Skip to main content

Gunning for 1,000

 
I've hit the next milestone in my collection of Clayton Kershaw cards.

I'll never consider myself a player collector, but once I hit four figures on cards for a single player I'll have a difficult time convincing anyone of that. It's true, he's my favorite current player and I do chase his cards, although he has to share time with my other pursuits.


I received this 2021 Topps Gallery card from reader Rich a couple of weeks ago. This is the 899th Kershaw card in my collection.

That meant I actually had to take some time to search out something special for my 900th Kershaw card.

The trouble is "special Kershaw cards" go for prices I could not justify paying in a court of law. Even sort-of-special Kershaw cards hold loopy price tags. I miss 2011 so much.

So my 900th Kershaw card is reasonably priced, a little bit goofy, and perfect for me:


This is from the 2018-19 Montgomery Club set. It's supposed to be a sticker, but it doesn't stick, so I consider it a card, my 900th Kershaw card.

Every time I see the Montgomery Club card designs, I'm disappointed and also glad I didn't fork over the money to be part of their club. But I do like this one. 

I think it cost me 4 bucks. Who knows what the 1,000th Kershaw card will cost me.

 
Four bucks is appropriate because fourth is where I rank on Trading Card Database's list of Kershaw collections. TCDB doesn't believe I have 900 Kershaw cards but that's because I'm not done logging my collection yet. Still have a few Kershaw cards to get filed.

I don't expect I'll ever surpass the top two Kershaw dudes. Cardboardicons, a fellow blogger, is actually a Red Sox fan so he should be giving all of his Kershaw cards to me any minute now as the logical thing to do.

But I could surpass them all. You never know. Back in 2008 when Kershaw became my favorite player, I didn't expect to have this many cards of him.


I also didn't expect this card to be listed at more than $500 on TCDB.

I look at TCDB's prices with a cynical eye. They don't account for card condition and I don't know how TCDB arrives at them. But looking on ebay, yeah, that Red Hot Rookie Kershaw card is commanding some hefty sales.

This card was a throw-in with a bunch of other cards from a collector around 2009. And I have autographed cards of Kershaw from that same period that I'm sure would go for $100 each. Unfortunately I haven't been able to acquire any Kershaw autos more recent than 2010 because people suddenly figured out who he was and nothing is affordable anymore.


But the advantages of blogging in 2008 and 2009 were pretty great and I'm happy I started when I did, even if I'll never get his 2006 Bowman card.

Maybe when I'm closing in on Kershaw card 1,000, I'll see what I don't have of him in 2012 Panini Triple Play.

Comments

GTT said…
You have a very impressive Kershaw collection.

TCDB prices are kind of messed up. Being crowd-sourced has its disadvantages. One guy submitted a price of a $1,000,000 for a Billy Southworth strip card. They're supposed to have documentation for the prices, but I don't see how that's possible.

Jimetal7212 said…
Ignore the pricing you see on the DB. It's one of the, if not the biggest, weaknesses of the site really. Effort has been to make it more accurate, but it'll never get there. Never mind the pandemic craziness going around...
cynicalbuddha said…
The fact that that price is derived from one sale is enough to be suspect, but the link still works and damn if that card didn't end at 510 bucks, whether or not the buyer actually paid that well.... But with over 11,000 cards and counting I think it's safe to say you'll break 1000 pretty easy and affordably.
Hurry up will ya. Christmas will be here before you know it.
Fuji said…
Congratulations on #900! One of these days I'll enter my Kershaw cards on TCDB, but doubt I'm even at 100.
Billy Kingsley said…
I've cleared the 1000 card mark on two people, it's kind of staggering really. I'm closing in on a couple more.

The Database counts differently than I do. For me it has to be a card of the person by themselves. The Database counts team cards, league leaders, multiplayer cards, etc. whereas I keep track of those things as what they actually are.
Jafronius said…
That Montgomery Kershaw looks pretty happy to be #900, congrats!
Chris said…
900 Kershaw cards is quite an accomplishment considering his iconic status for an iconic franchise. Can't wait to see what you acquire for card #1,000.

Also, TCDB prices make no sense. I think they might be user-reported sales but I just ignore them. Doesn't surprise me that Red Hot Rookies card sold for hundreds on eBay. That's a fantastic card!
Anonymous said…
Thought this might be about the Target Dodgers set.
Mark Hoyle said…
Great milestone Greg
Nick said…
Congrats on 900! Last I checked, I think I was one Ichiro away from 900, so hopefully I'll be celebrating soon too! Boggles my mind to think that mysterious "eganz" dude is out there with well over 2,000 Kershaws...how does one accumulate so many cards of a single player??