Skip to main content

C.A., the review 5 (second semifinal)

Uh, wow.

We have our first major upset in the Cardboard Appreciation, the Review 5 tournament. Somehow, the 1992 Pinnacle card of David Cone (but mostly Jackie Gleason) has advanced all the way to the final.

The Idols subset card survived a three-card race, taking over the lead a couple days in and holding on despite a decent chase by the Garry Templeton Highlights card.

Here are the results after 41 votes:

1. 1992 Pinnacle David Cone/Jackie Gleason Idols subset - 14 votes
2. 1980 Topps Garry Templeton, 1979 Highlights - 11 votes
2. 1958 Topps Rival Fence Busters, Willie Mays and Duke Snider - 11 votes
4. 1959 Fleer Ted Williams, Ted Relaxes - 5 votes

So, not only has a card dedicated at least 50 percent to comedy (more like 80 percent in terms of surface area) knocked out two significant vintage cards but it's pretty much ensured that no serious vintage will make the Cardboard Appreciation Hall Of Fame this time around.

Two of the cards in the next semifinal could be considered vintage though. Let's see who's up to face Cone and Kramden in the final:


1. 1989 Bill Pucko Cards U.L. Washington

It's a minor league card, it's a card of a manager, it's a card of someone I interviewed, it's a card of someone chewing on a toothpick. Sounds like the perfect card to me.



2. 1975 Hostess Rusty Staub

Like the 1980 Garry Templeton card, this is another mystery card. Why the airbrushing of Rusty Staub's helmet and the random pinstripes on an Expos uniform when Topps had no problem finding a photo of Staub as a Met for its main set (Topps contributed photos for Hostess' cards)?



3. 1970 Topps Seattle Pilots team card

I am quite happy with this round of cards. The recognition of how special this card is -- it's the only Seattle Pilots team card in a major trading card set -- has made all of my Cardboard Appreciation posts worthwhile.



4. 1976 Topps J.R. Richard

If you vote for this card, you're probably voting because of a satin jacket. I see nothing wrong with that.


Those are the choices. Please take a moment of your time to cast your vote, either in the comments or by voting in the poll by copy-and-pasting this link:

https://vote.easypolls.net/62d9a4d05617e80062be9537

We have one unorthodox final coming up and that's way cool.

Comments

After one vote, the Pilots are in the lead!
Angus said…
I didn't vote at the poll site. I have to give my vote once again to the Expos Mets card of Le Grand Orange, Rusty Staub.
Nachos Grande said…
Satin Jacket, FTW (I voted on the poll).
John Bateman said…
I'll Strangely go for the Met hat Expo logo Staub it looks stranger than I previously noted
Old Cards said…
Voted in the poll on the website. It's J.R. Richard and the satin jacket for me. I have nothing against Gleason, but I just can't embrace a baseball card with him as the overwhelming main focus.
ned said…
Great selection as much as I love Hostess,the Pilots and the cool Astros shooting star jacket ,I vote for my man UL.BTW on Brooks Robinson '75 Hostess you can see the photographers shadow!
Fuji said…
You called it. I voted (online) for the satin jacket.
Bo said…
I love old TV comedies. I love NY-based old TV shows. Yet somehow I've never enjoyed the Honeymooners.

I'm predicting a Pilots win, though I didn't vote for that card (and it's trailing now). Personally I've never gone crazy for the Pilots like some people have.

I was thinking while writing that Jim Bouton post yesterday, imagine if Topps had included a card of him with the Pilots in the '69 set, or even the Astros in the '70 set. Because of Ball Four those would have been some of the most popular common cards of that era.
Matt said…
I think Staub was the only one of these that I voted for in the first round, so I gave my vote to him. Regardless of who wins this one, they're not going to beat out Cone/Gleason for the finals (for me at least)
kcjays said…
This one was tough, I think I voted for each of these cards in the first rounds.
Had to cast my (in the poll) vote for the Pilots team card. I always liked team cards, and never understood the Cubs "floating head" ones. With my vote this morning I believe the Team Card and JR & Stain Jacket are tied.
I agree with Bo- and Bouton card in the Pilot's 69 set or Astros in the 70 set would have been great cards to have.
Grant said…
Toughest decision yet, but I voted for Rusty Staub again. It's just such a ridiculous card. I can't blame anyone for voting for the Pilots though either.
Nick said…
This is a tough one. I really, really wanna go with JR Richard...but the Pilots team card is just too cool. (Voted in the poll.)