Skip to main content

A love letter to OPC

 
How much do I love O-Pee-Chee?

I love it this much:







💖💖💖💖💖💖💖💖

There are so many great sets for O-Pee-Chee variations and the 1981 one is one of the very best. Not only do the changing colors on the border frames make these cards as exciting as seeing an amusement park at night, but the set spelled out the position names on the front so you get to see the wonderfully wacky-to-us-Amuricans spellings. "Premier-But?"

Like so:


I can't believe how cheaply I landed this Eddie Murray. Sure, it's off-center, but who is picking up OPC cards looking for perfection?



I also added some Dodger needs. There is still quite a ways to go on finishing the team set.

But that's OK, I have a lot to do in the O-Pee-Chee area. And I'm looking forward to all of it.

There is so much to love.

Comments

Crocodile said…
I don't know if I'll ever love O-Pee-Chee, it's always been an after thought for me, but every now and then I see an complete set popup and may eventually break down and buy one.
I love OPC too! I just picked a half dozen or so up from 79-81.
steelehere said…
Vintage OPC is the best.

Normally today is one of my favorite days of the year for MLB because the NFL is done. Sadly, it doesn’t look like MLB is starting anytime soon.
Nick said…
Hard to resist a nice helping of OPC. The French position designations alone are worth the price of admission.
Brett Alan said…
I bought a complete 1977 OPC set many many years ago, and it was a great purchase. Always happy to grab more OPCs when I find them at shows.
Fuji said…
I love OPC baseball too! My interest in these Canadian cards is fairly new though (past decade or so). When I was a kid... I thought they were weird. Man... I'd love to stumble across some affordable unopened OPC wax boxes from the 80's and 90's.
Nick Vossbrink said…
I've been slowly picking up the OPC Giants which show grades and stuff. Still haven't grabbed the two in his set.
Mark Hoyle said…
The only OPC I have are Redsox. Did the entire Bosox run 65-94
gregory said…
I'm also a fan of OPC. One more reason is for the card backs, which are brighter and therefore easier to read than the Topps counterparts.
Jon said…
I know that it bugs a lot of newer collectors, especially those interested in grading, but the biggest appeal for me when it comes to OPC from this era, has always been the fact that they are off-center; not to mention those oh-so-wonderful rough edges.
GCA said…
Love vintage OPC too! Especially when there are different backs ('71) or different photos ('77) etc. I've got almost all of my player collection guys in singles, but am just coming around to the fact that sets and singles are accessible. I got a batch of '78s a while ago (with some extras), and hope to find a good starter of '77s next.
gcrl said…
i really enjoy the colorful variations from 1981 and 1985. i think i would have thought opc to be odd had i not opened packs during my first summer of collecting back in 1978. from then on, they were cards that i sought out and even though i have completed the sets from 1977 through 1992 i still add singles here and there. and for those newer readers of yours who may not be aware, i had a blog dedicated to the variations between opc and topps at ohmyopc.blogspot.com