Skip to main content

Match the song title: Thriller

 
People don't listen to albums anymore.

I've heard that more than once over the last few years. It makes sense, I guess. With everyone's attention spans evaporating and the advent of stuff like Tik Tok, it's not a surprise that we're all hooked on the need for speed. No one has time to lie on their bed and let an LP wash over them. Or they don't think they do.

I fall into that camp, too. Albums once were the objective when it came to music. I saved my money, walking into the record store was a religious experience, almost overwhelming. I worked in a department store in the mall in the mid-1980s. The record store was three stores away. I made many, many trips and bought many albums. Some bad decisions there, and some great ones, too.
 
This was ritual and that ritual lasted decades until the record stores closed and I changed my habits amid ipods shuffling and services streaming. I now have to force myself almost to listen to a whole album at once. In 2022, I finally succeeded, listening to 70-plus albums released that year.

That took a lot out of me, I don't know if I can do that again this year (I'm on 8, so far). Plus, there are all the old actual vinyl albums in my collection from 40-plus years ago, plus all those CDs that still need more listens. (And, good gosh, cassettes. I have nothing to play those now).

I love those old albums. Many of them are older than I want to believe. For example, Michael Jackson's Thriller is 40 years old.

Released in late 1982, this album was the soundtrack to my senior year in high school (that's right, my 40th HS reunion is this year). "Beat It" and "Billie Jean" played at the senior dance. Then, after graduation, I got that job at the department store. I worked in the mens/boys department, which was across from the Home Entertainment section. More than a year after the album's release, the video for "Thriller" played on a loop across from where I worked for months.

MJ was everywhere. I had never seen an album encapsulate the public like that one. Probably haven't since. In the store, we sold Michael Jackson jackets and gloves (but I don't know if anyone ever bought any). It's even difficult for me to believe that everyone living today didn't experience that in '83-'84. The album was that pervasive. Virtually every song on it takes me to a particular place in time, and I never even bought the thing.
 
My wife bought it though, before I knew her, and it's in with all the other albums in our collection, some in my card room (that's where the turntable is) and some in the attic.
 
This album broke so many boundaries at the time, made Michael Jackson an icon and influenced music for decades. It's time for me to show some respect for that album, never one of my favorites, but still a titan of all-time, something people who weren't even born at the time probably know by heart.
 
Join me in Match the Song Title, where I try to find a card to go with every song.
 
Let's start something:
 
Match the Song Title: "Thriller," Michael Jackson
 

This post is going to document exactly how much we were slaves to the radio back then. Since I never bought the album, I heard the songs as they came on the radio, or periodically on MTV (my family didn't have cable at the time). "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin" was the fourth song released, in the summer of 1983 and that's what I think of when I hear it -- particularly that time between the end of high school and the start of college.

Rickey Henderson was the first thought for this song, and this card was the first thought after that. It's Rickey. He wants to start something.
 
 

Track 2: Baby Be Mine
 
One of just two songs on the album that were not released as singles. I can barely recall what it sounds like because of that.
 
John Baby is displaying the uniform of the short-lived Cleveland Barons (the fact I remember the California Golden Seals, who existed before the Barons, and don't recall the Barons is totally attributed to what I had in hockey cards as a kid). Baby played for two years in the NHL. I'd like this card to be mine.




I do understand why this was the first single released from the album -- Paul McCartney is on it -- but how was this first? With the hits on this album, "The Girl Is Mine" is just about at the bottom. Cringy song, even then. McCartney was bridging the racial divide at the time with this song and "Ebony and Ivory" with Stevie Wonder earlier, but neither are great even if both were big hits. I enjoy "Say Say Say" a little bit more.
 
TCDB tells me I have three Paul McCartney cards. I had no idea.
 
 

Track 4: Thriller (yeah, I linked to the 13-and-a-half minute version)

Iconic song, even more iconic video. Introduced a whole new generation to Vincent Price. The video was an E-vent. But it was insanely overplayed until ghouls dancing in time didn't even register anymore for me. As a youngster, I didn't have much of a clue that MJ might be a bit of an oddball, but this song sealed it, and is also exceptionally cool.

Will The Thrill is a natural for this song, but I don't like the guy at all so here's a card where you can't see much of his annoying face.
 
 

Track 5: Beat It

OK, for those of you who bought albums back in the day or are doing it now amid the vinyl resurgence, this is the first song on Side 2. Again, as a radio listener, this song was the third single released and the song, along with the video, is what made me sit up and take notice. Mixing R&B with RNR (i.e. Eddie Van Halen) was unheard of at the time. So out of the box and then everyone started copying it like crazy. ... Plus, the song led to Eat It.

This card is from the J2 Classic Rock set from a few years ago. I still need to get more of these cards.
 
 

Track 6:
Billie Jean

"Beat It" was my favorite song from the album then, "Billie Jean" is my favorite now. Distinctively funky and insanely catchy, the song signaled that Thriller was more than a hit album. The video was played repeatedly on MTV. I knew the song would be No. 1 on the pop charts and I remember actively rooting for it to replace the No. 1 song at the time ("Baby Come To Me").

I have zero Billie Jean King cards. I need to do something about that, too.



Track 7: Human Nature

If you're a youngster and know "Human Nature," it might be because it's been sampled abundantly by rap artists. This song was released around the same time as "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'". MJ was wearing on me a little by now -- it's been four singles already and now a fifth? But the song is a nice change of pace.

Nothing is more human nature in baseball than making an error. Showing it on the player's own baseball card? Well, that's human cruelty.





The song that brought "tenderoni" to the mainstream. On a normal album, this song probably would not have been released and been relegated to a "back of the album" track. But not Thriller. P.Y.T. was the sixth single released and it made the Top 10 as well.

In 2018, Topps High Tek released an insert set called "PyroTEKnics," because that's how it's spelled. The card "number" on the back starts with a PYT prefix. I wonder if the Jackson estate knows this?




Thriller ends with a quiet fizzle as this song was never released and there have been several times where I stopped the record after PYT. It's a long, slow jam number. Just not my thing then.

But it does give me the opportunity to make a Lady Byng reference, first with the glorious trophy card, and also with this Masterpieces card that I somehow didn't know existed:


It's THE Lady Byng!

And that's where the needle comes off the record.

The last time I wrote a post on this series, I threatened to showcase an album that many people don't know, and then instead I go with one that everybody knows.

So who knows what will happen the next time?

Comments

Brett Alan said…
I was huge Michael Jackson fan. Saw him live three times (twice on the Victory tour, once on the Bad tour). Thriller is fantastic, but Off The Wall was even better.

I do still listen to full albums, but on mp3 and while doing other things. And mostly not new releases, but older stuff I've downloaded. Even the recent stuff is mostly by older artists. To give you an idea, today I've listened to a solo album by Paul from Peter Paul and Mary which came out last year, and to older albums by Sarah Vaughan and Manfred Mann's Earth Band. Hadn't hears any of the albums before.
Yep, we are getting old (rather older) lol.
1984 Tigers said…
Thriller came out my sophomore year at U of Mich. It has hits starting in late 1982 all the way into spring 1984. The girl is mine was only on thriller while say say say was not on thriller but on Paul's pipes of peace album. I think quincy Jones had something to do with the swap of hits. Each guy got a duo hit but you had to buy two albums to get both hits.

On the dick green card, I always interpreted that play as a throw from the catcher on a stolen base attempt, with the runner not quite in the picture. He's in front of the bag as if taking a throw and is trying to prevent it from going past him into cf.

My son in laws albums are in our basement as he and my daughter live near campus. The acdc back in black is an awesome album to listen to all the way thru and is actually the no 2 best seller of all time, behind only thriller.

Paul
night owl said…
See another Match The Song title for Back In Black!:

https://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/2018/10/match-song-title-back-in-black.html
bryan was here said…
Thriller was an essential part of my childhood. My sister got it for her 10th birthday in the summer of '83. I think of the '83 baseball cards, a new spring football league debuting that year, and Little League whenever I hear any of those tracks, even to this day.

My son actually has that original album now, and he and I enjoy looking for obscure albums when we visit the flea markets and antique malls near us.
1984 Tigers said…
Night owl,

Thanks for the link and this incredible blog. We have a massive storm coming to mid michigan so might have time to read when our generac kicks in.

One has to wonder which player shook all night long. Maybe one of the unfortunate guys who died way to young due to drugs or alcohol. Steve howe. Ken caminetti. Roy Tarpley in hoops from my Alma mater u of mich.

Paul t
Matt said…
Thriller was the first "adult" vinyl record I ever owned. I wish I knew what happened to it. A few years ago, my wife and kids bought me a record player for Father's Day, so I've been slowly building up my vinyl collection. It's hard to do when albums cost $30 now. I'd rather spend that $30 on cards!
Fuji said…
A. I listened to records a little as a kid, but by the early 80's I switched over to cassette tapes... then CD's. In college (early to mid 90's) I went back to buying and listening to albums, but that phase only lasted a few years. Returned to albums again a few years ago when I bought a record player and inherited my older brother's collection. Can't say I listen to them on a regular basis... but I'll put one on from time to time while cleaning or cooking.

B. Wanna Be Startin' Something is one of my favorite songs on the album and that 82T Rickey is one of my favorite cards of the decade.

C. I liked Ebony and Ivory. The Girl is Mine isn't too bad either, but the part where they talk to each other is definitely cringy.

D. Can't believe I didn't know Eddie Van Halen played guitar on Beat It. #mindblown

E. Didn't know Baby Come To Me was a #1 song. And have no clue who sings the song, but I like it. Starting to realize there's a lot I don't know.

F. I like Human Nature, but love that Dick Green card. So far my favorite pairing.

G. Didn't recognize the title of The Lady in My Life, but when I clicked your link... I recognized the song. Guess I listened to both sides of my tape all the way through (which was something I rarely did as a kid).

H. Great stuff Night Owl. Can't wait to see what album comes next.
Doc Samson said…
I remember what Quincy Jones said after they completed Thriller and played it in its entirety for the first time in the studio. Everyone thought that the speakers were going to combust into fire because it was so damn good. Thanks, Mr. Owl.
Jafronius said…
Excellent post as usual. Got The Wife the special edition version released several years ago. Never owned the album (and didn't research it apparently) so I didn't realize all the hits on it til that purchase.
1984 Tigers said…
From the mid 1970s to early 1990s, the Golden seals became the barons for 2 years, then merged with minnesota north stars, then moved to Dallas to become the stars.

If you were a long time exec with the organization you would have moved from Oakland to Cleveland to twin cities to Dallas. From 1976 to 1993. Better have your realtor on speed dial!
Jamie Meyers said…
I'm impressed that you could find 70 + albums released last year that were worth listening to.
Jon said…
I still listen to entire albums, but do realize that I'm a bit of an anomaly in that regard. And granted, they're always older albums, but I still listen to them from beginning to end.

Also, The Girl is Mine, yeah, that's one of my all-time least favorite songs.