Skip to main content

Back to the present day


Without really knowing it, I've almost ignored modern cards on this blog for a good two weeks.

Between busting through a box of 1989 Fleer, organizing a box of cards mostly from the '80s and '90s, focusing on past sets like 1992 Pinnacle, 1958 Topps and 1977 Topps football, reliving my memories of trips to buy cards and powder blue uniforms, there's been no time for cards produced here in 2018. I even didn't bother going to the card aisle for two weeks.

I'm sure many readers prefer it that way and are screaming at the screen -- "No, no! Why is there a 2018 Topps card on the top of this post?!?! Where are you going with this?!?! Back to the past!!!! Back! Back!"

I hear you. My heart isn't in current cards either. But I do still collect them. Therefore I must show them.

A little while ago, Jason of Hoarding Cardboard sent an envelope of Dodgers goodies, most of which were current cards that I needed.

The Chris Taylor Big League card gets me a step closer to completing that team set, although I admit with my break from modern cards I've fallen off on that mission quite a bit.


Here are two flagship needs. Yup, still need flagship Dodgers. Kyle Farmer is hanging all by his lonesome on the want list.


Another 1983-themed Dodger insert down. There are like a dozen Dodgers in this insert set. That's obnoxious.


But last year, with the '87-themed ones, wasn't any different. I'm still trying to complete them. Here is one down.


Two years ago, Topps put out a 500 HR Futures Club insert set with all kinds of ludicrous subjects in it, including Joc Pederson who had hit no more than 26 home runs at this point in his career. The back even admits that, saying he would have to average 28 home runs a year through the age 40 to reach 500. That's a whole cardboard box of "ifs" there.


Two years later, Topps reined it in a little with this HR insert, focusing instead of long homers, something that Pederson actually does hit. No extrapolating here. I've seen it with my own eyes.



More modern weirdness. Adrian Beltre playing for the Los Angeleses in a uniform that has never existed in the majors to my knowledge. This is the blue-bordered variety of this Panini Donruss card. Still looking for the base card.


Jason did send an older card, although I know 1992 doesn't go back far enough for some of you. This is a Bazooka "quad card" commemorating the '53 set. I have no idea how many Dodgers are shown on these cards. I just know I have three of them.


Jason also sent a copy of the stadium monthly publication. This one is from June 2013. I know that because there's mention of the 50th anniversary of the 1963 championship team in it, along with plenty of references to players like Adrian Gonzalez, Jose Uribe and Andre Ethier.

I have no concerns about focusing on the past, whether it's five years ago, 20 years ago or 40 years ago. Baseball's respect for its past blends perfectly with my appreciation for history. If that disqualifies me from being relevant then so be it. But I don't think it does.

I'll explain why in my next post.

Comments

Glad everything arrived safely. Knew the modern ones you could use; just hoped that no one sent them before I did.
Old Cards said…
I am one of those readers hollering no, no, not new cards, but you finished the post up so nicely with the cover showing Wills and Davis with their 1963 championship rings. I remember watching this series and cheering them on as they swept the mighty Yankees 4 games to none! It was great!
Fuji said…
Vintage trumps modern cards 95% of the time, but one day 2018 Big League will be considered vintage to someone... right?
Community Gum said…
One of the great things about your blog is the mix of new and old and getting a better insight on the juxtaposition of them.