Skip to main content

Look out for '85 Fleer

 
This is another post inspired by a Twitter prompt. I guess I can never delete Twitter from my phone -- as I've often threatened to do -- because it's pretty clear that half my blog ideas come from there now. I don't know what that says about me.

But anyway, the Twitter account Wax Pack Gods shot out a general question the other day, one of those things that always gets a response: what's your favorite Fleer design from the 1980s?
 
I could have sworn I ranked those sets ages ago on the blog, but the best I could come up with is this (probably should update that one).

So I guess I haven't done it before. And I sure don't feel like doing it now.

The short version is 1984 Fleer is my favorite of those '80s Fleer designs. It was back in 2010, it is now, it's always been -- except between 1981 and 1983, of course.

But there is another '80s Fleer set that's been creeping upward over the years, particularly the last few, probably because I'm collecting it now but also because I can't believe I missed everything that was great about the look.


1985 Fleer.

In the past, I've dismissed it as another one of Fleer's gray-border sets of the '80s, and I've never been crazy about gray-border sets. I didn't collect the set in '85 as I was in my "just-buy-the-whole-Topps-set-at-once" phase. So I missed the thrill.

The color borders in The Man In the Gray Flannel Suit set are everything, and also everything I want in a card set every year: some color, preferably color that matches the team portrayed.

The Tony Gwynn card arrived at the nest the other day from The Chronicles Of Fuji. Understandable that he had a spare. Quite generous that he sent it to me.

It's the one card that I figured I'd have the most trouble acquiring in finishing the 1985 Fleer set, which is still 60 or so cards away from completion. But now I don't have to shell out 10 bucks or whatever for the Gwynn card and I get to admire up close how the gold border matches so well with Gwynn's gear.

Fuji added a few other cards that fit into my collection:
 

A shiny Bowman insert from a few years ago. I think we can dial it down on the Piazza retro appreciation. I have now surpassed 600 cards of Piazza by merely declaring myself a Dodgers fan.
 


An unmistakable early '90s Sports Illustrated For Kids card of the best Buffalo Bills quarterback. The back asks you what team beat the Bills in Super Bowl XXV. I think that's a terribly rude question on the back of Kelly's own card.



Wooo! The one Dodger in Flair's bizarre Wave Of The Future insert set in 1998! I received another one from Baseball Card Breakdown a few years ago and I've been freaking out about it leaking all over the other cards ever since. Now I'm going to have to sequester Oily Konerko here. Fun stuff.



Finally, I had to look this one up. It's an unlicensed set from Agfa Film released in 1990. Featuring baseball legends, the cards were issued in three-card packs with a purchase of Agfa film (remember purchasing film?). This is the only Dodger in the 22-card set.

I think I might like this card even more than the Gwynn.

I suppose I should rank the '80s Fleer sets anyway since I probably got a couple readers excited that I was going to do that. Here you go:
 
1. 1984
2. 1985
3. 1983
4. 1982 (border colors you know)
5. 1981
6. 1987
7. 1988
8. 1986
9. 1989
 
Don't take it too seriously. There's not a lot of rational to why I ranked them like that, personal preference mostly.
 
The important thing is I need to get cracking on finishing the 1985 and 1986 sets, so I can tackle '87 and be done with all of the Fleer's from the '80s!
 
Then I can really do some stupid stuff. Like complete Donruss sets from the '80s.

Comments

Nick said…
'84 Fleer is my all-time favorite Fleer set, and it's really not even close. Probably put '82 second, and '81 third. Starting to come around on '85 as well.
Bo said…
Never seen an AGFA card before, neat oddball.

I might quibble a bit about individual sets but I agree 100% that early 80's Fleer was far better than late 80's.
Fuji said…
If you ever need any other Gwynns, let me know. I have most of my dupes sorted now. The AGFA came out of a dime box. I think I found an Aaron and Berra too. As for the Konerko, I considered building that set, but knew it wasn't ever going to happen. I saw it on your wantlist and figured it was better off in your collection than mine.

My Top 3 80's Fleer designs would be:

1. 1985
2. 1983
3. 1984

The rest would require some deep thought... which is not going to happen right now, because I'm about to call it an evening.
Doc Samson said…
Well done, Mr. Owl. I always had a soft spot for 1985 Fleer. I loved the team colors and 1985 Fleer had far superior printing to Topps and Donruss that year. In fact, many 1985 Topps cards looked like they were left out in the sun for three months.

As much as I admire 1984 Fleer, I wish the blue bars were the team colors. Still, 1984 Fleer is an excellent set.

And is it just me, but isn’t 1983 Fleer a bit of a trailblazer by reviving the team logo? It seems like all the major card companies followed this technique after 1983 Fleer.
Chris said…
Wait... do those Wave of the Future cards have *actual* water in them?!?

As for Fleer, I think '84 and '85 are the peak years. Didn't like '82 at all, and '89 is just a grayer version of '88. I am partial to the '88 set because it was the first year I really collected cards. Topps and Donruss were everywhere and by the end of the year I was bored with both sets. Fleer seemed a little more special somehow.
carlsonjok said…
It is interesting that you like 1985 Fleer, as it seems to reference 1968 Topps with the fabric texture.
night owl said…
@Chris ~

They have vegetable oil in them. And sparkles!

@carlsonjok ~

I have nothing against fabric themes. Just make them look nice.
bryan was here said…
'84 and '87 are my favourite Fleer sets, then the '88, '85 and '83 in no particular order. Last would probably be '82, for the less than stellar photography. Too bad, that design was pretty sweet. Honourable mention to the '86 "cartoon speech balloon" set.

I actually have the Rollie Fingers from the AGFA set. If I remember correctly, it wasn't cheap. A little pricey for a typical MSA set from the late '80s-early '90s.
Jafronius said…
I have never seen a Wave of the Future card before nor did I know that existed. Those guys have to be kept separate from the other cards right?
Nick Vossbrink said…
Whoa. Agfa cards? How did this photographer not know about those.

Also yeah 1985 Fleer I think is my favorite. I should probably build/acquire that next since my first baseball card was form that set.
Grant said…
I've never heard of Agfa Film nor those cards. The things I've learned from this blog...