Skip to main content

The last days of Panini (in my collection)

 
I think I'm on record on my opinion of Panini as a baseball product. I've never had use for it, think its weak points are glaring and its strong points -- if there are any -- help convince only some collectors that it's worth buying.

Panini's license with the MLB Players Association ran out at the end of 2022 and we all know it already doesn't have an MLB license. So Panini is out of the baseball card game and, well, let me take a moment to figure out how I still type while I'm standing and applauding.

Panini's baseball cards were ugly, uninteresting, inept and inefficient. The only thing it did well, the 2013 Hometown Heroes product, disappeared after a year. The only other thing it did "well," Chronicles, is a mix of boring (see card above) and a whole lot of WTF. It's good WTF, for the most part, but it actively defies you to complete it, which is the opposite of what I'm trying to do here.

Panini's baseball inserts got a lot of praise, but even the best of those could have been better (the same backdrop on every "Unleashed" insert, really?). Panini's parallels are insane in number and often just stupid. And every time I turned over a Panini card, I wonder how anyone could botch something as basic as "make your type readable" repeatedly.
 
"But, but, competition!" People always say that. It's not competition to me if I can't stomach buying the competitor. Also, the cards just aren't my style. I've seen Panini's efforts in football and basketball and it's nice to see logos on Panini cards, but those aren't my style either.
 
Which is why that now that Panini is leaving the baseball scene, these are the last days of Panini in my collection.

As a team collector completist, I feel obligated to collect everything that's issued of my team on cardboard. That included Panini and because of that I accepted, and a couple of times even purchased, Panini's cards. I have a lot of them in my Dodgers binders. But now that it's not issuing cards anymore, I don't see myself buying any. And it's a relief.

I often go back and obtain Topps or even Bowman Dodgers from a few years ago, but I don't see myself retropurchasing with Panini. So, who knows how many more new Panini cards will arrive at the nest? Beginning with this post, you are seeing the last days of Panini.
 

This Panini Donruss pink holofoil Dustin May card came from Daniel from It's Like Having My Own Card Shop. Daniel's gone over to the "dark side" and made a youtube collecting channel, but he still pops up on his blog periodically. The color on the border is a nice way to distract from the generic laundry May is wearing, but I prefer solid borders, not the foily stuff, so Panini whiffs again.
 


The rest of the Dodgers that Daniel sent were of the Topps variety. I really appreciate these two 2021 Allen & Ginter minis (one A&G back and one regular back). When these cards arrived, Gavin Lux was the Dodgers' starting shortstop. Now he's out for the year. 😞
 


A couple of shiny cards of a couple of former Dodgers. I honestly have no idea how the Dodgers are going to do this year. They could finish in first, they could finish in third. I'm oddly calm about it. I suppose that attitude will change once we're in the thick of the season.
 


Stadium Club is why I'm dedicated to Topps, it always looks great, even if I'm a little bored of it. This is a red parallel -- I'm supposed to care about stuff like that as a team collector.



This is great timing. As I mentioned on my last post, I've started moving all the non-ridiculously thick relics from the former "relic box" to my Dodgers pages. I just happen to be updating my binders and I'm at 2002 and this relic is from that year! Join the club, Mike Nixon, whoever you are!
 


All right, you thought you were done with Panini, but this is another package from madding at Cards On Cards. He gets that we must accept this weirdness into our team collection.

Mosaic is so cold and bland that I still have a problem with its name, I keep calling it "Marquee". This is another Panini set in which the base is so dull so the parallels look exciting in comparison. It kind of works with this set ... kind of.
 


All right, we're back to logos. Sure, they're the dumb All-Star duds they're making the players wear. I suppose they'll keep doing this until MLB can come up with something even dumber that makes them money. I know I sound old and cranky but stop tinkering all the time and I'll be nice.
 



Here is something nice. These are the last two Dodgers that I needed to complete the 2022 Stadium Club team set! Both very key! Great-looking cards, too. Robinson is either playing the ponies or entering a contest. The headline above where he's marking says "Contest Deadline".
 


Kerry also sent a few cards for my 2005 Topps completion quest. Here's an example of trying to complete an old Topps set. I do it all the time.

I can't envision who I would have to be to want to do that with an old Panini set.

The other day I mentioned Panini cards to my wife, I don't remember why. She scrunched her nose and asked quizzically, "Panini?"

Exactly.

Comments

Not a fan of Panini cards but I love a nice pressed tomato mozzarella panini for lunch.
Nick said…
I can't say I'll miss Panini very much - so many of their cards feel like filler in my binders - but I admit it was nice to have a non-Topps choice in the card aisle once in a while (that is, on the rare occasion there were actually cards in the card aisle). It'd be nice to have another MLB-licensed brand around in the future.
I will be happy that there are that many less (esp. parallels) Braves to get, well at least I hope that is the case.
Jimetal7212 said…
Tough luck on Lux getting hurt. Always a few ACL tears in ST, sucks when it's your team it hits. Thank goodness Panini is out; now if they could get out of all the sports. On top of everything else, tired of the use of the same exact image multiple times on the cards. And they do it for all sports....
bryan was here said…
I didn't mind their offerings in football and basketball, but their baseball stuff was abject trash. They dragged the Donruss and Score brands through the mud, never to return.

If I wanted cards with no logos, I'll buy all the MSA sets from the '80s and '90s. Those are more fun to collect, anyway.

Yeah, if you hadn't guessed, I'm not shedding a single tear over Panini losing their MLBPA licence. Good riddance.
Chris said…
I can't recall ever being tempted to buy Panini baseball packs. The lack of logos is one thing, the lack of creativity is another - and unless the price dropped I couldn't overlook either. (Also, waaay too many parallels.)

While it's a bummer that Fanatics/Topps wont have any competition, I was starting to wonder what Donruss design Panini would recycle for this season since they've already used so many. Guess that's not a concern now.

Fuji said…
Found a stack of Panini inserts in a box that I've been inserting here and there into care packages. Guess everyone can use them for bookmarks :D
1984 Tigers said…
Looked up Mike Nixon on baseball reference. The future gem played all of 3.5 minor league seasons and hit a total of 11 Homeruns in 1100 at bats. 3rd round pick in 2002 that went nowhere. Hope he used his bonus to get a good college degree!

P.s. my favorite "bust" rookie card was 1986 fleer Billy Jo Robideaux and Mark Funderburk.
BillK21093 said…
Agree completely on why bother to collect Panini.

Sure they are bright and colorful, they need to be, because they are lacking logos.

Also, as someone who never buys Panini packs, only picks them up in box lots, it is heard to determine what is a base card and what is an insert card.

I often wonder what happened to the Home Town Heroes set after only one year.

They will not be missed.
Bo said…
I like bright and colorful, so I like Panini for that, but I can't think of any other redeeming qualities.

That Robinson card is fantastic.
John Bateman said…
Did not realize Panini was out of baseball this year.

I would hope Topps/Fantics would buy the Donruss name.

In a perfect world I wish there were Topps, Donruss and Fleer cards

Then Heritage, Ginter, and GQ for the old tyle backs

Then let Topps produce 4 sets of anything it wants..such as Topps super premium tier nine chrome refractor archive finest strawberry colored jerry lewis inspired cards...
Laurens said…
I may have tried to give Panini baseball brands scattered chances over the past 10 years, but it made me feel dumb to try and be a 'fan' when other collectors always mentioned the lack of logos and how they were not [MLB] licensed cards.
GCA said…
And in 2022, Topps completed the circle and had cards of sandwiches in A&G.

(Paninis).
Jafronius said…
I'm 99% sure I did not buy any Panini baseball cards, I just can't remember if I bought any Hometown Heroes. Only ones I have are from trade packages, giveaways, or from repack (and since Panini is parallel heavy, you don't see many base cards in repacks).
Benjamin said…
See, you keep saying panini and now I want a sandwich.
Wendell said…
Panini can go for around $1 a card on average at retail and they can shove off to Buffalo with that idea! Logos are everything for me! How am I going to enjoy a 1973 Oakland Athletics season without the full rush of green and gold?

And don’t say “Topps airbrushed-“ as that alone made the cards into cult classics if anything. I need to see Pilots wings and the bird on the bat and even a white elephant stomping away it’s star players in Philadelphia. There have been cards/sans/logos for years and I just can’t do it.

Gene Garber + Beard - Logo = hard fail every time

How would you feel if you were on the wrong side of 40 and it’s like 1980 and you’re legging out the walk back to the dugout in a maroon Phillies uni and all of the sudden some charlatan comes by and wipes the logo off you? You may be able to give me a run, sonny, but I’m certain that Greg Luzinski would rattle you into the division race beyond the pearly gates.

Also? Tim McCarver was a good dude. I do remember one broadcast where Fred Wilpon had promised cookies in the booth for him and Ralph Kiner and Timmy kept on.

“Ralphy, I don’t know about you, buuuut Fred Wilpon diiiid promise us some homemade cookies. And they better not be the store bought kind”

“Those cookies really mean something to you” Kiner groans

This went on every inning til Frank Cashen called the booth and Kiner is like “in all my years here at Shea, I never knew we had a phone. Kind of makes me feel like a fool when I think of all the pizza I had walk to purchase”

You could only hear McCarver, but it was wild!

Yep. Uh huh. Well, nooo Frank. Right… Mr Cashen, well now! MR CASHEN THAT IS A BAD WORD!”

The next thing I know they cut to commercial and now I’m watching someone hug the tight lanes of Aspen in a Chevy Celebrity. Lame.