Skip to main content

It works for me

 
As I continue on acting like it's 2008, writing on this antiquated platform, pretending that everyone hasn't moved on to social media sites that digest information down to rapid-fire bite-size pieces, I'm still trading as if it's 2008, too.

The majority of my trades and card transactions are with bloggers or former bloggers. Sure, I've transacted through Twitter several times. But I am not willing to make all of my card swaps and acquisitions on Twitter, nor all of them on TCDB. 
 
It's the same old pattern for me. Drive that car until it won't, log into that computer until it don't, dance with what brung ya because a book that you can pick up, open and turn the pages with your fingers has never let you down.
 
That's blogging for me. Why would I leave?
 
Besides, if I left, how would people still find me?
 
People are still finding me, nightowlcards.blogspot.com still works.

Here's some more stuff that has recently arrived:


Jeffrey of Cardboard Catastrophes sent me another envelope out of the blue. He must've stumbled across a few autographs. I own an autograph of both Sutton and Valenzuela already, which usually is the stopping point for me, but interestingly, my Sutton is a certified auto and my Valenzuela is not, so now I have one of each for both of them!
 


Rod of Padrographs just sent an envelope that included this signed Hostess card from Mike Hargrove. It is the only example of Hargrove in a Padres uniform (airbrushed of course) and it also might be my only signed Hostess card.


Rod also threw in a couple of Gypsy Queen needs. McKinstry cards have been pouring in ever since he left the Dodgers.



Bob of the best bubble found me again with yet another envelope with a mix of Dodgers and Buffalo sports team workers. This is a fine example of what I was talking about in yesterday's post of Sabres and Bills cards I still want to collect. That 1980-81 NHL set with all the scratch-offs was a head-scratcher.


Finally, a selection of cards (there's McKinstry again) that was actually a Twitter trade, but it did come from a former blogger. For those who go way back, they will remember Nomo's Sushi Platter and blogger Spiegel. He's still kicking around and still dedicated to the team that matters. It was fun reconnecting and I love trading with fellow Dodger fans.

I may be behind the times, but that has never bothered me. I've always been that way. I was still playing records when people had cassettes, still playing cassettes when people had CDs, still playing CDs when people had mp3 players, still on itunes when people were on Spotify and I'll probably be on Spotify after everyone deserts it.

And the ultimate sign that I'm stuck forever in the past: I still read, and work for, a newspaper.

But when you get to be my age, chasing the latest doesn't matter and seems pretty foolish most of the time.

I guess this is me telling you my blog is going to be around for quite awhile longer if I have anything to say about it.

Comments

Old Cards said…
If you leave this BlogSpot, I won't be able to find you, so I am glad to hear that you plan to be around awhile. You provide a good mix of vintage and recent cards, plus great features like 'The Blob' and who can forget the tour of Cooperstown! Thanks for you blog.
Old Cards said…
Thanks for 'your' blog. Now you know why I could never be a writer like you!
You better stick around!
What the heck, no 8-tracks?????? We're a year apart, I had them. Here's one for you. My uncle had a mini suitcase like thing full of them that I gave away just today. What's crazy, besides a couple of Glenn Miller's and a Lawrence Welk, there was Led Zeppelin, Lynrd Skynard, and pretty much 15 or so just like those. Blew my mind.
gregory said…
I'm the same way with printed material, social media, and the like. I've even been feeling that way about watching modern sports versus watching games from the '90s, '80s, and earlier. Older games are often more entertaining. And interesting.
GCA said…
I'm right there with ya too. Have no use for social media of really any kind. If you want to communicate with me, send me a text or an email. I get enough screen time between television and computer already. And my screen is around 24-30" depending on if I'm home or at work, so I don't do any of this stuff on my phone. Plus, I have a 65" tv, so why would I even watch programming on a cell phone either?
Even though I only manage to post a few times a month, it's still worth it.
Fuji said…
Outside of a handful of friendships, card blogs are the main way I stay connected with other collectors. I'm not sure how many more posts I have within me on my own blog, but I'm pretty sure I'll continue reading and supporting other blogs as long as they're around. Good to know yours will be around for quite awhile longer.
Jon said…
Was there even any doubt that you weren't going to still be around?
Nick said…
I don't think I've ever seen a signed Hostess card before. TTM autos aren't really my thing, but I definitely appreciate when people have ballplayers sign weird oddballs, customs, etc. rather than a generic Topps card.