Skip to main content

C.A., the review 5 (the final)

I've been out of town, so I gave you an extra day to vote in the second semifinal for the Cardboard Appreciation Hall of Fame vote (not that anyone took advantage of it).

The winner of the second semifinal began to take shape a couple of days after the poll went up. Again, I would never have expected the Pilots team card to do so well, but then I didn't think the Rusty Staub Hostess card would do so poorly.

Here are the vote totals for the second semifinal after 43 votes:

1. 1970 Topps Seattle Pilots team card - 18 votes
2. 1976 Topps J.R. Richard - 11 votes
3. 1989 Bill Pucko Cards U.L. Washington - 9 votes
4. 1975 Hostess Rusty Staub - 5 votes
 


So the lone team card of the Seattle Pilots has advanced all the way to the final.
 
 

It will take on the power trio of Jackie Gleason and David Cone for entrance into the Cardboard Appreciation Hall of Fame.
 
Two guys against an entire team, plus a trainer and a guy in a suit? Is that a fair fight?
 
I don't know, something tells me the Pinnacle card will hold its own.
 
You have another week to vote in the championship poll. Per usual, comment here with your choice or copy-and-paste the following link to vote in the poll:
 
https://vote.easypolls.net/62e4287f8d4471006256dcda
 
Thanks for your assistance.

Comments

Old Cards said…
Voted in the poll for the Pilots team. Team cards are one of my least favorite cards, just above checklist cards, but at least all those on the card are associated with baseball. The Jackie Gleason card making the finals is to me, like a bad joke.
Chris said…
Pilots for the win. You had a good run, GleasonCone.
Nick said…
I was hoping it wouldn't come down to these two since I love both of them so much. But...I can't vote against the Pilots! It's my favorite team card in the long, long history of baseball cards. (Voted in the poll.)
Matt said…
I voted for Cone and Gleason - how sweet it is!
Fuji said…
Voted online. Pilots all the way.
Grant said…
I voted for Cone/Gleason. I like the Pilots card, I really do, and it's from maybe my favorite Topps set of all time. I realize it's their only official team card, but I bet that it's also Gleason's only widely distributed card as well. His face in the picture just makes me laugh and cards almost never make me laugh.
carlsonjok said…
Cone/Gleason. Baseball has a deserved reputation for being stodgy and overserious, what with all its unwritten rules. I just love the whimsy of that card.
Jafronius said…
It was a fun run, thanks!
Angus said…
I'm going with the Cone/Gleason card.

I didn't vote in the poll.
Jon said…
Jackie Gleason got my vote.