Skip to main content

More Dodgers friendly

 
So, I haven't bothered to order a 2023 Series 1 team set for the Dodgers yet, which has been my habit in recent years when I know I won't be building the set.

That's where I am with flagship now, I'll get to it. Someday. Sure, I bought some cards a little over a week after release, but I could've very well waited a month without a care. It looks how it looks, but there's actually no urgency.

The curiosity is still there though, as it is every year. I'm glad I bought two hanger boxes instead of one because the first was devoid of Dodgers content but the second had plenty. That's my advertisement. Buy MOAR.

So these are the contents of hanger box 2. I know, I know, people are sick of 2023 Topps already. But here is hanger 2 for those unjaded few:
 


 #71 - Merrill Kelly, Diamondbacks
#23 - Fernando Tatis Jr., Padres
#209 - Darick Hall, Phillies (RC)
#283 - Matt Strahm, Red Sox

I'll try to go a little quicker this time out. I'm surprising myself by knowing some of the rookie card guys. Not all of them, but more than I expected.

#294 - Tommy Edman, Cardinals
#89 - Brett Baty, Mets (RC)
#142 - Lucas Giolito, White Sox
#36 - Brandon Lowe, Rays
#287 - Brendan Rodgers, Rockies
#244 - Cesar Hernandez, Nationals
#51 - Chas McCormick, Astros
#236 - Shane McClanahan, Rays
 


#232 - Ian Happ, Cubs

Sorry, it got a little dull there. Blurred backgrounds seem to be the thing for Topps the last couple of years, which is disappointing. This card is an exception as we see the cute family in the front row and several other definable people.

#13 - Giovanny Gallegos, Cardinals (The Cardinals checklist is weird. There are nine Cardinals in the first 60 cards in the set).
 


#163 - Miguel Vargas, Dodgers (RC)

First Dodgers card of the year! Vargas is listed as a first baseman, but is a natural third baseman, but will be playing second base this season. I see trouble.

#265 - Anthony Santander, Orioles
 


#207 - Paul Sewald, Mariners

This might be my favorite non-Dodgers card of Series 1. It's unusual as Sewald is so close up compared to the other cards. Also the contrast between excited Sewald and happy Sewald reminds me of some of those 1983 Topps cards where the main photo was a pose instead of an action shot, providing some interesting comic relief (see: Mike Armstrong).
 
#129 - Nolan Jones, Guardians (RC)
#239 - Ketel Marte, Diamondbacks
#314 - Ke'Bryan Hayes, Pirates
#188 - Davis Martin, White Sox (RC)

 

 #222 - Jose Altuve, Astros

I think this is just the second City Connect-uniformed player I've pulled this year. Topps went overboard with those CC unis last year, I'm hoping it's toned down a little this year. They get way too much attention and I want to identify the team on the card. City Connects make it confusing.

#99 - Antonio Senzatela, Rockies
#9 - Scott Barlow, Royals
#28 - Corey Knebel, Phillies
#72 - Jon Berti, Marlins
 


#155 - Hunter Greene, Reds, Future Star

Your "Future Star" look for 2023. It looks a little bit like a magazine cover, which I always love.

#109 - Eric Lauer, Brewers
#237 - Brandon Marsh, Phillies (Future Star)
#21 - Max Scherzer, Mets
 


HBC-12 - Jazz Chisholm Jr., Marlins, Home Run Challenge insert

I could do without these. They're always kind of ugly, they're confusing (code cards and winner cards) and the grand prize doesn't interest me.
 


#SMLB-14 - Bryce Harper, Phillies, Stars of MLB insert
#SMLB-7 - Jose Ramirez, Guardians, Stars of MLB insert
#SMLB-27 - Freddie Freeman, Dodgers, Stars of MLB insert
#SMLB-24 - Pete Alonso, Mets, Stars of MLB insert
 
Woo! Dodger No. 2!
 
 

 #T88-67 - Rafael Devers, Red Sox, 1988 insert

OK, now I can contrast and compare to see what's wonky with the '88 inserts.


Font differences on both ends of the card. The "Red Sox" lettering is much larger. The name font is centered like the '88 but the words aren't spread out to fill the width.

I don't expect the inserts to be exact, it's been established that Topps doesn't make them spot-on for reasons, but it sure does take me out of enjoying the '88s as much as I could.
 


#12P-16 - Max Scherzer/Stephen Strasburg, Nationals, One-Two Punch insert

*sigh* A phone-it-in insert theme that's very similar to Topps inserts from 10 years ago. There are a few historical pitcher combos, like this one, that liven it up a little but not much.

#255 - Cal Quantrill, Guardians
#257 - Yadiel Hernandez, Nationals
#86 - Gregory Soto, Tigers
#198 - Vladimir Gutierrez, Reds
#181 - Yordan Alvarez, Astros
 
 

#202 - Tony Gonsolin, Dodgers
#200 - Freddie Freeman, Dodgers
 
Freeman gets the coveted double-zero number. I wonder when the last time was that I pulled Dodgers back-to-back?
 
#297 - Abraham Toro, Mariners
#106 - Willy Adames, Brewers
#285 - Oneil Cruz, Pirates (Future Star)
 
(horizontal cards begin now)
#306 - Jesse Winker, Mariners
#69 - Caleb Kilian, Cubs (RC)
 
 

#219 - Dodgers Team Card
 
The team cards get redundant with the position logo replaced with the abbreviation. The team is mentioned three times there.
 
#316 - Nationals Team Card
#82 - AL Wins Leaders
#245 - Judgement Day, Yankees, checklist
 
 

#217 - Luis Arraez, Twins
#64 - Josh Donaldson, Yankees
#10 - Trevor Story, Red Sox
#254 - Jimmy Herget, Angels

Couldn't end the post without showing more horizontals. This might be my favorite aspect of 2023 Topps.

#44 - Jesus Sanchez, Marlins
#48 - Jacob deGrom, Mets


#131 - Cody Bellinger, Dodgers

The final flagship card of Bellinger with L.A. The last three years of stats on the back are pretty ugly. Good luck, Cubs.

#108 - Alex Cobb, Giants
#91 - Josh Naylor, Guardians
#260 - Matt Chapman, Blue Jays
#252 - Austin Meadows, Tigers
#157 - Christian Vazquez, Astros
 

#136 - Dylan Bundy, Twins
#203 - Gary Sanchez, Twins

A couple of Twins to finish off the box.

That was pretty satisfying. Got a bunch of Dodgers and not a single card was a repeat of the first hanger box -- 134 cards from the set with no dupes!

But, like I said, I'm done buying any more of this. Someone will have to gift me with it for me to open more. Like at Christmas, with the whole set.

That doesn't mean I won't find stuff to write about here on 2023 Topps. I still do study my cards, no matter what the year.

Comments

I like the 23' set. Looking forward to completing the set.
bbcardz said…
Last year Tony Gonsolin, Tyler Anderson and Andrew Heaney really took their game to the next level. With Anderson and Heaney gone, I'm wondering if Dusting May and Ryan Pepiot can pick up the slack. And will we see Lux and Vargas step up this season? Or even someone else?

As far as 2023 Topps, this design compares favorably with some recent designs. Future Topps designs will be compared to this one.
Fuji said…
A. As much as I enjoy rookie cards, I didn't recognize a single rookie in this hangar.

B. Haven't seen a single City Connect jersey that I liked.

C. The Home Run Challenge inserts aren't attractive, but I like that it gets the collector to interact with the game. Reminds me of the You Crash the Game inserts from the 90's.
BaseSetCalling said…
Well Scherzer looks like he thinks Strasburg is going to punch him and is thinking about punching him back, so I will have a new goofy way to consider those cards.
OhioTim said…
I have enjoyed many of the posts about the 2023 Topps series 1 and most collectors seem to enjoy the base but on the fence for some of the inserts. I like both. Unlike some others, I like the Stars of MLB insert this year. I like that Jose Ramirez Stars card you pulled.
Bo said…
I can't remember ever seeing a photo of game action where the fans look so bored, as I have on that Happ card. I'm guessing the Cubs were losing big at the time.
Jafronius said…
Woo moar cards! I sure hope the City Connect unis aren't heavily used this year.