Skip to main content

C.A.: 2022 Topps Chrome Freddie Freeman orange logofractor

(Happy Halloween! The work schedule dictates whether I'll be dealing with this holiday or not. This year I am not. So the day really is happy! ... Well, except for the work part. It's time for Cardboard Appreciation. This is the 314th in a series):


On the years I post on Halloween, I try to have a theme. There have been several over the life of this blog.

Tonight, all I have is an orange card. Real original, I know. But at least it's an unusual orange card.

This is what's called a "logofractor." I know some of you don't know what that is. But when they were released about a month ago -- boxes contained five packs of regular 2022 Chrome cards and two packs of logofractors -- it seemed like everyone knew. The hype machine was in full spew.

Collectors -- you know the ones -- couldn't get enough of them. My timeline was filled with gushing. Some of the cards were selling in four figures. All because of the MLB logo plastered across the image.

Topps has taken an annoying Panini habit -- repeating random symbols on its cards to create endless parallel variations -- and shoved the practice in Panini's face by using the one logo that Panini can't use. I see you, Topps.

The "base" logofractor set is 110 cards. The number of logofractor parallels are endless and if you put out of your mind that the logofractor is simply a parallel of a parallel that is part of a parallel set and brand, maybe you will be enticed by some.

Here is the odds list: Purple 1:4, Pink 1:4, Blue 1:6, Green 1:8, Gold 1:16, Orange 1:31, Pinstriped 1:80, Pinstriped Orange 1:136, Red 1:154, Rose Gold 1:165, Pinstriped Red 1:670, Pinstriped Rose Gold 1:3243.

Good luck. And of course there are photo variations and inserts and blah, blah, bah.

Still, I now have one of the cards in my possession so I must find something about it appealing.

This card stood right out to me when Jon of the dormant blog Community Gum showcased his box break on Twitter. I don't even know if I realized it was a logofractor. It just looked super shiny and glittery and orange and I wanted it.

We arranged a deal -- it was great to trade with a long-ago blogger (another one of those coming up soon) -- and the sixth Dodger card of Freddie Freeman in my collection is a kinda rare card of the numbered variety that says "3/25" on the back.

I'm fancy.

I'm also pretty sure that this will be the only logofractor in my collection, unless the price and interest drops on them so steeply that they just naturally wander into my possession.

Comments

Jeremya1um said…
So those came in regular hobby boxes I guess? I got a box at Wal-Mart (the 35 dollar ones) and they had nothing of the sort. Those are aweful cool. I might have to see if I can pick one up of a Ray not named Franco if one exists.
night owl said…
I think they were special hobby boxes after Chrome was originally released? I'm not up on hobby releases.
They gonna have to be in the cheap boxes for me land any.
Fuji said…
Although I don't think we need any new refractors... I will admit the MLB logo thing is kinda cool.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Giants checklist for this set is absolutely dire (breakers were trying to recruit me because they couldn't fill the slot) so there's a possibility I'll run into affordable ones if I ever remember to even loek.