Skip to main content

Not feeling it

 
Release date for 2023 Topps, Series 1 is tomorrow.

The fanfare has already begun, Topps is hyping breakers, who are streaming Series 1 breaks, other big sellers are boasting about their cases and their finds, it's a real "look at me" mess and I am trying to stay far away from it.

I'm trying to avoid looking at card images, studying inserts and mapping out plans for when I can get to the store to find some. All those things that I've done for years, and documented on the blog, I'm not doing this year.

I'm just not feeling it.

It doesn't have anything to do with the design. I've already said I kind of like it. It has more to do with trying to avoid burnout two weeks from now. The same thing happens every year, there is a deluge of images of the new cards and then everybody looks around -- feeling empty -- and says, "OK, what's next?"

I don't want to feel that. I want the cards to be exciting longer -- like when I bought packs from the drug store and could only afford 3 of them every month and my friends weren't any richer, and so the "newness" of those cards lasted all the way through late summer.

Then years ago, I used to run out to the Target or Walmart on release day, sometimes the day before to see if shelves were stocked and then mourn on this blog when they weren't there. I'd make multiple visits in a week to find some and then when I did, I'd post my adventures on this blog (remember cashier girl and the stocker who pretended she didn't have a bunch of boxes of new cards to unpack? Wild times).

My enthusiasm started to wane with every year. When 2016 and 2017 Topps came out, that scarred me. Then the pandemic hit and bros cleared shelves and stores got scared and, well, I just don't care that much -- about new cards. Certainly not enough to deal with that.

I still like when the new cards come out and I still want to buy some. I still like when the baseball season starts and I still want to watch some. But the players on those cards and the players on my viewing device and the way the game is played now? I can't get all that fired up anymore.

So, I have my want list for 2023 Topps Series 1 Dodgers up on my blog wants. But I haven't preordered any team sets or anything like that. Maybe I'll track that stuff down eventually. If I don't do it for months, well I like the sound of that.

I have a Target gift card from Christmas that I've been saving for the new card season. But I'd like to save it for Heritage. I'd like a crack at that '74 design, the first cards I ever saw.

Anyway, here's the 2023 Series 1 Dodgers team set. I'll be chasing that ... sometime.
 
15 Michael Grove RC
22 Clayton Kershaw
43 Paul Goldschmidt / Freddie Freeman / Jeff McNeil – League Leaders
50 Mookie Betts
113 Mookie Betts – Combo Card
131 Cody Bellinger
163 Miguel Vargas RC
200 Freddie Freeman
202 Tony Gonsolin
211 Max Fried / Sandy Alcantara / Julio Urías – League Leaders
219 Los Angeles Dodgers – Team Card
247 Gavin Lux
280 Julio Urías
284 Yu Darvish / Julio Urías / Kyle Wright – League Leaders

And there are a bunch of inserts and things to keep you distracted.
 
I will get some packs at some point, probably by the end of the month if stores cooperate. But I'm done with the "First!" stuff.
 
I know some people rely on me to get excited about collecting. Sorry to be a bit of a downer. Maybe if Topps used real cardboard with their flagship set, and MLB cared about the 14th inning in a baseball game, I could get excited.

Comments

Jeremya1um said…
That ghost runner rule and the flipper bro’s got me down too. I’ll probably check out the card shop between work and my house while I have a little time to kill between work and picking up the kid from school. Any Dodgers will be sent your way.
Chris said…
I'm feeling this too, about the game and the players and the new releases. 2023 Topps looks... okay. As good if not better than '22. Definitely better than '21. But I put together a (near) set of Topps cards during a season I didn't watch, with players I didn't know. And I can't afford to do that again. Not through packs/blasters anyway.

The only excitement for me is that whiff of nostalgia you mentioned from the corner store days, that connection to childhood.
Nick said…
I'm with you - just not as excited for new cards this year. Not sure why exactly - I actually kinda like the design - maybe the HEY LOOK NEW CARDS! hype finally got to me. I'll probably check a Target and/or Walmart at some point this week, but I'm not going to go out of my way to find any. Judging by how overproduced these look like they're gonna be (I think I read gold parallels are 1:10 BLASTERS this year) I probably won't have any trouble getting them in due time.
I'll have to check out which Cubs I'll need for my all-time team set, but like you, I'm fine to wait it out for a while.
bryan was here said…
I haven't succumbed to the hype for nearly thirty years now. I'll just wait for the factory sets when they drop. In the meantime. if I find some inserts that catch my eye, I'll scoop them up.
Brett Alan said…
Hey, they're back to multi-player League Leader cards in flagship? That's good.

I've never rushed out and bought stuff the first day. Just hoping I'll be able to find a good amount of the new cards in dimeboxes before the season starts.
Nick Vossbrink said…
If I ever find some a Target I might get some for the kids to try and keep that joy alive. But yeah this is tough. Is partly Topps and the industry becoming a pain in the ass which has completely devalued base cards and set building. But it's also baseball and the relentless roster churn of players you can't keep track of which leads to a product where a significant percentage of the players are out of date if not just massively poor choices. Just writing this comment has me realizing that Opening Day may be the superior product because it just cuts out all the garbage I don't care about anymore.
sg488 said…
I always wait till March 1st to buy the new years baseball cards,no matter when they come out,February is still a basketball month in my book.
Bo said…
I still like to collect each year's base set out of tradition, but I am debating whether to even put my wantlists up for them on TCDB, because they're not my favorite thing to get in trades. I don't buy retail, just acquire cards through trades.

I've kind of come around on the extra inning rules. At first I hated the break with tradition. However, the players and managers seem to really like it. Also it does add some additional strategy to the game, which people used to use as a reason to keep pitchers batting.
GCA said…
I stopped doing flagship in 2020. Haven't been watching the sport much since then either. The rule changes don't bother me much, but I've lost touch with the players - even those on my local teams. Maybe if Baltimore steps it up another notch I'll get interested. And I don't expect there to be any thought put into the inserts this year either. Place your bets now on the over/under of recycled designs. The line is five....
Doc Samson said…
I agree with Mr. Owl, too. I’m not feeling it all. I like the additional headshot, but overall the design just seems off to me. Especially the size proportions. I’m also not crazy about using a white border again.

But my biggest issue, like many here, is with the current collecting climate overall. This has really turned into Wall Street. That said, knowing me, I’ll probably break down and buy at least one pack soon.
Jason T. Carter said…
I started updating wantlists last night on my blog. Haven't done that since early 2020. I still have not decided if I'm really going to start collecting again, but if I do I will not buy packs. I will just grab the singles I want and probably save a ton of money that way.

JT, The Writer's Journey
Like Bryan, haven't felt it in decades. I guess breakers feel the same way about vintage and sets. Not sure why some people would rely on you getting excited so wouldn't worry about being a downer, your feelings are shared by others.
Jafronius said…
I'm sure you won't have any problems getting that team set. The Target website has had Series 1 blasters for a couple weeks now, but I hope to get some at the store at some point...just have to come up with a valid reason to go.
Fuji said…
I saw blasters on Target that they were pre-selling. Had two in my cart along with some football blasters, but didn't end up buying them. The plan is to pick up a factory set later in the year since I kind of like this year's design. I'm sure I'll find the inserts I want in quarter bins sooner or later.
bbcardz said…
Nothing except my budget influences my card-buying habits. Every year I'll buy a couple of hobby or jumbo boxes of Series 1 for my flagship set build. So far my enthusiasm for MLB and Topps flagship/Heritage has not waned. Flippers, investors, Twitter, etc. are not important enough to influence me. And I'm older than most of you, lol.
BaseSetCalling said…
This year, I made it. By that I mean I successfully avoided seeing images of the brand new baseball cards until I ripped a pack thus very afternoon. It is a difficult achievement in the Social Media age, but it makes that first pack of cards soooooo much better, regardless of what’s in it.
Benjamin said…
I saw a guy on eBay yesterday selling complete team sets from 2023 series 1 for like $5 shipped. A couple were $8 with the big name rookies, which I don't think the Dodgers have. That would be a great, fast and cheap way to get the base Dodgers you need and not go nuts opening blasters and inserts and such.

Although, who are we kidding? You're going to buy a blaster next week, open it and post the findings on here. We all know it. ;-)