Skip to main content

Sharing your mistakes with someone you love

 
So, as I mentioned a few days ago, I opened a blaster of 2022 Chrome in Cooperstown last week.

That five minutes in my hotel room was easily the low point of the entire trip -- well, maybe it was a little better than listening to three cronies talk loudly through my dinner Friday night. (Wife: Nothing can be that funny).
 
I wasn't going to write about it, but something happened in which the cards became quite useful.
 
My brother and sister-in-law visited a few days ago and my nephew came along. He's the one I've mentioned a couple of times as collecting baseball cards, which is an extreme rarity in this family.
 
Many years have passed since I first discovered he collected and there were signs that maybe he isn't anymore. But I took a shot since he was under my roof and asked if he still collected. He did. I asked the follow-up question that I never get to ask: "Want to see my card room?"
 
And so there we were, me and my 15-year-old nephew, already quite taller than me, in my card room. Nobody, aside from my wife and daughter and a couple of workers, has seen my card room. And none of them was interested in a tour.
 
That's right: I got to give a tour of the card room. In person!
 
My nephew's first reaction: "Wow, you have a lot."
 
I said, "I've been doing this for 40 years."
 
He said that nobody he knew collected baseball cards. A few, he said, collect nonsports, what I assume was Pokemon and such, but he couldn't tell me what it was. But he did say he liked collecting, when he had time.
 
I looked around for some cards to give him. He's an Orioles fan, like his dad. They don't make a lot of Orioles cards these days -- thanks a lot, Topps. But I reached for my Chrome stack and found a shiny Ryan Mountcastle insert. With some more digging, I found a handful more. And now it's on! I get to send cards to my nephew again.

So I'm glad I blew a gift card on that Chrome box. Otherwise, not much to talk about.


Like I said earlier, there were no Dodgers but a weird flood of White Sox. OK, it wasn't 14, it was just four. But it sure felt like 14.

There was a card or two I could send to fellow traders. Otherwise, the best of the rest:
 

 Some other notables:


Besides Riley and Harper, there were a few other playoff participants, but this box was also a reminder that I can't be opening cards when my team is in the postseason. Too many gross reminders come out of the box. That Cronenworth dude is really annoying.

There's been a lot of noise about all of Chrome's faults this year. I don't get into that, but it's been pretty useless for me for like the last seven years.

But if I can take those mistakes I make and build a young person's collection, then it isn't quite as painful.

We both came back into the living room after the card tour and my nephew said to his dad, "I think Uncle Greg has you beat." (My brother's cards have sat in boxes for years).

Yup.

Comments

Jeremya1um said…
Does he have any favorite players? I’ll have to send you some Orioles to pass along to him in my next package to you.
night owl said…
I honestly don't know.
Thar Cruz is nice. I don't really think he is going to be a great player, but he is fun and an amazing athlete.
Here is a fun idea (I think anyways). Let the blogging world bombard your nephew with some O's. WE can all put a note inside and say Greg said to do this. :)
night owl said…
That's an excellent idea for scaring the kid away from this hobby for good.
Nachos Grande said…
LOL. I think everyone who reads this is eager to dump off their O's cards on someone who might actually want them! Then again, I doubt a 15-year-old would have a lot of interest in 1993 Topps or 1989 Donruss. Probably best not to subject the poor kid to that.

On the bright side, at least you got to show off your card collection to someone who was interested. I think I've shown my card room off to exactly one person who had moderate interest. I keep hoping my son will be interested but right now he still thinks baseball is too boring.
Laurens said…
Skimming through the post, I first thought your nephew was the one who had the card room to show off.
Nick said…
I really don't understand why people lose their minds over Topps Chrome every year. It's the same as Flagship with less cards per pack & more expensive. I'm all for shiny cards, of course, but there's so many better shiny cards out there than these!
gregory said…
You should start giving tours of your card room for a small fee. Profits could go toward cards -- either for you or your nephew.
Very cool. Haven't ever given a full tour of my card area.
OhioTim said…
Are all of us as readers of your blog invited for a tour of your card room? So glad to hear your nephew enjoys the hobby and appreciated the tour. Like a few others have asked, can we send him some Orioles cards?
Fuji said…
Very cool uncle/nephew moment. Both of my nephews played sports and dabbled in collecting... but neither still collect. I did run into my nephew at a card show over the summer though. He was walking around the show with some friends (who were looking for Pokemon cards).
Doc Samson said…
Topps Chrome is like wearing a belt and suspenders at the same time. Totally unnecessary.
Jafronius said…
35 bucks for 32 cards is not something I want to spend money on. Glad you found some use for them!
Jon said…
Hopefully you'll be able to help keep his interest burning. He's at an age where a lot of folks stop collecting, many of whom never come back.