Skip to main content

All right, here it is

 
I mentioned dismissively a few weeks ago that I had bought a blaster of 2022 Topps Series 2 with one of my birthday gift cards.

I wasn't going to show it. I don't have anything to say about 2022 Topps anymore, as often happens when Series 2 comes out. It was pretty underwhelming while I was opening it -- my lack of enthusiasm is evidenced in that I still don't have all the Dodgers from the set (hoping to get the rest cheap at the card show).

But I was stuck for a quick-and-easy post. I'm real busy lately and there's no time for thoughtful research that will require lists and comparisons and ... oh lordy, where is that Series 2 box? Let's get this over with.
 
So I selected a handful of cards from the blaster that I thought were interesting enough. The cards kind of grew on me in the ensuing weeks. Besides, it's not like there's anything else current out there to show off.
 
Here's a smattering:
 
 
#622 - Kenta Maeda, Twins

Players who used to be so prominent in my mind as Dodgers and then disappear into the ether/onto a Midwest team that never gets my attention fascinate me. It's like finding a long-lost cousin. In my first look at Kenta Maeda's Twins stats, I see, well, he hasn't played at all this year.



#378 - Willy Adames, Brewers

Willy Adames has the potential to be a Legend Of Cardboard. Most of his Topps cards have been pretty good since arriving in the league.
 


#537 - Oneil Cruz, Pirates

Collecting cards today means feeling like you've been pulling a guy's cards for 10 years before his rookie card shows up. In this particular case, it's because Oneil Cruz started out a Dodger, which means the Pirates need to be nice. The Dodgers practically gave him to you, now don't decide you're not going to sign him three years from now and let him go to the Yankees!



#509 - Spencer Strider, Braves

I didn't know who Spencer Strider was the first time a pulled a card of his earlier this year. I know who he is now. Still, I'm actively avoiding watching Braves games this year, because I know I'll be seeing plenty of them in October. I can feel that Astros-Braves repeat coming.



#87TB-5 - Vladimir Guerrero Jr., 1987 insert, blue parallel

I've been sitting on this card for awhile. This is how you make the '87 design interesting to me again. It's super pretty. I'm not against trading it, but it's going to have to be something nice in exchange.
 


#559 - Angel Zerpa, Royals

I don't know why I uploaded this card. I just like the name and his cards have started to pop up everywhere lately.
 


But ...


... Zerpa is no Myles Straw!

This is probably in the top five of the best cards of 2022 as of this writing. Keep in mind Stadium Club is still out there but likely will be released in July 2023, so it's got a good chance.

Oh ...

#391 - Jordan Romano, Blue Jays (butts!!)
#654 - Myles Straw, Guardians



#367 - MVP meets rookie, checklist

The laziness is off the chart on this one. What the heck does "Game respects game" mean?

Also, the back identifies the player on the right simply as "Bryce," which should be enough for most to go on, but why chance it? The player on the left is identified as "This Generation's Young Phenom" and that's it. I could deduce the name after about 15 seconds but there's a young phenom showing up every year, Topps, please get specific.



#443 - Luis Arraez, Twins
#383 - Andy Ibanez, Rangers

Major League players are flexible.


Very.

#577 - Roman Quinn, Phillies
 


#451 - Randy Dobnak, Twins

Randy Dobnak needs to stay around for 20 more years so there will always be a Fu-Manchu goggle-wearer on the mound. ... I see that he hasn't played for the Twins all season also.

OK, I was going to show Justin Verlander's card but I'm ready for him to go away. Moving on:
 


#BH-SO - Shohai Ohtani, Angels, Commemorative Batting Helmet Card

These things are ... impressive.

It's immediately in contention for the thickest "card" that I own and I want to pet that helmet for a good half hour. I like the shiny corners, too. It's kind of a marvel in that way that you don't understand, like Habitat 67 in Montreal, which I've driven past and is bizarre to view but admittedly has more purpose than a commemorative batting helmet card.

But it's an Ohtani commemorative -- dammit, "commemorative" is hard to spell -- batting helmet, which is better than a (*looks at checklist*) Ketel Marte or Manny Machado commemorative batting helmet.
 
So, those of you who wanted to see this blaster, there you are. Sorry you waited so long.
 
Could these be the last 2022 cards I buy in 2022?
 
Could be.

Comments

Mike Matson said…
That Vlad Jr is a nice one. I'm kind of stuck for ideas on posts right now. I was going to do one on 87 OPC since I'm 90% completed the set, but it's 87.. What can be said that hasn't been done to death already??

Jordan Romano is always nice to see.. Canadian Closer on the Jays
I am ready for an onslaught of new releases. Bring them , NOW. :)
Nick said…
Topps snuck some nice cards into Series 2 - Ibanez & Straw are especially fantastic - but they seemed to get lost in the usual why-does-Series-2-even-exist mire. It'll be interesting to see what the rest of the card year looks like since so many major releases got pushed back.
Brett Alan said…
Just want to second the motion that the multi-player cards NEED to give the player's names. That's, like, the absolute minimum you need from a baseball card is to have the name of the person whose card it is on it.
TwinKiller said…
I like Maeda from out of that deal, but I think I would of chosen Brusdar over him. A nice young arm. Those are some nice cards.
Crocodile said…
Maeda had Tommy John surgery and is still rehabbing. If you don't want that Arraez card I'll take it. And those helmet cards are cool but super thick and heavy. Not sure if I'll be collecting those.
Bo said…
Photos are pretty good at least.
Doc Samson said…
Thank you again, Mr. Owl. I have only bought a few loose packs of 2022 Topps, but overall I think it’s a decent set.

There really is nothing special about it, but there’s nothing really bad about it, either. It’s like your old reliable SUV you use for errands, but would never drive to a fancy wedding.
You nailed it: underwhelming
Trevor P said…
The Straw card is nice, but I would put Ibanez and Quinn both over it in the Card of the Year race.
Fuji said…
A. Sure hope Maeda comes back better than ever. Game respects game. That made me smile. I should say your writeup made me smile.

B. That Vladimir insert is cool. I love colored borders that match the team's colors... even when it's wood grain.

C. Game Respects Game. Seeing that made me smile. Let me clarify my comment. Seeing your response to Topps made me smile. By the way... I have no idea who Bryce is hugging, but I'm happy he has his respect.