Skip to main content

Intentional and unintentional set completion

This is that weird week where school and some government people are off but I'm not -- which gets even more awkward when members of the same household are off but I am not.
 
In other words, my time is not my own this week. Let's see if I can pound out a post before I'm swept off somewhere.
 

I finally completed the 2021 Update Dodgers team set the other day. The Corey Knebel card did not arrive when I ordered the team set online (a Royals card arrived in its place). When I alerted the seller, he said he'd get Knebel right out. He never did. Or the postal system ate it.
 
I put the card on my Nebulous 9 and reader Rich came to the rescue. What a relief. Very frustrating to have dupes of a parallel of this card but not the actual base card. More from Rich in a later post. Good stuff, too.
 
 
This card also completed a team set. I discovered that the Don Drysdale card was missing from what I thought was a completed team for the 1978 TCMA set, the 1960s. That had to be rectified immediately. Now it's here and, no, I'm not going to look for the black-back variation.

But I will show you the entire team set:


Terrific.

For you not so familiar with '60s Dodgers, across from the top is Don Drysdale, Willie Davis, Jim Gilliam and Maury Wills. Then there is Tommy Davis, Sandy Koufax, Johnny Podres and Willie Crawford. Next is John Roseboro, Dick "Turk" Farrell, Frank Howard and Jim Lefebvre. Claude Osteen is off to the side.

The Farrell addition is a bit odd as he spent only 1961 with the Dodgers. But it's also appreciated because there aren't a lot of cards with Farrell in a Dodgers uniform. TCMA came out with a second "1960s" set a few years later and filled out the rest of the Dodgers. I have a lot of work to do with that one.
 

Then there is this.

This was a return mailing from reader Ken. I sent him some of my Dodgers surplus items (I will be wrapping up the Dodger giveaway next week). There was no need to send anything back but I do appreciate flashy, random items.

Diamond Kings sure got weird in the '90s. This insert set is from 1992 Triple Play, and if I knew '92 Triple Play had inserts, I have since forgotten. At 12 cards, its the whole set. I'm glad at least one set in the '90s was able to contain itself and not include a Will Clark card.


Ken added a few other random cards including this 2005 Shawn Green relic. Cool! I think I'm back to double figures on Green relics. I paired down my Green relics awhile ago, but I don't see myself doing that again. It'd be kind of mean to Green to get rid of his cards twice.

So that's all I have for you. At least there's evidence that I'm doing card things with these completions. I found these, too, this week.

Opening next week.

Comments

bbcardz said…
I'd never seen those TCMA cards before--they're pretty nice! Claude Osteen was the starting pitcher for the Dodgers when I attended my first game at Dodger Stadium.
jacobmrley said…
Those TCMA sets from the late 70s and early 80s use the best photos. Even the boring portraits have some great personality.
John Bateman said…
I wish the Frank Howard would have been centered better. I wish the TCMA set had Wes Parker.
Mike said…
I really liked those Gallery of Stars inserts, as they felt like the last Diamond Kings style cards before the artwork got really funky in 1994. My friends and I opened up many packs of Triple Play back in the day, yet never pulled one, making the 1:6 insert rate feel way off.
Nick said…
Never seen so many of those "Gallery of Stars" in one place. They sure look flashy all together!
Fuji said…
That Gallery of Stars set is cool. Always enjoyed the Diamond Kings (and this set's) checklist, because it contained a wide variety of players (kind of like Topps and their fan favorites). Although it's weird that 2/3's of the checklist features AL players... and out of the four NL's... two of them are Braves.
Chris said…
If that's the same Ken I've come across, he is one very generous fella.

Some nice photos in that TCMA set, especially the Podres and Davis.

Those Gallery of Stars inserts were so loud! They really would jump right out of a Triple Play pack (which I dont think I ever bought at the time. 1992 Topps, on the other hand... looking forward to seeing those 30-year old packs :)
Jon said…
Happy completed sets! :)
AdamE said…
Actually I think Will Clark would have fit in that set better than Frank Voila. Voila doesn't exactly give the Gallery of Stars vibe.
night owl said…
Well, I'm glad you weren't the one deciding set content in 1992.