Skip to main content

No. 202 of 55 on '04 from '91

I had intended to show off the incredible perfect storm of a mail day that came my way Monday and use many words to describe the wonderful, but the combination of Super Bowl prep, the start of the Olympics and the winter storm is kicking my butt.

All I have for you is just one card from that haul. But it's a pretty good one.

This arrived from Gavin of Baseball Card Breakdown. It was a thank you for being one of the main commenters on his 1991 Musicards Blog, which just celebrated its one-year anniversary.
 
It was nothing to comment on his blog. I love that set and have completed it. My appreciation for music is apparently a lot more intense than many of the card bloggers because there should be a lot more people commenting on that blog!
 
Anyway, Gavin announced he would be sending out something special for the top commenters. I expected something musical in nature, perhaps one of those special customs that he does so well.
 
But when I opened the elaborate packaging it was nothing less than one of my Top 10 Most Wanted Dodger autographs! The Bulldog! No. 55!
 
Woo! That's a beauty.
 
Of course, Gavin is well-known for his love of 2004 Topps black refractors. He even had a post featuring a bunch of them a week ago. I also like them a lot, but I probably have only a handful of non-autographed ones. I don't even know if I have a signed one without going to look (and there's no time for that).
 
This is pretty much the main missing card signature in my collection. Out of my five favorite Dodgers -- Ron Cey, Sandy Koufax, Orel Hershiser, Hideo Nomo and Clayton Kershaw -- he was the only one whose signature wasn't on a card I owned.
 
You long-time readers know I do have something signed from Hershiser, signed specifically for "Night Owl." But that's a photo (prominently displayed in my card room) and I'm pretty much all about the cards.
 
This is my 202nd different Dodger autograph in my collection so, yeah, I guess 300 is a mission, although I'm going to have to pick up the pace.
 
Go check out the 1991 MusiCards blog. Broaden your musical and card horizons.
 
I have. And look what it got me.

Comments

Nick said…
I feel like I've been slacking on my commenting across the blogs lately - have to change that, especially with Gavin's blog because who doesn't love a good musical-card set? Very cool of him to send you that Hershiser!
bbcardz said…
That is one awesome Dodger auto, congrats!
Fuji said…
Very cool card. Hershiser doesn't have a lot of certified autographs. I'm hoping Topps includes him in their Fan Favorites set again one of these days.
Anonymous said…
I was told there would be no math.
Doc Samson said…
That is such a beautiful card. It reminds me of Hershiser’s legendary performance in 1988. Somehow that card also sparks another memory from 1988 — the movie “Married to the Mob.” Don’t ask me why.
defgav said…
Glad I could surprise you with something special!

Kicking myself for being so slow about putting it in the mail after I first had the thought to give you Orel (forgive the phrasing, lol), because then it likely would have been your big 200th. sigh!

Yeah, next year's prize(s) will most likely be music/custom related, but I've only recently been getting back into the custom-making groove, so couldn't get it together in time this year.

And thanks for the plug! I should really try posting there more than once a month and maybe that'll help things pick up.
Jafronius said…
Congrats on the Orel! Defgav is good people
Jon said…
That is one sexy card!