Skip to main content

Shall I continue?

 
Just because I finally completed the 2008 Heritage set doesn't mean I'm done with cards Topps created in 2008 to look like the ones it issued in 1959.

No, I'm not going back on my promise to ship off all the black back variations to Derek. The envelope is already packaged, and I can't stand reopening packages.

I'm also not referring to any of the inserts in that set, I simply don't care about them, especially those Dick Perez things.


I am talking about the High Numbers series from that year.

In the frenzy that was me buying every card that I saw on store shelves in 2008, I accumulated quite a few cards from the Heritage High Number set that year.

I don't know how I did that. If you remember, Topps didn't making buying the cards all that appealing, at least on the retail level.


Remember this wrapper? This is how I bought Heritage High Number packs from Target that year. It was a package deal: if you wanted those High Numbers, you had to buy a couple of 2008 Updates & Highlights cards, too. I had zero interest in the Update & Highlights series, so I resented just about every pack I bought. But I bought them (Also, note that the Jay Bruce and Evan Longoria "cards" on the wrapper, do not exist. Bruce and Longoria are in the set, but they are featured on the "Rookie Stars of 2008 design with the red, white & blue banner behind them).

I believe this was the first time Heritage included a High Numbers series. It was 220 cards. I have 207 of them.

Before we get to what I don't have, here is one of the main reasons I have little incentive to finish the set:


This set is packed with notable rookies and I've accumulated all of them. So why continue with chasing down some nobodies?

Especially when every single one of those nobodies is a short-print. There are 13 cards left to pursue, all SPs.

Here's the list:

688- Gio Gonzalez
690- Jonathan Sanchez
695-Ross Gload
697-Nick Hundley
698-Kevin Correia
700-Eddie Kunz
704-Kenny Rogers
707-Wilson Betemit
708-Brandon Morrow
713-Seth McClung
715-Chris Perez
718-Matt Joyce
719-Brad Ziegler

Not really an inspiring lot. But I'm a set-collector! I'm supposed to be all about all the minor players that make up this great game we follow! And I've finished the main set! That's inspiration to continue, right?

So I added up what it might cost me to get those 13. I looked on Ebay and then on Sportlots and then I looked at what it would cost me by picking the cheapest between the two sites. The totals and averages:

Ebay: $51.93 (average $3.99)
Sportlots: $64.48 (average $5.86 and two of the cards aren't available)
Combination: $42.07 (average $3.24)

Obviously the last option -- being a prudent shopper -- is the best, but still, three bucks a card?? For Seth McClung? And that's before shipping.

I suppose this is Heritage's version of the early '70s high numbers when I was paying 10 bucks for Tom Tischinski. But vintage is vintage. 2008 is no vintage.

So, that's where I am. Shall I continue? I don't know. Just know it's not happening anytime soon.

Comments

Chris said…
I've completed a couple Heritage sets and paid too much for those pesky SPs, though it was fairly current when I did, and there were some bigger names. Also have some set builds that aren't quite finished but the cost of completing them seems ridiculous.

My advice would be to plug away at it one card at a time. Try TCDB first, and if you cant trade for anything then maybe add one or two of the cheapest SPs to your next order from COMC/Sportlots/etc. Ordering all 13 at those prices would scare me off, too.
Jeremya1um said…
I looked through my stuff and found the Ziegler and Rogers. They are set aside for you. That brings you 2 cards closer if that influences your decision any.
GTT said…
That title scared me for a second. Also, I want that Gardner!
Nachos Grande said…
Looks like I have a few you need. If you go for the set, let me know.
Old Cards said…
Being a regular reader, I would like to offer some advice, but my knowledge of recent cards (14 years ago is still very recent to me) prevents me from doing so. The generosity of 2 of your readers is commendable. Also, I appreciate GTT's humor.
GCA said…
The default condition to collecting Heritage is having 80% of the short prints on your wantlist for years. You're down to only 13, and they aren't big names? Pfft, that's not bad at all.
And don't go by eBay for prices on SPs, they'll always be crazy. Wait for shows. Or generous traders...
Fuji said…
If it were me... and I had all of the big rookie cards out of the way... I couldn't leave the set unfinished. It would just be one of those long term set builds. Best of luck on whatever you choose to do.

That's interesting the way Topps decided to distribute the high numbers for Heritage. I was just returning to the hobby that year and was focusing on discounted wax boxes to rip, so I don't think I ever opened any of these packs. Iwonder if that was a one year thing.
Looks like five or so are knocked out for you already. I agree with Chris, just find them on ComC and watch them for a sale, a good sale. If my trade boxes were actually organized I would see what I had. Go for it!
Jafronius said…
Why not go for the set? Perhaps some bloggers will be able to help you out!
Benjamin said…
Personally, I'd say try your luck on TCDB. Put them on your wantlist and set up some trades. If nothing works out - nobody has them, or you have nothing to trade - then I'd say just keep the cards you care about the most and sell off the rest, then reinvest that money into a set you actually do care about.
Derek said…
If you need 'em but hate reopening envelopes, maybe I can trade them back to you!

But seriously, if you need the black backs take what you need. I just enjoy reading and anything that might come my way is a bonus.
bbcardz said…
This is definitely your cue to trade on TCDb. Just think of all the new blog posts it will inspire.