Skip to main content

Fewer hits? Good

 
On the schoolyard in the spring of 1977, there was no card I wanted more than the one of George Foster.

I was a Dodgers fan and on the lookout for Dodgers cards, but even a player on the Dodgers' chief rival at the time could not prevent me from coveting his card.
 
Foster was hitting home runs at a pace that I had never experienced before, on his way to 52 in one season. His card was the titan of the '77 set, bigger than airbrushed Reggie, bigger than prospects Dawson and Murphy (who?), bigger than Fidrych, bigger than Nolan Ryan.

Foster's card was a base card. Yet, it had major appeal.

That concept and sentiment is lost in today's hobby and vanished a long time ago. Foster's cool was replaced by inserts, first known as "chase cards," and then "hits" and then parallels and then short-prints. All detracted from the base cards, the cards that actually made up the set.

I was reminded of how much the hobby and collectors have changed again this morning after reading an article from Ryan Fagan of The Sporting News. Fagan is a friend of the hobby, a collector and good fun on Twitter. But it's obvious that he grew up in a different collecting generation than I did.

He grew up during the "junk wax era," as did so many collectors that I've met online. He likes pulling hits and shiny parallels but seems to enjoy base cards, too.

His article dissected the odds for pulling a hit or a parallel in 2023 Topps as compared with 2022 Topps. It's been noted that it's more difficult to pull those kind of cards in this year's flagship set than in last year's, and many have said that we're in a second junk wax era with cards being produced in such quantities that it's difficult not to notice that the odds of pulling something like a gold parallel have soared.


These are the odds on a 2023 Topps hanger box. Unfortunately I don't have a 2022 hanger box to contrast and compare. But Ryan did that for you in his story. (Odds listed on boxes was one of the weirder -- odder? -- things I encountered when I returned to the hobby in 2006).

He also writes in his story to not bother buying cards at retail outlets this year if you're interested in parallels and hits. It's clear that Topps/Fanatics have trimmed back that kind of stuff in retail product while keeping it in hobby product like jumbo boxes.

My response: Good.

This is not bad news as is inferred in the story, it's good news (this is where I throw up the disclaimer that I am only referring to my collecting experience with this blog, nobody else's, don't think that I'm speaking for anyone else, please). This is news that will keep flippers from clearing shelves. This is news that will hopefully lead to the end of the pack searcher. For someone like me, who wants to see the cards that complete a set and gets annoyed when a parallel of some Marlins player is replacing another card I could have used to finish the set, this is a benefit.

Hits and super-shiny parallels and SSPs should come out of hobby boxes so that the high-rollers can pay more and have their fun. Retail, well, yeah, it's for suckers and I'm a sucker, but it's also for those people who like to collect traditionally.

This is where my second objection comes in. The story terms hobby buyers and folks who buy a lot of product as "serious" collectors and those who buy retail as "casual" collectors. That's some word choice there. I have been collecting since 1975 and I think that, by any measure, means I am not a casual collector and also more serious than some flipper who is going to be out of the hobby in five years.

As for the rest of the article, this is really a millennial issue. Collectors who grew up at this time can't really relate to a Gen-Xer and my era of treating every base card as important, because they grew up in a time when inserts and hits were all the rage. They see this new 2023 arrangement as a problem. I don't.

Also, I am hearing "but what about the kids" for the 1,199th time when a change like this happens, as if kids will be deprived of something because all they can afford are retail packs. I think that's a bit dramatic. I have encountered kids in the card aisle maybe eight times in the 17 years since I've returned to the hobby. In an average trip to Target, there are far more kids in the toy section and especially the video game section than anywhere near cards. Also, if you want your kids to pull hits, go buy some hobby packs for them.

I'm not someone who worries about the "state of the hobby." The hobby is personal to me and I'm not on a mission to clear the way for other collectors. Narrow-minded? Sure. But this is just a hobby, nothing bigger than that, I will deal with it how I like.

Also, in a bit of coincidence, just yesterday I decided to remove all of the Dodgers relics that I have stored in a box for years, separated from everything else, and place the ones that fit into pages, with the other Dodger cards in my binder.


Like so.
 


That's kind of pretty.

The point is that over the passage of time, most relics have been deemed no more important than base cards and this isn't the year 2000 anymore.

The same can be said for foil sparkly cards from 2023. Sure, some inserts (and obviously autographs) from the '90s are elusive and go for lots of money, but the people placing prices and importance on that are probably folks who grew up during that time.

I didn't and I don't care about those. I also care very little for pulling a shiny insert if it's not a Dodger or something I can trade easily.


I still do care about this 1977 George Foster base card. Very much so. I'm really glad I own it.
 
Yeah, it's fun to come across a hit from time to time and I celebrate it -- I've done it on this blog -- but if that experience disappears, I'm not going to miss it much.

So, this "casual collector" will live. And be quite happy to see dozens of unmolested card boxes on retail shelves again.

Comments

John Bateman said…
That card was the best shot of Foster bat one of the most famous bats in baseball history the "Black Beauty".

Coupled with that All Star blue banner - One of the unintended great cards of all-time.

The first meme Card I ever bought was his bat card made by Topps.
Nick said…
All I can say is anyone who's buying retail for "hits" is severely misguided. I'd be completely okay if all the jerseys/autographs/gimmicks were banished to hobby packs, because that'd probably mean flippers wouldn't touch retail shelves. It'd make things a lot easier for both parties.
Doc Samson said…
Very cool, Mr. Owl. Growing up, all the kids in my neighborhood wanted to get our hands on George Foster cards. He looked like he should have been in kung fu movies mixing it up with Bruce Lee.

And then there is the infamous 1979 Topps card of George Foster with no decal on his batting helmet. What happened to the decal? Did it go on strike?
Base Card Hero said…
So if the hits/inserts/parallels are removed from retail, then the price will go down, right? ...Right?
I'd support the ban on relic/auto cards too. But more so the manufactured relic cards.
BaseSetCalling said…
That article appeared in my news feed before I wandered over here tonight and it really took me back through the years in a whole different way - The Sporting News! When I was a kid collecting baseball cards with just ONE, exactly ONE baseball game on TV in an ENTIRE WEEK, a copy of the Sporting News was as good as I don’t know how many packs of baseball cards, with all the Baseball it contained inside. Particularly this time of year.

Plus, it had these advertisements in the back. Whoa. Way before price guides and whole magazines about baseball cards, those ads opened up a whole amazing reality of there being baseball cards available somewhere outside of the candy aisle. Amazing! Long live The Sporting News!
Nick Vossbrink said…
Perfectly happy joining Jumbo breaks and seeing what I get. But if I'm buying at retail I 100% want base cards and would be more than happy if Topps dumped having one or two junk inserts per pack as well.

Also, as a junk wax collector form the 1987 Topps generation, we didn't have a ton of hits either. Each set had maybe one insert (All star glossies in Topps rack packs and Donruss and Fleer had All Stars and MVPs). Only in 1990 did things start to change and the 1991-1994 years are when things jumped the rails and became the madness we have now. That's the kind of shit that pushed me out of the hobby as a kid too.
madding said…
I'm not cool with them doing this to retail and keeping the prices as high as they are. Fortunately, we'll probably see this stuff discounted and thrown into repacks like the old days when stuff didn't sell.
Unknown said…
Best baseball card collecting article I've read in years!
David said…
I agree that Mr. Fagan's adjectives are wrong.

Not casual but traditional.
Not serious but speculative.
GCA said…
Yes, do away with too many parallels and GU flipper bait. But I want my inserts! Top 3 dumbest thing in the hobby is parallel inserts. They are truly useless substitutes for actual inserts that would complete your set.
1984 Tigers said…
I've always had a soft spot for george since 1976, the year before this card. I was in my last year of little league and we were the Reds. I had a choice between 13 and 15, and not liking bad luck, I chose 15, which was fosters number. He had a breakthrough year in 1976 and a ws champ team. Of course, 1977 turned even bigger.

My team finished in 3rd place in a 12 team league and I had my best year ever as a player and batted 2nd and played 1b.

About 10 years ago, I picked up some nice lots of 1971 topps and got two of his giants rookies in very nice condition. They are now About 50 bucks each.

Too bad he joined the Mets when they were down and was in decline when the team finally made its mid 1980s run.

Keep up the great work, night owl!

Paul t

.

This is one of your best and timely for me. I don't buy a lot of modern traditionally, but over the last couple of years I have grown more interested. I've been off in vintage land but prices on those cards are making me reassess.

You're only eight years older, so we see collecting fairly similarly. Like you, I want cards that form the set. I am retail all the way. I had allowed myself to buy into the anti-retail hype of late. Shame on me. I'm not into "hits" anyway. I needed to read what you wrote. I bought my first S1 hanger today as a result and had a blast! There will be a couple of others then Sportlots will help me finish S1. Other than that, I may work on 2019 S1, '83 Topps, and await Stadium Club, which I haven't bought in years.
Fuji said…
Topps is making it harder to pull inserts and parallels? Thank goodness. I miss the days when you pulled a parallel and it was exciting and worth celebrating. As for that Foster... I wasn't collecting baseball cards back in 1977. But I'm sure I was just as excited to pull a Luke Skywalker out of a pack of 1977 Topps.
Michael D said…
Absolutely agree with you about the inserts and parallels. Great post. I actually wrote something similar in my post. I guess great minds think alike! LOL!
Jafronius said…
I was under the impression that they were already keeping hits of star players from retail packs fir a while now. It was more likely I'd pull an auto of unknown Rookie from a Stadium Club blaster than one of Mike Trout.

I finally found some Topps at Target on the way to work last night. Still 3.50 for a pack. Bring it back to $2 if there's no inserts.
James J Cashman said…
This is a very interesting article with a great amount of depth to your stories and feelings. I’ve been collecting for 30 years and if I want a 1988 Score Mackey Sasser? Well, it ain’t gonna be in Panini, baby!

Wanna laugh?

I’ll be 40 this year and one of my favorite weekend things to do is grab a local television broadcast of the New York Mets from 1988-1993 (my early years near the tube) and I’ll sit with a cheap old box of 1991 Donruss or 1992 Topps and bam! Charlie O’Brien just popped out on a Kurt Manwaring 92 Topps and he just hit a double over Chris Gwynn’s head as the Mets take the lead over the Dodgers.

Trust me. When you see Will Clark rap a double and he’s sitting there with pursed lips and you miss those days and then you open that wax paper wrapper and there’s Will. He’s hitting .300 and with Matt Williams? Doc Gooden is gonna have his hands full.

James C