and not a calculated marketing ploy.
 


The old Philadelphia A's elephant logo is a fun twist on the ivory theme.
 
So, yeah, not a lot of thought for this anniversary post. No giveaways either. That big 5,000-post one wore me out.
 
But I do have one card for me (1-4-me!) that I'm choosing to believe was sent to celebrate the blog anniversary.


This card arrived yesterday.

It came from the Baseball Card Store.ca. Totally unexpected. It was a gift. "Go Dodgers," it said in the accompanying (Christmas) card. And, yes, it was definitely a need.

There are still many signs that people are out there reading. Maybe it's not in the waves of even a couple of years ago, but it's there, even if I the number of commenters who have vanished into thin air match the leaves on the trees out in the front yard (there are 3 large ones).

Looking ahead, no big plans for the blog. I may cut back a little more just because I can feel my energy lessening for the once-a-day stuff. But, who knows, that may pass and I'll be back to typing out some epic that nobody has time to read.

Thanks for reading, those of you who still do. And for those of you who stopped blogging, went to Twitter and now do nothing but sell cards on there ... what happened to you, man?

Comments

Nachos Grande said…
Happy Anniversary! Like you, I miss the "old days" when blogging was where it was at. I find it nearly impossible to think that I used to complete 100+ trades a year via my blog alone. Now, if it weren't for TCDB I don't think I'd complete 10 trades a year. I wonder, though, if it's more of a case of baseball card collectors dwindling (not baseball card BUYERS but actual collectors, people who would chose to read baseball card blogs).
Matt said…
Happy 14th to the best hobby blog around!
Happy anniversary for sure. I appreciate the folks who still blog, can't get myself into Twitter and such.
Jeremya1um said…
Congrats on 14 years! I wish I was there in the early days, but I’m glad I started blogging 8 or so years ago and found yours.
Wrigley Wax said…
Congrats on 1-4. I appreciate the time and effort you put into posting on a daily basis.
RDM said…
Your blog is a "must read" for both its subjects and your insights. And while I read but don't comment because I question whether I can add much of note, at least I can offer my appreciation for your work, and longevity, on your blogging anniversary.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Congrats! Figuring out the pace of a blog is the toughest part of keeping it alive for so long. I'm impressed you manage to b almost daily still. I can barely manage a post a week.
Old Cards said…
Happy Anniversary! The large amount of time and energy you put into this blog is very evident.
Nick said…
A very happy blog-o-versary to you, sir! The fact that you've been blogging pretty much daily for 14 years is still staggering to me. My blog reading usually comes in chunks these days, but I always make sure to catch up on anything I missed here at Night Owl Cards when I scroll through my blogroll. Your blog makes me enjoy collecting all the more.
Brett Alan said…
As far as I'm concerned, blogs, and especially this one, will be "where it's at" until the day you're not here anymore.
GTT said…
Congrats on 14! Long time to be blogging. I was one when you started this blog.
Crocodile said…
Hey it's a blog-versary! I feel like I've missed out on so much and wish I would have discovered this a long, long time ago. Congrats!
sg488 said…
Congrats,always enjoy reading your blog.
Bo said…
Congratulations on the anniversary. This blog has influenced me greatly and many other collectors as well.
Derek said…
Happy blogoversary!

Steve and Nancy over at baseballcardstore.ca are great people. They've even dropped off cards right to my door!
Jon said…
Happy 14th, Mr. Owl!
Glad it arrived in time for the anniversary(of course i knew) lol.
Overall blogging numbers are down according to an article i skimmed through.
Having long ago scrapped the local newspaper, i'm here often for a good read and gander at some want-lists. Heres' to another 14
Thank-you for your passion for the hobby.
PS Dime time is back!
I know that I don't comment as much as I probably should, given how much I enjoy reading you blog. You have had a profound impact on how I enjoy collecting with my daughter since I started reading.

We're actually sitting in a Cafe in Budapest reading today's blog right now! (We're from Austin, TX).

Congratulations on 14 years and we hope you know how much you've added to our enjoyment of our favorite hobby.
simpson said…
like all the others, congrats on 14 years to the best card blog out there. truly a must read given all the compelling stories, thoughts, observations, etc. seriously man, congrats!
Jafronius said…
Much belated happy blogiversary! Keep on posting!