Skip to main content

This is it

 
First, I want to apologize for shunning your 2023 Topps Series 1 posts. I wanted to look at them, I really did, but I was trying to avoid First Cards Of The Year Overkill.

That's difficult to do when you're on social media, especially bleeping Twitter. I made a concerted effort to cut down on viewing 2023 images but a few flashers jumped in front of me -- HERE, TAKE A LOOK AT THIS. YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT!
 
It was tough to avert my eyes. It was a little easier on the blogs. As soon as I got a hint that the subject was 2023 Topps I jumped out of the chat. I did succumb to a couple (Card Junk and Padrographs, I think) and left a comment. Of course, now that I've found some 2023 myself, I have to go back and comment on all those posts. 

So, yup, this is it. It's the 2023 Topps Series 1 post on Night Owl Cards. This Is It!
 
I'm purposely late -- not as late as last year but still way past time according to some bananas collectors. I'm out of that rat race and I will buy cards when I'm good and ready ... or when I am dropped unwittingly into a Walmart for other reasons.

Yesterday I found myself there to prep for a so-called storm (we got 4 inches, you'll have to do better than that meteorology hype crews, I've got two four-feet storms of experience this season!). Also birthday season is starting. I wandered over to the junk food/stuff I don't care about/trading cards kiosk and there I saw a whole bunch of 2023 Topps. Blasters and hangers, mostly.

I'm not doing the blaster thing. I fully expect to get a complete set for next Christmas and I need to limit intentional dupes at this time of year. Hangers get you a bunch of cards for a better value than blasters ($12.98 for 67 cards) and I feel less guilty and less poor.

Let's go:

HANGER 1
 

#41 - Brian Serven, Rockies (RC)

OK, this is now officially a tradition here at NOC. The first card of the year will be a rookie card and a player I have never heard of. This is the FOURTH STRAIGHT YEAR this has happened. Maybe this is my fault because Serven had 187 at-bats last year for Colorado, but if Topps wants me to know who the players are it probably shouldn't include Rockies at all.


#17 - Shohei Ohtani, Angels

I need to start recognizing the first card of the first player I've heard of, I suppose. This year it's Shohei Ohtani, who will be a Dodger next year.




#278 - Aaron Nola, Phillies

Time to cover the design elements on the front and the back. As I've said, I'm a fan of the front design. The Every-20-Years Head Shot is a great touch, it almost gives me the feeling of those NFL graphics, where the head shot actually blinks and moves and when you first saw it, it creeped you out. None of these head shots here better start blinking.

Second, I like the team word mark element and the overall scoreboard graphic feel, which Topps has used several times recently to different degrees of success. This one works. The jagged edges at the bottom right are a bit odd (Nick is calling this set the Norelco Lift And Cut design) and they could've easily closed that up, but it doesn't bother me. I also like the thin, colored piping around the border and the photo displays well.

The back is fine, big card numbers. I wish they'd start left-justifying the bios. 

#90 - Korey Lee, Astros (RC)


#290 - Max Fried, Braves

Another thing about the design. The gap on the right above the position logo makes the card look out of balance when there is nothing in the photo frame in that spot. For example, Fried's leg is helping to fill that gap, which makes this a pleasing card (for me anyway, others are saying, what the heck is NO talking about?). There is too much empty space when there's nothing in that gap.
 


#179 - Carlos Rodon, Giants

Here, there is nothing in the gap, but Rodon's left leg is kicking above it so the picture looks balanced. ... I know, only I care.

#47 - Ryan Mountcastle, Orioles
#286 - Ezequiel Duran, Rangers (RC)


#98 - Mike Yastrzemski, Giants

Interesting outfield shot.

#264 - Steele Walker, Giants (RC)
#282 - Tim Anderson, White Sox
 

 #251 - Max Castillo, Royals (RC)
#120 - Patrick Wisdon, Cubs

Here is an example of a balanced card and an "unbalanced" card with Castillo's leg making that card balanced where Wisdom looks like he's going to tip over (although his outstretched arm helps).
 


#4 - Yadier Molina, Cardinals

Yady's farewell card. His bat nicely anchors the picture.


#205 - JJ Bleday, Marlins (RC)

Something else I noticed. The rookie card logo travels around with apparently no rhyme or reason. Often it's in that gap, but sometimes it's in the top left corner. I don't know why.

#177 - Kendall Graveman, White Sox
#315 - Corey Seager, Rangers
#65 - Triston McKenzie, Guardians
#196 - Jordan Romano, Blue Jays
#228 - Ryan Pressly, Astros


#83 - Tylor Megill, Mets
#31 - Riley Greene, Tigers
#309 - Sean Murphy, Athletics
#230 - Liover Peguero, Pirates (RC) 

The color palette for the backs is a little limited this year. Blue, navy blue, green and black. No reds. The team logo in the corner adds some color though. Also, the backs seems to be oriented correctly this year. I suppose that's the official sign that the pandemic is over.

#268 - Yasmani Grandal, White Sox
#227 - Yandy Diaz, Rays
 

 #216 - Toronto's Young Stars Celebrate (checklist)

This photo is kind of a mess. I wish Topps would theme the checklists a little better. So random.

#146 - Alex Verdugo, Red Sox
#79 - Tyler O'Neill, Cardinals


#275 - Vaughn Grissom, Braves (RC)

Nice card.

YOU ARE NOW ENTERING THE PARALLELS AND INSERTS PORTION OF THE PROGRAM.


#325 - German Marquez, Rockies, royal blue parallel

I had to look at the odds on the box for this. The border looks purple, but there are no purple parallels. Royal blue parallels are 1:3 hanger boxes.


#SMLB - 15 - Ferando Tatis, Jr., Padres, Stars Of MLB insert
#SMLB - 29 - Ozzie Albies, Braves, Stars Of MLB insert
#SMLB - 23 - Nolan Gorman, Cardinals, Stars Of MLB insert
#SMLB - 12 - Byron Buxton, Twins, Stars Of MLB insert

Topps is going with the insert-of-random-stars theme again. These look like they came straight from 2002.
 

Wow, this is going to be a Rockies box isn't it?

I am very pleased to see the 1988 inserts (and more pleased not to see the '87s), but a Rockies card does not remind me of 1988 Topps. I also can tell the fonts are off.


#WC-22 - George Brett, Royals, Welcome To The Club insert

I'm not familiar with the insert checklist this year. This was a surprise. This insert has several "legends" players in it. Happy to pull the Brett.

#299 - Gleyber Torres, Yankees
#119 - Oscar Gonzalez, Guardians


#213 - Owen Miller, Guardians
#183 - Seiya Suzuki, Cubs
#269 - Steven Matz, Cardinals
#68 - William Contreras, Braves

Feet in the bucket! Nice, balanced cards.

#324 - Santiago Espinal, Blue Jays
#166 - Tyler Stephenson, Reds
#261 - Martin Perez, Rangers
#182 - Nick Pratto, Royals (RC)


#164 - Dany Jimenez, Athletics

HORIZONTALS! I love the horizontal cards in this set. Please, please, Topps, issue an all-horizontal set. Tell the naysayers to turn their binders on their sides and get over it. This card is terrific.
 
 

#43 - NL Batting Average Leaders
 
Finally, a Dodger. Apparently you have to be among the league leaders to get a Dodgers card in this set.
 
 

 #248 - Rhys Lightning, Phillies, checklist card

Bad pun aside, this photo is cropped all kinds of wrong.


#30 - Kenley Jansen, Braves

Good, good stuff.

#270 - Yusei Kikuchi, Blue Jays
#263 - Arizona Diamondbacks team card
#284 - NL Wins Leaders


#93 - Angels Team Card
#186 - Teoscar Hernandez, Blue Jays

#231 - Rony Garcia, Tigers
#126 - Harold Castro, Tigers
#212 - Jordan Lyles, Orioles
#102 - Salvador Perez, Royals


#61 - Tyrone Taylor, Brewers
#29 - Trevor Rogers, Marlins
#8 - Sam Moll, Athletics
#32 - Jordan Montgomery, Cardinals
#37 - Josh Smith, Rangers (RC)
#162 - Isiah Kiner-Falefa, Yankees
#76 - Josh Winckowski, Red Sox (RC)
 
OK, that was Hanger 1.
 
I know you're bracing for Hanger 2.
 
I was totally going to do it. But the day is not letting me and this post is already way long. So Hanger 2 is going to show up tomorrow (you'll see actual Dodgers in that one). Sorry, yeah, that's two 2023 Topps posts in a row.
 
But good news. This will be my last purchase of 2023 Topps flagship. There will be no blasters, no stray packs. I'm done.
 
Yup, maybe when I saw them displayed at Walmart, I might have said "This Is It" but this really is it.

Comments

dayf said…
ok definitely want a hanger box now. Wal-Mart only had stuff from '22 and Target only blasters but at least they had *something*
i shall be patient and not buy moar hobby packs
Nachos Grande said…
The 2023 Topps set is going to be the first flagship set that I plan to collect since 2011. I want to do my part in rewarding Topps for making a quality set (base cards, inserts, etc. are all quite nice this year).
Nick said…
First cards of the year are always a thrill - and it's even better when the cards are actually good! Even Twitter overload couldn't kill my appreciation for this set, best Topps design since 2015 for me.

Totally agree on the horizontals too. They really go well with the layout this year.
Fuji said…
That Dany Jimenez looks sharp. I like the vertical cards, but if this set only featured horizontal cards... I wouldn't complain at all.
Nick Vossbrink said…
There are a few things in the design of this (like the grey slashy in the border) which I really can't stand but they do look good in hand and there's a lot of color for the first time in forever.

My kids *really* like this design too so hopefully I can find a few blasters of Opening Day for them (no need to but flagship if we ge the sets every year).
beefman said…
I'm with Nick, (big surprise), in that I think this is easily the best flagship set since 2015.

Maybe a ghosted team hat logo down the bottom on the right would balance out the design? Probably not, though.
bbcardz said…
2023 Topps is definitely a winner in my book. Can't wait for S2 and Update so that I can get them bindered by team.
Benjamin said…
I KNEW you were going to get some! Totally called it.

So once you see the full set, Mr. Owl, I think you'll really appreciate the photography. I haven't recalled a set in a while with this many good shots. Not just action (it reminds me of Topps 2010) but actual personality in quite a few of them, and a decent amount of horizontal cards. It's right up your alley, I think.
Old Cards said…
For a non-current card kind of guy, I must admit the 2023 design looks good.
Jimetal7212 said…
The Hernandez card reminds me of a certain Jose Bautista HR from a bit ago. But I am liking the horizontals.
Matt said…
I haven't opened any yet myself. You beat me to it. I am hoping to find a blaster this weekend as long as the budget fits one I really want to chase the Aces inserts
GCA said…
Design approved.
Almost enough to want to build the set. But not quite. Maybe Opening Day if you can get a set in one box.

When you had the group of "feet in the bucket" shots, I thought the next one was gonna be "booty in the bucket".

The League Leaders are much improved too.
Brett Alan said…
I might have to grab a hanger myself.

I think the "special" checklist cards are poorly designed--the wording is much too small, so it's "what in the world is this" rather than understanding what it is. Should have put larger wording in place of (or over) the MLB logo.
Matt said…
I got my 2023 Topps post scheduled for Monday, so you're not the last one at least!
John Bateman said…
This set is a keeper.

That is alot of cool dirt for the Rodon card.

1961-1972 - No Horizontals
1973-1974 - a few Horizontals
1975-1990 - No Horizontals

1991 - on - every freaking set has had a least a few horizontals except 2006 (- I dont count the subsets).

Thus we are 32 years into the Horizontal age.
Jafronius said…
Still hoping to find some in the wild, so thanks for showing off the cards!