Skip to main content

Parade of PWE pyramids

The spending moratorium has ended. Cash is flowing again.

It's been a while since I had an August like that. It used to be a regular thing -- every August I knew money would be tight -- but the last few years we had somehow avoided it. Then, thanks mostly to pandemic-related bureaucracy, cash-strapped August made its triumphant return.

But enough of that! Trading is back. Online card purchasing is resuming. And, most importantly, I've found monies for approaching card shows and post-office trips!
 
I'll be gathering together a couple of envelopes for sends this weekend. Meanwhile I have received a series of PWEs. Even with my professional writing talents, I have a difficult time devoting one post toward a PWE. So you're going to see a parade of them. Don't worry, it's a short parade, not one of those with 46 school bands, each one stopping in their tracks to play the The Muppet Show Theme.
 
I'll even put them in pyramid form for you.
 
First the latest Time Travel Trade from Diamond Jesters. It still amazes me how relatively few of us participate in these. All you need is a slightly older card to send to obtain a card you want.

This time I found a 1969 Topps need (the set is the latest add to my want list) and a 1978 OPC. The '75 Cesar Geronimo, of course, I have already. But I've decided I will take any '75 Topps that I see out in the wild and in decent shape. I welcome you to send them, too. I should have a stockpile of these to distribute '75 love through the whole card collecting world.


Zippy Zappy is back, blogging and sending Sega Card Gen cards! It's 2015 again! I missed getting these cards. Zippy threw in a card from Topps' Designated Dodger Rookie It Will Put In Every Set for 2022.
 
 
These cards arrived from Baseball Card Breakdown. You probably saw the cards I sent Gavin in his recent post. Tell me these cards don't sum up Gavin And Cards. Two 2005 Retired Signature autographs and a custom card from a custom series about bubble gum blowing.

Also the Tom Murphy at the top of the post is from him. He's about the only one who remembers that I used to pull Murphy's cards at an alarming rate.


I'll have to triple-up the pyramids for the envelope Max from Starting Nine sent. (In fact, this might not have been a PWE, oops).

These are the fresh-and-fancy Dodgers from the envelope. Two of those guys are with the Dodgers still. I suppose Corey Seager is finding out what his brother was talking about playing for the Mariners all those years.

There were more Sabres in the envelope. These '90s ones may tip the Sabres binder into Officially Full-Send No More. We'll see.

How about that contrast between cards? I don't care how packed my Sabres binder is, I will always accept 1970-71 Sabres. Love this look. And Gil Perreault's rookie card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll dispense with the pyramids to show two more items from Max singularly.
 

This drew my attention because I had never seen 1988-89 Panini stickers nor Glenn Healy in an old-school Kings uniform.

But the sticker was sent because of the Phil Housley picture.


Here's another single card with multiple players. (I'm still taking blurry shots you guys) You can tell it's from 2008 because of the Andruw Jones sighting. I will actively root against any Andruw Jones For the Hall of Fame campaign for the rest of my days, Mr. .505 OPS.

Those are -- mostly -- the end of the recent PWEs.

I am looking forward to once again having a card collecting budget and bestowing cards and hitting-the-flea-market-in-town-just-because-you-never-know. August and March are probably my two least favorite months and now you know the "why" about August.

If you don't know about March, you have not been paying attention.

Comments

bryan was here said…
Wow, I need that Glenn Healy! He wasn't in the Topps or OPC base sets that year. Surprised to see him on a sticker-back card. Topps did sneak in a couple in their football sticker card backs that year (Weegie Thompson!)
Love those bubble gum custom cards from Gavin.
Bo said…
Got a couple more PWEs heading your way.
jacobmrley said…
It was technically a PME (plain manilla envelope) but it certainly counts, especially where frugality is concerned.
Jon said…
That last card sure is strange. I can't even determine whether I like it or not, because I don't understand what's going on with it?
Zippy Zappy said…
It's indeed been a while, not sure how long it'll last but appreciating it for now.
Fuji said…
I'd say September is my least favorite month... but August is right up there. Since I only work 10 months out of the year, I only collect 10 paychecks and August isn't one of them. Plus August is always too hot for my liking... and represents the return to work. The reason it doesn't beat out September as worst month of the year? The first two weeks of August are still part of summer break.

Some very cool PWE's. I've got one from Zippy sitting on my desk that I'm gonna tear into today.