Skip to main content

Not just another Cey Day

 
 
Today is Ron Cey's birthday, I try to recognize the birth date of my all-time favorite player almost every year if I can.

I had intended to feature a new acquisition for my Cey post this year -- I had ordered it in what I thought was plenty of time. But in the continuing fight I'm having with ebay recently, where buyers aren't acting like buyers and sellers aren't acting like sellers, the item isn't here yet. 

So, never-mind that I guess. I'll have to go with this:

It's not only The Penguin's birthday today but it's his 75th birthday. That absolutely blows my mind. I remember doing a post on him when he reached his 64th birthday and I could swear I did that only three years ago. Cey was born in 1948, which when I was a kid, was about the year when many MLB players in their prime were born, 1946-49, in that area. The young ballplayers were born in the early-to-mid 1950s. Robin Yount, who was an 18-year-old kid at the time, was born in 1955. That was younger than young!

Now, Robin Yount is 67. Oof.

But 75 is nothing to snort over. In fact, it's the best age when you're a fan of the 1975 Topps set. There is nothing more enjoyable than showing a '75 Topps card of a player celebrating his 75th birthday!

And I can do even more than that.


These are all of my '75 Cey cards.

Starting from the top row on the left is the regular-sized Topps card, followed by the mini card, followed by the buyback card (which is actually just a dupe with a stamp) and the NST Mr. Baseball stamp (which I call a "card").

The bottom row begins with the '75 Hostess card and then the '75 Hostess panel featuring Cey. My signed mini of Cey and the O-Pee-Chee Cey covers up the two other players on the panel (Darrel Porter and Steve Carlton).

That's my salute to The Penguin on his big 75th. Happy birthday sir!

Of course, I have a few more Cey '75s. I have at least 4 duplicates of the flagship card and I have another mini, for the main mini set, and I have an extra O-Pee-Chee card. And I have another Cey Hostess, too.

But without that new Cey item that's all I have to show here. Maybe I'll save it for next year.

Comments

Dave said…
My wife and I saw a Fleetwood Mac tribute concert a few weeks back. Saw two people in the audience had Ron Cey jerseys. And this was in Kentucky. Either that is one heck of a coincidence or your blog has more influence than you could ever imagine.
Old Cards said…
Happy Birthday to the 70's 'Cey Hey Kid'!
Chris said…
I was unaware that today was Ron Cey's bday (much less his 75th) but.. in preparing for a future post where he will be mentioned, I decided not to use the '75 Topps card because I know that you've shown it on your blog enough times that it's "yours" lol.
Just think in twenty years we'll be there, hehhe
Paul Theisen said…
Cey was an interesting character. Not sure if he willingly took to the penguin nickname or not, but it fit him well.

I like his 1972 high #card with former tiger Ben Oglivie. Of course, he got a 2nd "rookie card" with Mike Schmidt in 1973 highs.

He got his ring in 1981. Still remember 81ws when he got hit in head by goose.
Fuji said…
I used to make dozens of eBay purchases a month and rarely ever had any issues from the late 2000's to the pandemic. Just started buying some stuff the past two months and I've run into one item that arrived not as described and another that took three weeks to ship. Not sure what the deal is... but it is kind of annoying.

Can't wait to see the new Cey though. Never seen that stamp set before, but after looking it up on COMC... the set has a lot of famous NPB players.
bbcardz said…
Happy Birthday to Ron Cey! I saw Mr. Cey last July at the MLB All-Star Experience held at the Los Angeles Convention Center the weekend before the All-Star Game (which was at Dodger Stadium). Ron looks great and was doing a little mini baseball clinic and took lots of pictures with the kids and their families. He looked liked he was having a lot of fun too. He also did some autograph signing too.
Jafronius said…
Is there a post that details how Ron Cey became your favorite player?
night owl said…
This one explains it a bit:

https://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/2017/06/blog-bat-around-why-i-collect-these-guys.html
Jon said…
It would be neat to know if anyone has ever directed him towards any of your birthday posts for him.