Skip to main content

Top 10 cookies

 
Here are 10 of my favorite kinds of cookies in no particular order:

Chocolate chip
Chocolate, powdered sugar secret kiss
Chocolate crinkle
Amaretti
Macaroons/Samoas
Chocolate peanut butter chip
No-bake chocolate peanut butter
Tagalongs
Thin mints
Cream-cheese bars

When it comes to desserts, I'm a cookie, donut and ice cream person. I like cake, but I don't have a lot of use for it (and cupcakes) when other desserts are possible. I love home-baked pie, but nobody seems to have time to make it anymore.

OK, here are 10 of my favorite Mother's Cookies cards that I picked up recently in no particular order:











I mentioned in a post 10 days ago that I had ordered some of the Dodgers Mother's Cookies sets in a bid to get all of those that were made each year between the mid-1980s until the end of the 1990s.

All of the above are from the 1987, 1989 and 1990 complete sets that arrived recently.

As I mentioned in the earlier Mother's Cookies post, those MC sets really give you a window out onto 1980s Dodger Stadium with all of its familiar landmarks, the diamond vision scoreboard, the pavilion, the Union 76 logo, the ocean beach color-coded seats, etc.

Most of the pictures are staged poses, which I don't mind at all, but as you can see above, some had fun with them and you always see interesting stuff in the background. For instance, is that a couple of office chairs behind John Tudor?
 
Then there is this:
 

 Go with what works, Fernando. (His 1988 MC card is the same).

The Kirk Gibson and Orel Hershiser action photos above are the only two action shots in the 84 cards that I received and that Gibson really stands out as he looks completely out of control.

I also appreciate the coach cards in each set, the Dodger Stadium aerial shot in the 1987 set and the World Championship Trophy in the 1989 set, which recognizes the '88 title.

The envelope that housed the '89 cards recognizes the championship, too:


The 1987 envelope commemorates the 25th anniversary of Dodger Stadium:


I love those tidy envelopes, it's a shame I will be removing the cards to put into my binders.

The best of these three is definitely the 1989 set as MC or the Dodgers seemed to be extra fired up after the '88 championship and the photos are extra interesting.

OK, that's about it for today.


I'm sure Tommy's disappointed I didn't mention Pizzelles.

Comments

Brett Alan said…
I've tried to stop buying any packaged, mass produced cookies, although my favorite will always be Double Stuf Oreos. Not good for me, though! During the pandemic I was buying a lot of chocolate chunk and M&M cookies from the supermarket bakery, though.

I know what you mean about those envelopes. I recently bought one of those Front Row sets, the Rollie Fingers with the autograph, on eBay. I didn't expect it to come still sealed, but it did. I could open it and close it up again (it's possible this has already been done) but I kind of feel that I shouldn't, you know?
hiflew said…
I have the exact same chair in the background of the John Tudor card sitting on my porch. Well not the exact chair (I don't think anyway), but it looks exactly the same. Very comfortable chair.

I always liked cookies too (my favorites were the little boxed chocolate chip cookies at McDonald's), but unfortunately the evil demon in my pancreas makes me stay away from them now.
This post has me idly pondering the idea of arbitrarily picking some common player who appears on a bunch of Mother's Cookie cards and starting a collection of him just to give me an excuse to chase Mother's Cookies cards.
MikeSchmidtHappens said…
No-bake cookies? I didn't even know that was a thing.

Remember the rumors that you can get tapeworms from eating raw cookies?
Old Cards said…
These are nice cards. Good clear pictures of the players the way cards should be.
Oatmeal Raisin my number one edible cookie.

Fuji said…
All-time favorite cookie is called the "gross" cookie that my sister-in-law bakes during the holiday. It's like a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie and I can't get enough of them.

Favorite store bought cookie is this cowboy cookie from a local grocery store. It's filled with chocolate chips, oatmeal, and I think coconut. Normally not a big coconut guy, but I make an exception for these.

And I've written about Mother's Cookies and my trips to Candlestick and the Coliseum to get these cards when I was younger on numerous occasions. I was going to chase down all of the different sets from the 80's, but stopped at around 15 different sets. My new goal is to at least grab all of the A's, Giants, and Padres sets from the 80's.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Nice timing. I just got the one Giants set I was missing (1983) as well as the five year (I think) Keebler run which started in 1999 and tries to mimic the Mothers look. The action photos definitely stand out (except for the 1985 set which is all action) and I always read those as being examples of who didn't like to pose for photos. I always liked the couple pitchers with bats cards that always showed up in each set.

Also I keep the envelopes in 4-pocket pages at the back of one of my binders. I don't have ALL of them but they're fantastic things to hold on to as well.
Anonymous said…
My first thought was '71 Topps Cookie Rojas. Don't care much for borderless cards.
Bulldog said…
Good looking cards.
friend11 said…
I bake my own lemon meringue and pumpkin pies. Haven't yet seen a Mother's Cookie card blowing a bubble.
bryan was here said…
No bakes are my go-to, followed by peanut butter, chocolate chip and oatmeal.

I have been a huge fan of MC cards and remember ordering the Oakland A's and San Diego Padres team sets from a seller in Baseball Card News back in the day. The Mother's Cookies company was acquired by Keebler in 1998 and are now a part of Kellogg's.

Once you get all the MC sets, you can get the Keebler sets they issued from 1999-2003 or so.