Skip to main content

Star starters

 
It's fortunate for me that the All-Star Game is a week later than usual because I figured I'd end up working it this time around due to staff scheduling issues.

I didn't know until maybe a month or so ago that the game was on the third Tuesday of the month rather than the usual second Tuesday. Score! I get to watch!

Now, I know the ASG isn't like it was in the good ol' days, I've been over that many, many times. I expect to be annoyed by the various dog-and-pony shows that have infected the event the last few years and I also expect to hear "can you repeat that, I didn't hear that," and "oh we lost him" several times during the rampant in-game, on-the-field interviews.

But, never mind that. I still love the idea. And we're back at Dodger Stadium, for the first time since I was ... (*checks calendar*) ... 14!

Here's a little better perspective for you: In the 1980 All-Star Game program, the Los Angeles Times' John Hall wrote an ode to Los Angeles and Dodger Stadium. In it he wrote the following: "Dodger Stadium. Eighteen now and old enough to vote and drink in some states."

Well, Dodger Stadium is now 60 and collecting social security. Shame on you, MLB for waiting so long. I have been waiting for a stream of apologies during the All-Star festivities, but have not heard any.

Another thing I've been waiting for is to see Clayton Kershaw start an All-Star Game. It's finally going to happen, fairly late into his career.

An All-Star start doesn't mean as much as when I could pull a card out the following year and see an All-Star banner, star or badge on the starting pitcher's Topps card. The starters barely last an inning now. But, again, it's the idea. He deserves a start.

I went back and looked for all the Dodgers who have started an All-Star Game. Kershaw is the 13th from the franchise to start. Here is a quick run through the others:

1941: Whit Wyatt
 
Wyatt was the first Dodgers pitcher to begin an All-Star Game for the National League. He pitched two innings of no-hit ball and walked one.



1948: Ralph Branca

I sure wish I owned this card. Branca and Wyatt are the only Brooklyn Dodgers to start an All-Star Game. Branca allowed two runs and three walks over three innings. He struck out three and gave up a home run to the Tigers' Hoot Evers.
 


1959 (twice), 1962, 1964, 1968: Don Drysdale

Drysdale started an incredible five All-Star Games, including both games in 1959! He is tied for first all-time in All-Star starts, with Lefty Gomez and Robin Roberts. He was hit hard in the second All-Star Game in '59 and is the only Dodger pitcher to take a loss in an ASG but otherwise his All-Star stats are terrific.
 
 

1962: Johnny Podres
 
Podres pitched the second of the two games in 1962. He threw two innings and allowed two hits and struck out two. He wasn't around for the carnage that followed as the AL ended up winning 9-4. 
 


1966: Sandy Koufax

Like Kershaw, Koufax waited awhile to start an All-Star Game, never getting the honor until his final season. He allowed a hit and a run in three innings, struck out one.



1974: Andy Messersmith

Messersmith is the first All-Star pitcher I ever knew, thanks to this card, which practically drove me wild because I didn't have it. I was still a couple years away from watching the game though. Messersmith had an eventful three innings, striking out four but walking three and giving up two runs.



1977: Don Sutton

The first time I saw a Dodger pitcher start the All-Star Game. Sutton was the standard from that point forward. Three innings. One hit. Got the win.



1981: Fernando Valenzuela

We were in the midst of Fernandomania at this point so of course he was going to start the All-Star Game. He pitched just one inning, though, and gave up two hits.



1995: Hideo Nomo

It took another rookie sensation for the Dodgers to get another All-Star starter. Nomo allowed just one hit in two innings and struck out three.



2006: Brad Penny

Brad Penny struck out the first three batters he faced -- Ichiro Suzuki, Derek Jeter, David Ortiz -- in his first All-Star start. He'd give up a home run to Vladimir Guerrero the next inning, but David Wright tied the game with a home run the inning after that.
 
 

2015: Zack Greinke
 
Right around this time, it was decided that goofy hats were OK to wear in the All-Star Game, and so arrived one of my least favorite All-Star cards. Greinke did fairly well in his appearance -- he allowed a home run on the very first pitch -- but after that four strikeouts and just the one hit in two innings.



2019: Hyun-Jin Ryu

Just three years ago, Hyun-Jin Ryu threw one inning and just 12 pitches in his All-Star start. It's notable as it is the third time a foreign-born Dodgers pitcher started an All-Star Game.

So, Clayton Kershaw is up next.

I'd like to see him do well, but it's probably not going to mean a lot in terms of the game as I doubt he pitches more than two innings.

It's the idea of the thing. And that's why I still watch.

Comments

Old Cards said…
Always enjoy your All-Star posts. Knew Drysdale started several All-Star games but didn't realize he tied for most all-time starts.
Jeremya1um said…
So I guess Danny Jackson or Tom Browning or somebody started the ‘88 game over Hershiser? I know his scoreless innings streak was mainly in September, but he won 20 in ‘88 and you can’t win 20 games without having a decent record in the first half.
I hope you enjoy the game and Kershaw’s (surprising) first All-Star start.
Nick said…
Glad Dodger Stadium is getting the ASG this year - easily one of my favorite ballparks in the game. Hoping Wrigley Field gets one soon!
night owl said…
@Jeremya1um ~

Dwight Gooden started the 1988 game. Hershiser pitched the 8th.
Matt said…
I always thought the starters should go at least one turn through the other team's starting lineup. I would have liked to have seen more of guys like Kershaw and Alcantara than the parade of relievers towards the end.
Fuji said…
If the best pitcher in each league actually started the ASG... gotta believe Kershaw would have been the starter a few more times. Then again... I'm a Kershaw guy, so maybe I'm biased.
8 of the 13 are PC guys of mine, lol.
Jafronius said…
The MLB All Star Game is the best there is.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Gonna add this to the pile of posts I'll never do as a Giants fan.