Skip to main content

Return of the show

 
I've been trying to think of the last time there was a card show where I live. It's been quite a few years and my memory is not good at picking out dates from that long ago.

Back when I first moved into town, in 1994, there were regular shows at the state office building downtown. I went to a couple of those. This was just before I got out of the hobby and by then there could have been shows every week, I never would have known, because I didn't care.

When I returned to collecting about 10 years later, I remember going to a show at the same place. But then those shows stopped and I don't remember another one until a couple years later at the community college. I recall going there and buying one card. I think it was the 1971 Topps Ernie Banks, to replace the one I had just traded away.

I think that show was about 2005 or 2006. There hasn't been a show around here ever since, thus my hour-plus journeys to find people selling cards in a communal setting.

So, a couple of weeks ago, the guy at work who collects cards showed me an advertisement on his phone about a card show here on Feb. 18. That blew my mind. Where did that come from? That can't be real! Then I forgot about it in the hailstorm that is life. I didn't remember again until looking at my phone a couple of days ago and realizing I had jotted down a reminder to myself. Holy crap! I'm off that day!

I got up yesterday morning all curious and drove to the address. It was on a road I had never been on before. I've driven past that road probably 889 times and thought every time it was just an entry into an apartment complex. But the road took me to an office building full of various service organizations. There was an A-frame sign out front advertising a card and coin show. But that was all the notifying this show was going to do.

Once I figured out which of the six doors I was supposed to enter (nearly froze to death in the parking lot), I came across a maze of hallways. No signs. I picked one entry and looked for the cheese. I came across one of those left-or-right options and I chose left. Good choice, mouse. Look! Those appear to be dealer tables inside that room! Cheeeeeeeese!

I paid my 5 bucks entry (a little steep) and entered for the door prize drawings (mostly Yankees crap but a signed Gary Carter ball!) and walked in.

 
Ladies and gentlemen, that's your first card show in Watertown, NY, in at least 17 years.

That is actually my view as I was leaving. I spent a grand total of 15 minutes there. I didn't bring much money -- about half of what I normally do -- because my expectations were pretty low.

And they were mostly right. The amount of fantasy card merchandise -- Pokemon and the Gathering of Magics -- was overwhelming. So was the usual amount of graded basketball, football and Bowman baseball singles. Just everywhere, shiny, shiny, shiny singles on ugly, ugly, Prizm-esque designs that make my eyes glaze over and want to lie down.

The show advertisement said 30 tables, it was probably a little less than that. The fantasy cards, modern card singles and 2022 boxes probably made up two-thirds of the show. Not a lot left for me. But I forged on.

I came across a table where a guy featured a display of individual '60s and '70s cards. I spotted two cards I wanted right away. But the guy was talking to an older couple about I don't know what, selling off their life's possessions it seemed, they were deep, deep, deep in conversation, at least the lady was. The dealer was trying to inch over to me, but that lady was in her world, nobody around her at all, blah, blah, blah. Finally they wrapped it up and my transaction -- LIKE IT ALWAYS DOES -- lasted 2 minutes.


The cheaper of the two cards and a very fine specimen. My brain no longer has the ability to instantly recall which cards I need and which I don't, so I was so grateful for my blog want lists, I consulted them at least five times in that 15 minutes at the show.


The other of the two cards and the one that leapt out at me, practically licked my face and begged me to take it home.

Not even a week ago I had been telling myself it was time to get some of the bigger names in the 1970 set that I still needed and I went hunting on ebay for an affordable Aaron card. But those apparently don't exist there. I took part in one auction that seemed like it would end in a reasonable price. Nope. Glad I didn't make a final bid on that.

This Aaron I could afford. Yeah, it's way off-center, there's barely a right border. But that doesn't bother me. It still looks great and I got it for $25 less than what that ebay Aaron cost. This is one of Hank's best cards and now it's mine.

After that, I was just about out of cash, but that was OK, because there wasn't much else I wanted. I landed at another dude's table that was mostly hockey cards, including old-school early '90s packs and such. He had a few oddball things like a whole binder of those huge Pinnacle 8-by-10 "cards." Scattered to the right were a bunch of top-loadered singles, almost all hockey.

But a couple stacks closest to me showed some baseball and through some more want-list checking, I found two more '69s I needed, plus I threw in a '65 because, heck, it's '65.


All off-condition dealies, but perfectly fine for my '60s sets and a simple 5 bucks.

And that was it for me. Five cards. I haven't brought home that few cards since probably that Ernie Banks show however many years ago.

It's also been awhile since I've been to a show with just a few tables that wasn't a mall setting. I forgot about the sounds and smells of those kind of shows. Easily overhearing conversations (some dealer was talking about trying to buy up some local businesses), the intermingling scent of Ben Gay, BO and fast-food sandwiches (was that roast beef?)

But it is so cool to be able to pick up some vintage needs right here a short drive from home. Hopefully it continues. Heck, maybe you'll see me behind a table someday (but probably not).

Comments

Angus said…
Sounds like a fun time that you didn't have to drive an hour for.

Nice to get the Aaron for your set.
TwinKiller said…
Speaking of your 1969 build, I have a card that you need from it. It's the Oliva All Star card. LMK if your interested.
hopefully there will be more and improve along the way
Hope a guy with lots of vintage for sale comes out of the woodwork in your area. But, still fun to have a show that close to you, I'm sure.
Fuji said…
Love that Hunter... and I'm a little jealous of that Aaron. One thing I'm not jealous of is Ben Gay and BO. Sad thing is... those two odors are common at card shows around here too.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Oh fun. I've got a show post scheduled for tomorrow. Around here it seems like vintage is making a comeback of sorts.
Greg Zakwin said…
Congrats on the excellent pickups! Love the Hank. Went to my first show last weekend after not going for 4 years. Like you, I mostly saw ultra-modern and TCG. Ah, to be a vintage collector in a sea of Gary Vee fanboy flippers.....
Unknown said…
Went to my first card show in July 1977 and the then Dearborn MI hyatt regency hotel. In fact it was around 7/7/77. In the mid 80s to early 90s there were even monthly card shows in smaller towns in michigan. Check out the show listing from a late 1980s beckett.

Shows started drying up in the mid 90s. Baseball strike in 94 had a big impact. Later 90s when ebay came along it took more dealers away. Why pay 50 bucks to set up and spend 8 hours when you could sell from home?

I joined a Facebook page in michigan specializing in card shows. Retired from work after 35 years so looking to get out to the shows this year to begin the massive bit by bit sell off of my collection.

Glad you found the aaron. I had one for years even more off centered and with a surface crease. Took me many years to find the 1970 bench Hi number 660 that met my condition needs.

Happy to see some of the vintage stuff coming back to the hobby.
Jon said…
I'm of the opinion that that is Aaron's best looking card.
Old Cards said…
Looks like the Aaron was worth your trip. Good catch! As far as deals on Ebay for Aaron, Clemente, Mays and especially Mantle, I don't think they exist and auctions, forget it! Still curious to me that you kids that collected in the 70's have such a longing for 60's cards.
Paul Theisen said…
Old cards,
I was in HS late 70s and early 80s. Until 1981, you only had 1 baseball set per year so some of us with our paper route money started to want to go back and collect some cards that our mothers threw out. At the time, the sets from 1968 and up could be had by buying smaller lots at card shows. The rookies like Ryan, bench, reggie, etc. Weren't crazy expensive as yet. 1966 and 67 were cost prohibitive because the high numbers were too expensive even at the time. Like our lead blogger, it was a journey over the years. Still remember buying a very nice 1968 mantle at a card show in Detroit for about 3 dollars in 1981. That was cheaper than the 1981 topps Fernando rookie.
Old Cards said…
Paul Theisen.
Appreciate your feedback. Wow a Mantle for $3. If only we had known back then. I got my 1968 Mantle out of a wax pack!
1984 Tigers said…
Old cards,
I looked up some info on the baseball card nationals that started in 1980. Turns out I bought that mantle at the 1981 national in Plymouth MI, right near where I grew up. Detroit area hosted the 2nd national and has never hosted one since for some reason. Even though the 1981 strike was going on, the card market was pretty hot (but nothing like late 80s). I found it funny some of the newer cards were just as expensive as the mantle I bought as well as some early 1970s future HOF players.

Paul
1984 Tigers said…
BTW the 1969 topps set is very nice. Your hunter is from the tough mid series too. Mantles last card. Ryan and bench 1st full card. Four new teams. Beautiful photos and easy to read backs. The high series has players from the expansion teams in their new unis. My tigers won the series in 1968 so the 1969 world series cards have always been a tough find in michigan. The only thing missing was team cards. At 664, it was topps largest set to date.
Old Cards said…
1984 Tigers
Great perspective on the card market in the 80's. Funny you should mention 1969. That was the year I totally dropped baseball cards. I thought I was getting too old for the hobby. Mantles were hard to come by even in the 60's. The only way to get him as far as we knew was opening wax packs and plus, we had practically no money. I pulled a Mantle in 63, 64, missed in 65 and 66, then pulled him in 67 and 68 and still have them. I think I'm older than NO's average reader, but NO makes it so interesting with his writing and
adds just enough vintage, I read it every day. Glad for the feedback. Maybe I am understanding the attraction for 60's by those of you who did not grow up in the 60's a little better. You do realize you are my competition for filling in my childhood collection, but hey, no hard feelings.
The Turrdog said…
Wish I had known about that show. I was visiting family in Harrisville for the weekend and had time for a Saturday morning drive. Local news said the next show will be April 8, maybe they’ll lure a couple more vintage dealers. $5 for that show seems a little silly.
1984 Tigers said…
Old cards,

First off to night owl, thanks for a great blog! I read it every day.

I'm actually a recent retiree who's been blessed with a pension and retiree medical (though at a pretty expensive price)

I've been blessed too with two great daughters and a son in law who could care less about sports.

So I'm actually not a competitor to buy your era of cards but will be slowly liquidating my collection of cards from early 1950s through late 1980s.

If you are interested in very fair priced cards for your needs, I hope I can help. As with night owl blog and his need list. Not looking to make a big profit but in no hurry. I'm sure there are ways to connect through this blog if I can fill a hole in your collection. Even if 1 card at a time.

Paul

Nick said…
I love hearing stories like this - it reminds me that there are a few benefits to the hobby "boom." In my fantasy world, there'd be a card show in every town across the country. Looks like a solid roster of finds there - can't go wrong with a vintage Hank!

The big convention hall that hosts the National (and a few other robust shows) is about 10 minutes from where I live, and I'm immensely thankful for that. But there used to be a little local show in a bowling alley showroom when I was a kid that I still miss. Had to have been at least 15-20 years ago now, but I have fond memories of finding cards there.
Wendell Preston Sugarman said…
First card show was during a blizzard in 1979 and the dealers all showed up and the place was rocking! I was able to score wax packs of Topps for cents and it was a great experience. Well…. The snow came and the weather report had called for rain. Nope. We got over 3 inches per hour and the ice came and sealed the doors! It was so much fun for the first few hours, but once mentioned that we were stuck for the night with only boxes of cookies and cheap candy, the fun started to dissipate

I do remember a fist fight over a George Brett card that had these guys saying things that would change your world! Good times.

The shows of the 1980s and early 1990s were extraordinary times. One reader mentioned the 94 strike and that’s what took me out. Replacement players? Nah. Then they started shoving coins and medallions into things like Persian jewelry and you could buy a can of Chipper Jones cards. Whack.

I had my fun. I paid $80 on Sam Militello cards in like 1992 and I still have them. I feel like he’s still young enough to consider a “Hoyt Wilhelm” late stage comeback. But, alas, I miss Phil Nevin and Plantier. The ugly cards of Bob Hamelin and trying to see the card design through unsightly protective film. I miss those days.

The card shows today? How many versions of Pokémon do you need? There’s 80 year old men telling me “that’s a rare charizard” and I’m like “dude, I’m going to take that Bill Pecota bat and choose you!”

Selah

My name is Wendell