Skip to main content

The last day of Christmas

 
That is my Christmas tree. It's still up.

We're not militant about insisting that the decorations stay in bloom through the 12 days of Christmas (Dec. 25-Jan. 5), it's more like there just hasn't been time to take them down.

But I do like that they're still there and the lights still on outside. I don't feel delinquent at all. It's always depressing to see Christmas trees dumped on the curb on Dec. 26. (I know I have some nerve, as my tree is fake and has been for years).

Seeing the Christmas season last into January helps take away the bleakness of the month. If we didn't have the final few days of the season and football, January would be a lost cause.

So I like celebrating the last day of Christmas on this day (I used to get a bit jealous of the Orthodox who celebrate Christmas around Jan. 6-7, but then I found out they often celebrate with beet soup and that's almost as sad as ditching your tree).
 
Today I'm celebrating with my just-arrived Dodgers team set of this year's Topps Holiday set. It's fashionably late, to help me keep the Christmas spirit alive.
 

That is all but two of the cards. You've seen these poses before, either in flagship or Update. This year's Holiday set gets the usual fun red-and-green treatment, my favorite aspect of the set, plus some candy cane borders. And, just to make it extra busy, there is a snowflake-and-ornament design over the photo, as if the Dodgers are playing in front of wrapping paper.

It's a terribly busy design. I remember when 2019 Holiday came out -- my favorite of the Holiday designs -- and people thought THAT was busy. But 2021 is a little too much Christmas cheer, even for me.

The thing that sold me on buying the cards -- yes, I was thinking of skipping this round -- is that there are new photos of the two newer Dodgers (well, one is now a former Dodger) as they were included in Holiday after not making it into Update.



The Scherzer card is standard fare -- except for him appearing to be pooping an ornament -- but I like the Turner card a lot.
 
Since Holiday is one of those prohibitive sets in which lots of guys get left out, it's always interesting to see who wasn't included. This year, notables such as Kenley Jansen, Julio Urias, Max Muncy, Will Smith and A.J. Pollock are missing among others.

Even with my attempt to prolong Christmas, I am hoping that this is my last tour of the 2021 design, which didn't deserve the coverage I gave it at all. One of these days you'll see an update of my ranking of all of the Topps flagship designs that I did back in 2015 and we'll see if 2021 makes it above bottom-feeders like 1996 and 2016.

However, I am not done dealing with cards issued in 2021. Another 2021 set is on the way tomorrow -- when the tree will still be up.

Comments

LOL, My lazy butt had this Dodger set inside the mailer sitting behind me for several weeks. Now you're going to have dupes again. Still haven't made it to the PO. I did get yours the other day and will key up a post in the near future. As for the Fake tree, me too, still up but it does come down tomorrow.
night owl said…
I guess that means I have to try to complete the set? But I don't want to do that.
Brett Alan said…
I like the idea that if Nick ever updates the Dodgers Short-Term Stops team (I've always envisioned it as a coffee table book) it could have that card of Scherzer with all the holiday stuff.
Fuji said…
I was pretty stoked to find some boxes of this stuff on Walmart's website. Maybe I'll do a Christmas in July box break. I wonder if you'll still have your tree up then.
Billy Kingsley said…
If it was up to me the lights would stay on all year long.
Nick said…
Our Christmas tree is still up, mostly because it's a tiny plastic one that's so small we kinda forget about it. Topps Holiday is always good for a little innocent fun, but I went out of my way to get a copy of that Scherzer because who knows how many Dodger cards he'll end up getting?
Matt said…
We still have our Christmas tree and lights up too. Maybe they'll come down this weekend, maybe they won't. For right now the Christmas lights outside look too darn pretty in the snow, and it actually feels more like Christmas than the 70 degree one we got.
Jafronius said…
My Wife insists on a real tree and only started getting it when the boys were in elementary school. I resisted every year (and still do) because she says she's allergic to the pine sap. So guess who isn't involved with the care and decoration of the precious love tree?