Skip to main content

Match the song title: Revolver

 
I remember reading a cover story in the "Gusto" section of The Buffalo News -- the paper's "it's time for weekend fun" section -- during the summer of 1987. It was the 20th anniversary of the "Summer of Love" and also the 20th year since the release of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band" by the Beatles.

It was considered the Beatles' masterpiece, the greatest album ever made, and there was a track-by-track break down that I remember reading on my grandmother's front porch.

Amazingly, somehow, that was almost 35 years ago. The 55th anniversary of that album is next summer. But I'm going to write about the Beatles album that celebrates its 55th anniversary this summer.

In yet another example of how perceptions change over time, "Revolver" is now considered among many critics as the Beatles' best album and is ranked ahead of Sgt. Pepper's on a few lists. I still prefer Sgt. Pepper's (I was always a "later Beatles" fan and like their 1967-1970 albums best), but I have come around on "Revolver" enough to realize its impact and also to devote a "Match the Song Title" post to it.

This is the album that led to so many things about music we know today: the psychedelic rock era, electronic music, progressive music, world music, the importance of studio technology, so many things. Yet, in another creation of the last 35 years, some people "don't like the Beatles," which blows my mind. (There were people who didn't like the Beatles back in the '60s, too. They were known as "squares.")

What I once regarded as one of the Beatles' "transition albums," along with "Rubber Soul," from the poppy Beatles to the experimental Beatles, was really an album that transitioned every listener into a new kind of music experience.

It's time now for Match the Song title, where I try to match up cards with song tracks.
 
Ready?

1, 2, 3, 4 ... 1, 2 ...

Match the Song Title: Revolver, The Beatles


Track 1: Taxman

Basically the first "topical" Beatles song, written and sung by George Harrison (he's all over this album) in protest of the high tax rates assessed top earners by the British government. This song also foreshadows the influence of Indian music that permeates the record.

Taxing is nothing I thought about when I was following baseball as a kid. Now, it is unavoidable. The luxury tax is what makes teams do what they do -- it essentially explains what seems to be inexplainable, such as the Cubs gutting much of their high-priced talent to avoid the competitive balance tax penalty as a third-time payer.
 
Yeah, I know your eyes probably glazed over reading that part. Sorry, that's the baseball world in which we live now.
 

Track 2: Eleanor Rigby

Paul McCartney's song about loneliness. I recall having to sing this in music class around sixth grade and getting stuck on the lyric about "wearing the face that she keeps in a jar by the door." It was a pretty weird image I had.

Eleanor Engle made history by being the first woman to sign a contract with a professional male baseball team in 1952 with the Harrisburg Senators. She never got to play as the contract was voided by bigwigs and the minor league president at the time called signing women to play ball a "travesty." While saying she had a "terrible time" in '52 due to the media scrutiny and the eyes that followed her, she forgave her detractors.
 



Although sometimes considered a drug song, it's actually dedicated to the joys of staying in bed all day ... or all week ... or all month ... written and sung by the notoriously lazy John Lennon. There's actually a yawn in the middle of the song. The whole track is filled with studio effects, a backward guitar solo in particular.
 
Mike Napoli is here because of his well-documented battle with sleep apnea. He would wake up at least 50 times a night from the time he started his major league career in his early 20s until he underwent an alarming surgery in 2014 where a doctor sawed away at his chin and jaw, reconfiguring his sinuses in a seven-hour operation. Napoli experienced his first dream in nearly 15 years shortly after the procedure. He was pretty thankful to be "only sleeping."
 


Track 4: Love You To

Harrison recorded this ode to hedonism with a pair of Indian musicians, so here's a card of Dinesh Patel, the first Indian to sign a contract with a Major League Baseball team. Patel pitched two years, 2009 and 2010, in the Pirates organization before being released.




I love this song because it's about living in the now, being ever-present, which is something I try to do, but fail at often. I try to use it as inspiration.

As for a trading card, I'm going with Fernando Tatis Jr., who the Padres, MLB and all of social media is broadcasting here, there and everywhere. Social media seems to have a fascination with declaring someone "The Face of Baseball" and how we're "losing" to some other major sport if baseball doesn't have someone immediately identifiable by every man, woman and child.

Meanwhile, I want players I see here, there and everywhere to just go away.
 



Like most kids of my generation, this is probably the first Beatles song I ever heard, likely incorporated into Sesame Street or some other Kids Television Network show. It was actually written as a children's song. It's Ringo Starr's chance to shine and the sound effects are still marvelous.

I wish I could claim the idea of using Kent Tekulve and his yellow get-up/submarine style for this song as my own. But it was actually inspired by a card creation of artist Scott Hodges.


That is fantastic. And what Project 70 should look like.




A song John Lennon wrote that includes a sentence uttered by Peter Fonda during an LSD-influenced conversation with Lennon, Harrison and Starr and members of the Byrds. Fonda, referencing a childhood operation in which he had technically died, said: "I know what it's like to be dead."

Former NHL player Rich Peverley collapsed on the Dallas Stars bench during a game against the Blue Jackets in March 2014. Peverley's heart rate flat-lined for nearly two minutes and there was real concern he was gone before he was eventually revived. Peverley retired not too long after that although he's doing well.

Peverley played college hockey for St. Lawrence University, which we cover heavily at the paper. It was a big story.
 



This song evokes all the things you love about life when it's warm: the first nice day of spring, the first day of vacation, and, of course, Opening Day. It's the only day of the season that the Colorado Rockies will be happy, even if just for a moment.
 



The first card I thought of. This song is John Lennon's reference to someone who has seen and done it all.
 
 

Track 10: For No One

This song baffled me for a bit as it's about Paul McCartney's relationship with a former girlfriend that fell apart and he still doesn't know why. "A love that should have lasted for years!"

How does that fit with baseball?

Then, like I often do, I turned to the Dodgers trading Mike Piazza. When you hear that the working title for this song was "Why Did It Die?," it all makes sense. It's amazing how we let relationships blind us. Piazza was a no-brainer for remaining with the Dodgers for his entire career. Yet he's in the Hall of Fame as a Met.



Track 11: Doctor Robert

A fairly straight-ahead song about a doctor who gave his patients amphetamine injections, which I would say is pretty appropriate for baseball.

Not that Dr. Dave Roberts is doing any of that funny business. But he was just what the Dodgers needed to get over the postseason hump and win a World Series.




Harrison singing about the abundance of thoughts in his head that he can't get across. It was influenced by LSD as several Revolver songs were. I don't have a baseball card that can sum up what Harrison was saying, so how about the Beatles running along the beach in the 1964 Beatles set with George Harrison's fake signature across it?
 



A Stevie Wonder-inspired song that was later released as a single by, no, not Peter Frampton, but Earth, Wind and Fire.

This was all thanks to the universally panned Sgt. Pepper's flick released in 1978. Donruss released a 66-card set based on the movie. Did anyone buy the cards?




The biggest drug trip on the record and the most praised song as well, as it's considered a pioneer for so many songs that would come later. It was a huge departure for the Beatles but a sign of things to come. 

"Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream" sounds like Dock Ellis to me. So here is Dock on a very psychedelic-looking '72 Topps card. Dig it.


And that's where the needle comes off the record.

I purchased "Revolver" way back when I first acquired a CD player in 1985. I think I bought "Rubber Soul" and "Abbey Road" at the same time. (The first Beatles record I owned was "Let It Be").

The Beatles are one of those groups that is timeless, but sometimes you have to let the young'uns know what came before so they can appreciate it.

This is where a lot of your music started. Right here.

Comments

dayf said…
this is fantastic
i too prefer later Beatles, but i've been listening to a history of rock music podcast lately and it's really made me appreciate their early stuff more
there's a lot of variety and crazy cover songs on those first couple of albums
Ringo singing Boys by the Shirelles is a certified banger
Jeremya1um said…
When I saw the title Revolver, I was hoping it was going to be about the Donna’s version of the song. I’m still not sure where I stand on the Beatles. I like some songs of theirs, and some I don’t care for. I don’t know enough of their songs to give a fair judgement. Perhaps I will have to check out both of the albums mentioned.
jacobmrley said…
As a Beatles and cardboard fanatic, I enthusiastically approve these choices. The Tek was especially well done. A link to Don Draper listening to Tomorrow Never Knows would have made this post perfect.
jacobmrley said…
I, uh, probably should have posted that link, huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLLL9DKpUa4
Beatle fanatic that I am, I never acquired a single Donruss Sgt. Pepper card. I still can't decide whether I should. At the time I did have a little crush on Sandy Farina ("Strawberry Fields"), maybe I should get her "rookie card".

I prefer Help, Rubber Soul & Revolver to Sgt Pepper myself. I used to rank Pepper higher, but I think part of it is the 1952 Mantle effect... It's been drummed into me for so long that THIS IS THE BEST ALBUM EVER that I subconsciously push back on that idea.

Nick said…
What Mr. Shlabotnik said - the mass hysteria over Sgt. Pepper has pushed it quite a bit lower on my list over the years. Help! & A Hard Day's Night are my two favorite Beatles albums, with Rubber Soul a close third. Revolver is still great (as all Beatles albums are!) and probably their most diverse as far as sound goes.

I'd buy that Teke card in a heartbeat if Topps ever put it out - the "Yellow Submarine" mashup is just so perfect. "I Want To Tell You" is an underrated George track. It's got some of the strangest chord changes of any song I've ever heard.
bryan was here said…
As a longtime Beatles fan (thanks Mum!), I find Revolver one of their best albums, after Rubber Soul. This was a time when a lot of famous '60s acts were transitioning to an edgier, psychedelic style. Think Tommy James and the Shondells' "I Think We're Alone Now" (light, fun pop) to "Crimson and Clover" within the span of a few months.

Funny, but I actually found some Sgt.Pepper cards in the dime box at the flea market last weekend. Didn't buy any...
Fuji said…
Awesome post! That custom card that Scott Hodges produced is fantastic. Although there are plenty of early songs I love of theirs... these days I find myself listening to the later years stuff more and more.
I have one maybe two complete sets of the Sgt Pepper cards. One of my families favorites movies. Or I should say my sons and I, my wife hates the movie. Love Billy Preston singing Get Back.
My favorite band and three of my passions -- cards, baseball and music.

Some of your best posts are the ones where you weave cards and music, and this checks a lot of boxes.

(Though I might have gone with Billy Martin's 1972 Topps In Action card for 'I Want to Tell You.")

I like the Anthology series that came out in the mid 90's. You can not like the Beatles music (which is not understandable), but you have to respect their contributions to...everything.

Dave Roberts has a habit of getting teams over a postseason hump to win a World Series.
Old Cards said…
What a great subject - the Beatles! How about a match for their song "If I Fell" to the 2019 Gary Carter Topps Opening Day - 150 Years of Fun #YOF-11 card?
hiflew said…
Cheap (but probably accurate) shot at the Rox there.

Personally I have always preferred Rubber Soul over the more critically acclaimed later Beatles albums. Revolver is very good, but I have never really gotten into Sgt. Pepper.
Jafronius said…
Awesome post! My preference is to Abbey Road and Rubber Soul. The only card I was in the ballpark for was for Yellow Submarine...figured it would be a 70s Pirate.
BaseSetCalling said…
Maybe the last Manager card Topps will ever make?

With the Beatles I treat Rubber Soul as Side 1 and Revolver as Side 2. You can’t make me pick a favorite side of one of the greatest coins ever.
Mark Hoyle said…
Huge Beatles fan here. I put Revolver as my favorite. Rubbe4 Soul #2.. White Album #4 Abbey Road #4 Sgt Pepper has been pushed down to #5. You can’t go wrong with any of their works. Really liked your choices to go with the songs
Bo said…
I was one of those smug teenagers who thought the Beatles were lame. As an adult my wife started playing the songs for my kids, which was the first time I really sat down and listened to their songs. I ended up doing a complete 180 and really enjoy their music now. Don't know the individual albums well enough to pick a favorite.
Brett Alan said…
OK, I wrote a comment the other day, and my browser or internet connection somehow lost it.

Anyway, Revolver is my favorite album, bar none. The only one that makes me rethink that is the White Album, which is a tough comparison because it's twice as long.

I actually did buy the Donruss Sgt. Pepper set, but not on purpose! Richard West, who wrote for Baseball Hobby News and was also a dealer, had an ad in one issue for a set called "Strawberry Fields". I had never heard of it, and it was reasonably priced, so I wrote in for it. I received the Sgt. Pepper set with a note explaining that he had listed it wrong (but no offer that I could return it or anything). At least I didn't already have it. Still have it in the box he sent it to me in.

For "For No One" if there's any card this year (or maybe last year from something like Topps Now) that really shows players playing in an empty stadium, that would work really well. Other than that I can't argue with your choices.
Nick Vossbrink said…
I prefer later Beatles as well. And I'm a Harrison fan here too. But I'm just sticking my head in to nominate 1984 Fleer Roy Lee Jackson for "And Your Bird Can Sing"
Adam Kaningher said…
Really looking forward to Opening Day!
Matt said…
This was the first Beatles CD I ever owned, and "Eleanor Rigby" is such a hauntingly beautiful song it still gives me chills.