Skip to main content

Come home to baseball cards

 
Wow, where is everybody? It seems like everyone ditched their computers the last 3 days. I'm glad I pulled all those Don Gullett cards.
 
That's OK. The Twitter crowd has my back.
 
Also, I know you'll be back. You can't stay away from cards forever.
 

I'll still be here (well, until I go on vacation myself). I'll still be discussing the cards, wondering why Topps suddenly changed from featuring players randomly on a 1952-themed insert in Series 1 this year to featuring players randomly on a 1965-themed insert in Series 2. Not only are there too many inserts, but Topps can't even be bothered with incorporating a consistent theme for them through a full year.

This card arrived from Cardboard Catastrophes. Jeff actually found a 2021 Topps Series 2 blaster at Walmart. Lucky him. I went to Walmart yesterday for the first time in nearly a year. The card aisle displays were stripped bare. But I did find some pages, which are actually more useful than the cards they usually sell there.


I do like the 65-themed back, cartoon and that it addresses the 2020 World Series.
 


So, anyway, yeah, go have your cookouts, go for a swim. Go visit your friends and play your tetherball or whatever you outdoor friends folk do these days.

I'll be here -- telling you that 1983 Donruss is another one of those "someday sets" that I hope to complete. But no urgency there. This Andre Dawson arrived in another Time Traveling Trade from Diamond Jesters.


These excellent 1985 O-Pee-Chee cards were part of the Time Traveling exchange, too. I just love this '70s/'80s period of OPC, which I hope you know by now. I grab what I can.
 


The well-handled Chris Cannizzaro card from 1969 completes the envelope from Matt. The '69 set is another one of those casual builds. Who knows if I'll ever complete it. Can't say I really care, one way or the other. Just floating along on the journey.

Just like you are, too, right now probably. Floating on a lake or a river. Enjoying that summer cottage. Maybe you're fishing or grilling or golfing (you won't catch me doing any of those three). Perhaps your significant other is telling you to go into a town to buy some more eggs for the potato salad. You're far, far away from your baseball cards. It kind of makes me sad.

I'm sorry you're in that situation. But the blog is here for whenever you're ready again.
 


People are still making card connections, even in the heat of summer. I just connected with former card blogger Joe, who has sent me some great cards through the years.

He's shifted over to Twitter and offered up a few cards for me to choose. I selected this 2014 Juan Uribe gold that I needed.


And I requested this 2013 Bowman Carl Crawford parallel, which I know doesn't seem exciting. But actually it's going to be mentioned again in a future post. So, stay tuned for that ... if you can pull yourself away from your boat or your camping site or your mountain hike.

Go ahead, visit that tourist trap, play your softball  game, coach your kid in Little League, freak out every dog in the neighborhood with your fireworks. Sit in that semi-circle with your in-laws gabbing about whatever topic it is that's not as interesting as baseball cards.

If you can break away for two minutes of phone time, you'll find that I'm still here. Blogging away. Talking about whatever card thing I think is interesting at the moment.

Because just because it's nice outside doesn't mean you don't need cards.

You do.

We all do.

So come back.

I'll be here. Like always.

Comments

I don't think most people were away from the blogs. I'm sure many were though. But seriously, I don't recall seeing very many POSTS these last few days. From my blog roll, only a few posts per day show up. Maybe blogger has an issue.
Bulldog said…
'83 Donruss is a worthy set to chase. I really thought Carl Crawford was going to be the real deal. I know I wasn't the only one after he started his career off doing well for the Rays. Shame to see him fall so quickly. Good post.
Fred Pike said…
I do not fish, grill or golf. I read many blogs about baseball and cards. Your blog is one of those. Keep on blogging. I will keep on reading.
Chris said…
I was a little surprised that my blog comments have dried up but I'm shocked that yours are down. There's definitely something going on - 4th of July? great weather? NBA/NHL Finals?

In addition to all of that I've been frantically cleaning the house every night (when I'm not writing my own posts) because we have an assessor coming tomorrow. It might be the end of next week before things calm down. But I'll be back, and so will the rest of your readers.

Fuji said…
There was a stretch over the 3 day weekend where I was busy doing non-card related stuff... but I got caught up yesterday morning. Now I'm trying to catch up with last night and today's early morning posts.

One thing I did notice on my end is that Blogger has been acting weird. Blog posts do not pop up on my reading list immediately. Sometimes it's 30 minutes late. Other times it's much longer. Hopefully there aren't any blog posts that I'm missing completely.
Matt said…
I didn't read any blogs over the 3 day weekend, and have been gradually catching up yesterday and today when I can. Thanks for the trade!
Anonymous said…
That might be the 1st Betts card I've seen where he isn't screaming. Perhaps he got counseling.
Jon said…
Personally, I'd rather people get out and live, than just sit around reading blogs, especially those that are attempting to make up for lost time.
night owl said…
The benefits of "getting out" is a scam devised by some extrovert.