Skip to main content

C.A., the review 5 (part 8)

 (A recent post of mine was highlighted today by the Uni Watch media site, thanks to a head's-up to that site from NOC reader Brett Alan. It's the third item down and I had noted today a rise in views for that post. Thanks, Brett!)


You readers are the best.

Imagine some prospects-loving site holding a vote-off for the best cards and a team-photo checklist winning. Never ever would it happen. A card like this would be derided or dismissed or both.

But not here at Night Owl Cards. A team checklist WINS, dammit. Not only does it win but it smokes the competition.

The one-of-a-kind Seattle Pilots team card won the most recent Cardboard Appreciation, the review 5 vote-off easily, jumping to an early lead and never looking back. It becomes the seventh entrant into the next round in the quest to enter the Cardboard Appreciation Hall of Fame.

We begin voting on the eighth-and-final entrant into the quarterfinals in a moment, but first the vote totals for part 7. We had a respectable 45 votes this time!

1. 1970 Topps Seattle Pilots - 20 votes
2. 1960 Topps Curt Flood - 7 votes
3. 1975 Topps Reggie Jackson - 6 votes
4. 1982 Fleer Rod Carew - 3 votes
4. 1967 Topps Jim Perry - 3 votes
4. 1994 Upper Deck All-Time Heroes Harvey Haddix - 3 votes
7. 2003 Upper Deck 40-Man Red, White & Blue parallel Adrian Beltre - 2 votes
8. 2008 Upper Deck Kellogg's MLB Takashi Saito - 1 vote

OK, now the latest, and final, group. You're actually voting on nine cards, because I combined two cards in one of the posts. Here we go:


1. 1976 Topps J.R. Richard

This post mourned the loss of J.R. Richard (and Markie Post) and I tried to steer the topic in a more upbeat direction by teasing to some future blog post projects. I'm happy to say I did get to most of them, although there's at least one I haven't done yet. Maybe I'll include it in the tease for next fall.



2. 1992 Upper Deck Eric Karros

I have more of this card than any other card -- by far. I discovered while writing the post that this card seems to be multiplying inside my closet. I haven't touched my stash of now 900(!) '92 Karros cards since this post partly because I'm afraid to count them again.




3 and 4. 1995 Topps Stadium Club Mark Whiten, Cardinals and 1995 Topps Stadium Club Mark Whiten, Red Sox

Yup, you get to vote for your favorite '95 SC Mark Whiten -- if you're voting for Whiten. I'm including them both, as it's as zany as including the same player in different uniforms in the same set.



5. 1981 Topps Traded Bruce Sutter

This was a post about the player who produced the best 3-card performance during the first year of three major card companies in 1981. Sutter didn't win, Manny Sanguillen did. But Sutter is the entrant here.



6. 1961 Topps Jack Meyer

I've written a few posts recently about my new appreciation for early '60s sets, particularly 1961 Topps. This was one of my first of those posts.



7. 1960 Morrell Meats Don Drysdale

You're voting for both the card and the plastic container, because they're forever connected. I haven't been able to remove the card without almost all of the paper disappearing off of it. But it will always be known as my first Morrell Meats card -- because the second one came shortly after this one!



8. 1991 Score Frank Reich

Another Bills football card in the Cardboard Appreciation vote-off. We were in the thick of the NFL playoffs at this time. Reich is the Colts' head coach but he'll always be the QB at the center of the greatest playoff comeback of all time to me.



9. 1997 Pinnacle Inside Chan Ho Park

The last of the Cardboard Appreciation posts before I started the latest vote off. I actually re-took the photo of this card for this occasion because the one that ran with the C.A. post was much too dark. I really miss scanning cards.

Those are the selections.

Here is the link to vote in the poll, just copy-and-paste:

https://vote.easypolls.net/62c7283b8d44710062513b7e

Or mention who you're voting for in the comments (as always I'd appreciate if you also mentioned whether you voted in the poll or not when you make your comment).

Once this round is done, the tournament will speed up pretty quickly with the quarterfinals, semifinals and final. We should have a new Cardboard Appreciation Hall of Famer by the end of the month! Or very soon after.

Comments

steelehere said…
I have to vote for 1992 UD Eric Karros’ card for obvious reasons. I miss the early days of your blog when bipping was a thing.
Old Cards said…
Voted in the poll for 1961 Jack Meyer. No large borders or graphics on the 61 design. Just good clear pictures of the players (the whole purpose of the card) and great back grounds such as stadiums, dugouts and batting cages. You know, baseball game stuff shown on baseball cards. Really liking your newfound appreciation for early '60s sets.
John Bateman said…
Make mine a Meyer, just love the depth perception on this card
bryan was here said…
I voted for the Drysdale. Those older team issues are just too cool for school, especially the Dodgers.
Brett Alan said…
Glad the mention on Uni Watch got you some more views. There were some very appreciative comments about your post on the UW site as well.
Jafronius said…
I think it's the first time I voted for the eventual winner!
Fuji said…
My vote (online) goes to the 76T JR Richard. Satin jacket. Number on pants. Candlestick Park. The only thing that would make this card better would be a well-cropped action shot... but then you'd lose the satin jacket.
Bo said…
This was a tough one; there were three cards that would have won many of the other rounds for me.

I didn't vote for the frontrunner but I'm glad it's winning (was torn between it and another)
Matt said…
In a round that features cards of my favorite baseball team and football team, I'm voting for neither...
Anonymous said…
James Rodney
Nick said…
Can't vote against JR Richard, especially given that excellent Astros warm-up jacket. (Voted in the poll.)