Skip to main content

Mail distress

 
Everyone knows that mail can be a source of distress.

Tax bills, overdue notices, the jury duty summons, there is lots of unwelcome news in that mailbox.

Card collecting has alleviated any delivered angst somewhat for me. Ever since I started this blog, most days I'm thrilled to go to the mailbox. It's usually overflowing with joy and excitement.

Lately, though, I don't know what's going on. I've been ordering quite a bit on ebay the last couple of months. It's been clicking along well and I've added several cool items recently, which I need to show off here.

But just in the last few days, I've hit a rough stretch. I have had to contact three separate sellers this week because of something wrong with the order. Sometimes it was the seller's fault, sometimes it was out of their control, but in every case I wasn't happy after picking up the mail. Mail distress! That's not supposed to happen anymore!

Today was a doozy. I mean, it was really bad. I can't go into detail as I just contacted the seller and anything I say here will make them look bad and they haven't had the chance to fix it yet. But it's a significant goof.

So, right now, I'm quite flustered. Card stuff doesn't ever get me flustered. But I can barely focus at the moment.

I need to balance it out with what I know to be good in the card world.

Bloggers, for instance, know how to ship cards to satisfaction. I think it's because they're collectors, too, collectors who love cards so much that they have to write about them. I've almost never had issues with fellow bloggers mailing me cards. There is no mail distress.

A recent example is Johnny from Cards From The Quarry. He's returned to the blogging game after quite awhile away and he's gotten back into the rhythm with little trouble. The last few weeks he's been offering up trade bait by team and I've snapped up a few cards.




A lot of what Johnny's been offering are parallels, which is great for me because I'll always be sucker for most parallels.

I didn't realize that all of the cards I claimed -- two long-forgotten prospects and a player who took off just before the Dodgers won a World Series -- were blue-themed.

I also claimed a handful of cards that will be part of my own trades, although there's one card I'm tempted to keep.

Now, this is where Johnny demonstrates how bloggers know how to create happiness in the mailbox, not distress.




He added four extras (the Alex Wood at the top included), featuring two new-to-me Kershaws!

That will wipe away the ebay angst!

But, really, this particular ebay screw-up needs to be corrected or even all of the right-thinking card bloggers aren't going to be able to help.

Stay tuned.

(Edit: I returned home from dinner break to see a response from the seller and they plan to fix it. Phew!)

Comments

I'm dealing with an"issue" on Sportlots right now, over a 1 card order, shipped the incorrect card that cost me .25 + 1.50 in shipping, wants me to send the card back my expense and get refunded the .25 only. Not happy with that. I get you brother. Hope things work out favorably.
Well, I'm anxious for you regarding the eBay thing and curious in a very nosy way about what the heck is going on! Good luck with that. Nice going on the cards from the Quarry guy! I've got a card for you on the way the way to me which will then be on the way to you, too!
Fuji said…
Glad the eBay seller plans to fix the issue. I've recently encountered an eBay issue myself, but as the seller. It doesn't really have anything to do with eBay. But the USPS and their shipping delays are seriously stressing me out.
RunForeKelloggs said…
I hope the seller didn't use the Standard Envelope option. I've had mixed results trying to use the tracking that is supposed to go along with this cheaper shipping method.
Two Packs A Day said…
my guess is they shipped a card in a penny sleeve but not a toploader because they are too cheap to pay the increased prices for toploaders, and your card got creased.
Bo said…
This was me not that long ago, fortunately everything basically got straightened out, sounds like yours (hopefully) are as well.
Jon said…
I've had to deal with so many bad eBay sellers over the years, and no matter how many times it happens (usually damage from poor packing), it never gets any easier, or less stressful.
AdamE said…
I get 99% of my cards via eBay now. I very rarely have any issues. In the last couple years I have had 3 that I know of. Only 1 has been the seller's fault. One the post office dropped off at the wrong location but my postman ended up finding it for me. (I blogged about that) Back in November I had a package not show up. It was like $5 after shipping and I was going to pursue it then forgot. About 2 weeks ago my wife brought me a package and said, "sorry I don't know how long this has been under the seat in my car." Thirdly I just ordered all the Red Sox Team Sets for 2020. (almost all, still missing a few) I received a Heritage Minors team set that had the 1st card in the team bag as a Heritage Minor and all the rest were Gypsy Queen. So only 1 seller problem in a few years worth of packages.

I also got some eBay charity. The A&G team set I ordered came with all but 4 of the minis. Many others came with a bunch of inserts. All stuff I didn't order. All nice suprises.