Skip to main content

Almost time for another very weird World Series

 
The World Series is about to start -- way later than it should -- and it's another odd matchup with the Phillies playing the Astros.

Everyone of a certain age knows that can't happen -- the Phillies and Astros are in the same league! But ever since the Astros were transplanted into the American League and started cheating ... er, winning, there have been odd Series matchups all over the place.

Last year's matchup, the Astros and Braves, was something I knew for years as a midseason get-together for two National League West teams going nowhere. The Astros-Dodgers World Series of 2017 began as, hey, this is a showdown for the 1980 NL West pennant, before turning into something more sinister. And the Astros-Nationals Series from three years ago was just plain odd, unless you turn the Nationals into the Expos and then that's a National League game I saw in Olympic Stadium in 1990.

This season's World Series can be summed up in the card above. The Astros and the Phillies were the two teams who played in the 1980 NLCS. It was a fun series. I will always remember Howard Cosell -- ABC broadcasted the series -- blatantly rooting for the Astros in that Series. It didn't help, the Phillies won and won the World Series, too.

Ever since then, the Phillies and Astros have been connected in my mind.
 
This time of year is also when people look up which ballplayers have performed for each World Series team. Since the Astros and Phillies have been connected in my mind for over 40 years, this is easy recall for me: Bobby Abreu, Greg Gross, Brad Lidge, Dickie Thon, Glenn Wilson, Pete Incavaglia, Robin Roberts and Larry Andersen spring to mind. In fact there are around 150 players, according to baseball-reference, who have played for both teams.
 
But what about those who have played for just those two teams and no others? Those are the most interesting to me.
 
There are nine of those AstroPhils. Lots of pitchers and none too notable. Let's review.
 
 

Eric Bruntlett
 
Astros: 2003-07
Phillies: 2008-09

Number of cards I have of him: none.


Jeff Calhoun
 
Astros: 1984-86
Phillies: 1987-88
 
Number of cards I have of him: 9. (Calhoun is the rare case in this exercise where he's featured with both teams in the base set and update set in a single year).
 


Rocky Childress
 
Phillies: 1985-86
Astros: 1987-88

Number of cards I have of him: 3 (There are no major sets that show Childress as a Phillie. The above card is from the 1985 regional Tastykake set).
 


Chris Coste

Phillies: 2006-09
Astros: 2009

Number of cards I have of him: 3 (Coste doesn't have an Astros card that I could find).



Sergio Escalona

Phillies: 2009
Astros: 2011

Number of cards I have of him: none (I bought a hobby box of Chrome in 2009 and pulled the above autograph, which pretty much scared me off of buying Chrome boxes for the rest of time. I then traded the card away. ... Escalona doesn't appear to have an Astros card).
 


Geoff Geary

Phillies: 2003-07
Astros: 2008-09

Cards I have of him: 0



Louie Meadows
 
Astros: 1986-90
Phillies: 1990
 
Number of cards I have of him: 3 or 4, depending. (This relates to the Wes Chamberlain card above, which actually depicts Louie Meadows. It's Meadows' lone appearance as a Phillie on a major-release card).
 
 

Hector Neris

Phillies: 2014-21
Astros: 2022
 
Number of cards I have of him: 7. (This player and the next feature players current with the teams competing in the World Series). 
 
Neris' 2022 Astros card is this:
 

Not sure if I consider Topps Now as a legitimate card.


 
Garrett Stubbs

Astros: 2019-21
Phillies: 2022

Number of cards I have of him: 1.(Stubbs, the Phillies' backup catcher, also has only Topps Now to represent his Phillies days).

Those are the guys who have played with just the Astros and Phillies and nobody else.

I guess either Hector Neris or Garrett Stubbs is going to find out if they ended up on the right team or the wrong team.

Either way, a National League team is going to win.

Comments

John Bateman said…
I guess I don't follow baseball as I used to - I never heard of Garrett Stubbs - Franklin Yes, Garrett no.
those two teams give me gas.
Mike Matson said…
Astros/Braves also was regular in the Postseason in the late 90s. Killer B's losing their sting every year...
bbcardz said…
Definitely not the two teams I anticipated playing in this year's World Series.
Benjamin said…
Yeah, not the matchup I was expecting, especially with how the Dodgers did in the regular season. Was kind of rooting for the Padres to make it because it's been a while. Also expected the Yankees to put up a fight, but that's probably because of how Aaron Judge performed this year. I read somewhere that the 2022 Yankees are not a team as much as a collection of guys doing their own thing, so maybe that's why they haven't gelled as much as Houston.

Either way, I guess I'll root for Philly, since they haven't won in...14 years, I think?
Matt said…
I have zero interest in watching this worled series. But for a team to fire their manager then turn it around to make it here, guess i hope phillies win. I loke an underdog
Jafronius said…
My son rattled off some stat a few days ago that the Astros had the least amount of strikeouts among the remaining playoff teams (at the time). I said almost immediately "it's as if they know what type pitch is coming." We laughed and laughed. Rooting for the Phillies!
Fuji said…
I also grew up with the Astros being in the NL. But I think the fact that they Astros have to play the A's so many times each season has forced me mentally into accepting they're an AL team now. A few years ago, I would have rooted for them and Altuve... but this year I'm hoping the Phillies win it all.

By the way... love the research you put into this post. I can just sit and eat up hours on Baseball Reference looking up things like this.
Not only later than it should be, but how do they schedule it so there's NOT a game on Sunday? SMH