Skip to main content

Nostalgia is relative

 
Today is release day for 2022 Topps and true to form I am going to work, not the store or hobby shop.

I'll wander out to Target or Walmart eventually, maybe Friday, maybe Sunday, more likely Monday, to see if there's anything left (or if it's even arrived).

There are lots of folks on Twitter who have grabbed boxes or packs or whatever. And there are even more people advertising their breaks or trying to get you to join breaks. Getting through all of those pitches is kind of a chore. It hasn't reached one of the "must-avoid" Twitter days like Election Day or when some major world event happens (Twitter: the world is ending! THE WORLD IS ENDING!). But it gets a little annoying.

Then there's this:


This story came out in The Sporting News on the occasion of 2022 Topps being released. This isn't anything I find annoying really, just something that is interesting to me, as someone who isn't nostalgic about 1987 Topps at all.
 
I've never met Ryan Fagan but I like what he's about. He is a sportswriter and a collector. He's very friendly and interactive. He loves cards and baseball and respects those who just plain collect.

But I would never consider 1987 Topps "the most nostalgic baseball card set of all-time."

The '87 set has returned to the spotlight -- again -- because Topps has trotted out 1987-themed inserts on the set's 35th anniversary because that's what it's done for every 35th anniversary set for ... um, five whole years. Nobody seems to remember that the inserts used to be "30th anniversary inserts" and that Topps just did the '87 treatment in 2017. Or nobody wants to remember this because for some collectors who grew up during that time, what is wrong with talking about 1987 Topps all the time?
 
I get it. I'm the same way -- about 1975 Topps. I'd be happy to talk about 1975 Topps all the time and I wouldn't even mind a '75-themed insert every couple of years (we did have a couple).

But I would not call '75 Topps "the most nostalgic set of all-time." (In Ryan Fagan's article he actually writes that '87 Topps "just might be the most nostalgic set of all-time." You know those headline makers, always sensationalizing everything.)

I am not nostalgic about '87 Topps because I was 21, turning 22 in 1987. I was in college. I had classes, working for the school newspaper, college girls, a job in the campus cafeteria, and beer in the bars and nightclubs to occupy my time. I bought, I think, 3 packs of '87 Topps that year. I don't remember what I pulled. I do remember thinking, "Hey, this kinda looks like '62 Topps. That's a little lame."

But overall I didn't think about it at all. So I can't be nostalgic about it. And I don't buy that "of all-time" thing.
 
Nostalgia is relative to when you grew up. People were nostalgic about the '50s when I was a kid. Few are nostalgic about the '50s anymore because a lot of those people are gone. There will be a time when no one is nostalgic about late 1980s baseball cards.

I know that '87 Topps is considered the start of the overproduction era, it had a lot of big rookies and all that. But I think the reason it gets so much play is not only because of that, but because there are so many 40 year-olds out there collecting cards. I'm sure Topps is aware of that. The kids who were part of that junk wax boom are all back into collecting now and I see odes to 1987 Topps and 1989 Donruss and even god awful 1991 Fleer all the time.

I miss the people talking about 1975-79 Topps.

But that's why you have me here.
 

I'm doing stuff like this -- I love the 1975 Topps set so much, I am so nostalgic about it, that I'm trying to recollect it with stamps on the front of each card.
 
These four cards arrived in the latest package from Max of Starting Nine.
 
He was actually able to find three buyback cards that I don't have yet (I do already have the buyback Tepedino). Considering how far along I'm at in this venture, it's amazing that I haven't turned up McCarver, Apodaca and the rookie prospects card before.
 
This brings me to 450 total cards in the 1975 Topps set in buyback form (I mentioned "460" on Twitter but I just typed in the wrong number). Will I be able to get to 500? Before I would've told you no, but maybe it's possible.
 



 Max also sent me some cool modern-type cards. I'm doing pretty well on parallels of the Fireworks card lately. Maybe I should do something wild and try to find all the parallels of this thing.

I love the two Mookie Betts cards. The "coin" card has acetate over it so you can't actually touch the coin. That's kind of a bummer.
 


Some Sabres cards from just last year, although in typical Sabres fashion, one of these cards is already out of date. In somewhat related news, the Sabres celebrated a two-game winning streak last night, their longest win streak since October. Wooo!



This nonlicensed card is shinier than anything they were making in 1992. I think all of the shiny cards made after this one can draw a line all the way to bright blue Strawberry as inspiration.


I do not think this Tatis is related to known Dodgers annoyers Fernando Tatis Jr. or Fernando Tatis Sr. It's good to finally have a Tatis on our side.
 
For those who actually braved the wilds of the card aisles for 2022 Topps, I hope you were successful and are not now trying to flip it all.
 
Leave some for me. I'll get there eventually.
 
And here's a bonus:
 
Every 1987-themed insert that I pull that is not a Dodgers card? They're all up for grabs.

Comments

Billy Kingsley said…
I literally just scanned my copy of the Reinhart card today. After not being able to scan for the last 11 months it sure does feel good to be able to do it again.

I'm most nostalgic for the period of 1988-96 in my life and 94-97 in cards. Right before my health problems kicked in and that's not a coincidence.
John Bateman said…
The only thing nostalgic about 1987 to me was - I opened packs of this product of any product I did in my life. I must have opened 10-14 wax boxes and put together close to 8-10 sets.

It was around this time, I was diagnosed with Baseball Card Fever (I also would eventually have football card fever...basketball card fever...etc).

I realized that the first time I had the Fever was in the spring of 1973 when Topps cards were at the candy store and all I could think about was getting money from my parents (or anybody) to buy all the Topps baseball cards until I had a complete set (never happened). At that time, this Fever was almost like receiving drips of morphine. It did not make me Feel ill but 'Wonderful"

This fever went on for years, it would become a restless feeling, have to have it urge, that probably extended more to football than baseball by the late 1980s.

I have been dealing with it now for almost 50 years, and it is probably more appropriately diagnosed as Sports Card Fever which is associated now with that impulsive and "Ah why did I buy that" feeling.

It was over 50 degrees here in SW PA, and for one second or two, I felt that wonderful feeling from the spring of 1973; then it went away and I realized I probably wont own one 2022 Topps cards (except maybe a few from the Heritage brand) this year.

Old Cards said…
Even though I have a complete set that I bought in 1987, I also am not nostalgic about 1987 Topps. I agree that it kinda looks like "62 Topps, which I collected as a kid. Don't remember why I bought the '87 Topps. Maybe I was nostalgic about "62 Topps in 1987.
You don't need any 75' buyback stamped up Braves cards, just send it on to me.
GTT said…
I saw a post on Net54 saying that the backs are oriented in different ways, like 2020 and 2021 Topps Update. Argh.
Crocodile said…
I bought a ton of 1987 topps, but then I saw a factory set and bought that too. Am I nostalgic about it? Not in the least. I just loved baseball cards back then (still do). Do I regret buying so many now? At least in 1987 I do.
Anonymous said…
People can be nostalgic about times they never experienced. Renaissance fairs, Civil War reenactments, and such.
Matt said…
*Raises hand* Yeah, I'm one of them. I'm one of those kids who bought up the '87 Topps and loved it. It was the first set I ever completed, and even with all these endless reproductions, I still have a soft spot for it. So much so I almost called my blog "Wood Grain On Cardboard".
Fuji said…
You summed it up perfectly with "Nostalgia is relative to when you grew up.". 1987 Topps baseball is definitely one of the most nostalgic sets to me... although I'm not prepared to call it the THE most right here on the spot. The set stirs up memories of turning into an investor... and opening up multiple boxes building sets and player lots. Plus it doesn't hurt that there's some pretty cool photography and it features one of my favorite designs from the decade.
Bo said…
You may not like it, and maybe "nostalgic" is the wrong word, but I don't think there is another single set that kicked off so many lifetime collectors. That may be a combination of other factors not solely related to that set, but there doesn't seem to be the same affinity for other sets of that boom era of baseball card collecting. There isn't the same level of nostalgia for '85 or '86, certainly not '88 or '89 even though it's the same population. And a set like '83 is more respected than loved.

Like Matt it was the first set I ever collected, and (many years later) the first I ever completed.
Nick Vossbrink said…
I love that 1975 is your nostalgia set and 1977 is your signature collection. While 1989 is my signature collection and the math works out perfectly for both of our ages.

I definitely have feels for 1987 and the way it represents getting started in the hobby and getting in on the ground floor with a bunch of era-defining players. I also don't love the design. It's not bad, but it's not the BEST EVER the way so many guys my age call it. Some cards like the Kevin Mitchell are great. Other cards like the Kevin Mitchell Traded are not. And I absolutely loath the way Topps is beating it into the ground. It's definitely in character wit the way my generation treats nostalgia as something to be endlessly mined and regurgitated cheaply but good lord does it cheapen my feelings about the original.
GCA said…
'87 is about 7-10 years too early to be special for me too. The first thing it brings to mind is that I've seen it recreated way too much. Plus the fact that when I did get around to building myself a set (in about 2014 or something), I did it with two really cheap wax boxes and the remaining dime singles in two days. Haven't looked at it since.

I'm still hunting the last couple dozen from the 2017 incarnation, and haven't tried to do any of the following years' inserts that size until the Decade's Best from 2020...
bryan was here said…
It's hard to be nostalgic about something you can still pick up in your local card shop or a show for about the same price as when they were originally released. I swear, Topps has warehouses filled to the rafters of '87 cards. They should dump these in the ocean.
Ugh on 87 Topps. Not looking forward to rebooting that. Sweet Strawberry!
Jon said…
1987 is around the time that I started collecting cards, but I have absolutely no nostalgia for the '87 Topps set (not counting the Bo Jackson Future Stars card). And given what I've seen on the Twitter, it seems like you wouldn't have any trouble finding other folks who are nostalgic about the same era as you.
AdamE said…
I get the 87 nostalgia. It was the first set I tried to build. I never did though. 88 came out before I finished and I never went back to do it.