Skip to main content

Better late than whatever


Topps released its design for 2022 flagship on Thursday.

This is super early for an announcement that usually takes place in August, at least since I've been following such things on the blog. In fact, the last time Topps released its flagship design in July, two years ago, I was aghast. And this 2022 announcement is 10 days earlier than that date.

So, obviously, I was caught off guard.

I'm late. But it doesn't matter much for the blog. Reacting to card design announcements is very much a Twitter thing now and everybody couldn't wait to get their two pennies in over there, including me.

I do like the design. ... well, it's OK. I like it in comparison to what we've seen from Topps lately. It's mostly a feeling of relief because we're not going to get garbage like 2020 and 2021 flagship for the rest of the decade and beyond. The 2022 design is simple, there's nothing interfering with the photo, it appears to be team-color-coded and there is a border. Those are all good things, and it shows what can be produced when you stop trying too hard and just make something that looks like a baseball card.

It's this decade's version of 2013 Topps, which I liked a lot. Yeah, there's still a Bowman vibe with it, but it's reined in enough that I don't notice it if I don't look too hard.

A lot of people got distracted by the rookie card logo on the Wander Franco sample card and what's that mean for Franco in Update this year, blah, blah, blah. I care zero about this. So let's move on.

Another aspect about the design that was mentioned was that you can read the names of the players on the front of the card. That's a pretty sad commentary on 2021 Topps. People obviously were freaked out that we were going to see tiny type on cards for the foreseeable future. It is, without a doubt, the worst gaffe in baseball cards this year -- making your main flagship brand unreadable.

So, 2022 Topps is moving things in the right direction even if it's not the greatest. We're probably back in 2018 now, which was an acceptable set after the abominations of 2016 and 2017. And -- yay! -- there's a (half) baseball in the design, the first baseball design since 2011!
 
Per usual since 2016, I probably won't buy much of this -- there's always the question about how available it will be. But I'm not into current players like I once was and I see that trend continuing and less and less trips to the card aisle.
 
But card design is always interesting to me and so I'll always talk about Topps' new flagship design. I can't imagine ignoring an announcement like this.
 
That's because Topps' new flagship design announcement is like seeing the new record album of your favorite group for the first time, or that cover of that new comic book issue that you've waited for. That is a real fun part of collecting for me, even if the players on the cards aren't as interesting to me.

And some day maybe some design will come along again, like 2015, and I'll just have to collect the whole damn thing.

Comments

Old Cards said…
I am not into current cards and only see them because I enjoy following your blog. I like this design in comparison to other current designs. If I liked any current cards it would be the archives. Why are they releasing the 2022 design when the 2021 archives have not yet been released?
Chris said…
The top half looks exactly like 2013, and they've done way too many white-bordered sets over the past dozen years or so. Maybe I'm just anxious for an improvement over the past three flagship sets but I like what I'm seeing from '22 so far. It has a nice clean look (Bowman-y but not too Bowman-y) and if the backs aren't horrible I might have to buy a box or two.
Zippy Zappy said…
I'm so behind I don't even know what 2020 or 2021 Topps looks like. Still, this design seems nice. Not as good as its predecessor a whole 10 years earlier, but good enough I suppose.
I'm happy to read the player name without squinting while wearing reading glasses, and holding a magnifying glass.
Fuji said…
I like this design way more than this year's design, but it's not going to crack into my Top 20 favorite flagship designs.
bryan was here said…
I don't hate it. Kind of reminds me of their recent Big League sets. Back to simplicity. It's funny how I haven't seen ANY 2021 Topps base on any store shelves, just a few Heritage jumbos at Big Lots a few months ago. Maybe next year the mad rush on all things collectible will abate and prices will come back to earth.
Matt said…
The design is okay. For me this one screams Bowman more than any other design of the past decade.
Matt said…
I like this design, especially compared to the past few years. The bottom look like a wrench, so I'm officially campaigning for this to be called the "wrench set".
Doc Samson said…
I'm with Mr. Owl on this one. I do like it. This design is a lot better than 2020 and 2021.

But my first reaction is that it looks a little "cheap". I prefer the flagship to look a little classier, even somewhat elegant. That's why I love the 2011 flagship so much. That was a fantastic use of foil and the team logo.

One more thing: I think this design might have looked better with a colored border, instead of stark white.