Skip to main content

The 1975 Topps countdown, worst to best (No. 620-601)

 
With this post, the countdown will be 60 cards in ... and still will not be through with all of the airbrushed photos on the set.

The '75 set is truly in the middle of The Airbrush Era, which I would say began in the late '60s and was in full force through much of the '70s before waning in the '80s. (Artist updates has been a thing in cards long before the '60s). Although that era's airbrushing seems comical to me and others in retrospect, I barely noticed it as a kid collecting cards. I was too focused on the players and the design, I guess.

Anyway, this is the third installment of the '75 Worst to Best Countdown in which I rank every card in the set, and get ready for another round of painted hats.


620. Brent Strom (card 643)

Still not done with the Padres' butterscotch hats either. Topps insisted San Diego still wore these hats at this time, but, as seen on other cards in the set, the team had gone to the multi-colored panel caps by this point. This was one of the cards we treated as if it had cooties.
 


619. Roger Nelson (card 572)

Roger Nelson had pitched for the Reds prior to joining the White Sox, so this is an airbrushed Reds hat and the painting has turned a crimson color, which is neither Reds colors nor the White Sox colors of the day. I've given the card a bit of a pass because I have a weakness for glasses-wearing ballplayers.
 
 

618. Rico Carty (card 655)
 
There are several Cleveland Indians airbrush jobs in this segment. The Cleveland logo from this time isn't too difficult to replicate but Carty is smiling under an obvious painted hat. Also, he played for the Braves, Rangers, Cubs, A's and Indians between 1972-74 so who knows what uniform he's actually wearing.
 
 

617. Jim Northrup (641)

It's time for a flock of Orioles airbrushed hats. Painting the cartoon bird produced all kinds of variations in this set. Northrup's isn't believable for a second.



616. Ross Grimsley (card 458)

Oriole bird looks a little better on this card, although the hat is definitely painted (and possibly sculpted larger to accommodate the bird). "Scuzz" gets a point for circle-dotting the I in his name. Also, it's a card I saw as a kid, I thought it was kinda cool as it looks like it was taken at dusk.



615. Bob Oliver (card 657)

If you've been paying attention, there has been a lot of high-numbered cards already covered in this countdown. Topps wasn't issuing its set in series anymore in 1975 but there are a disproportionate number of players who changed teams in cards 500-and-above, so I think Topps was still reserving the higher numbers for some "late" transactions.



614. Elias Sosa (card 398)

Now we're on a Cardinals run of airbrushing. There sure a lot of painted St. Louis hats. Some teams really do not have a '75 team set worth boasting over.



613. Ron Hunt (card 610)

Ron Hunt played in 12 games for the Cardinals in 1974 to close his career. God bless Topps for trying.



612. Ray Sadecki (card 349)

I do not blame any kid in 1975 for pulling Ray Sadecki and thinking it was the same guy as Ron Hunt or vice versa. Fortunately I didn't get the two confused as I saw neither card that year.



611. Horacio Pina (card 139)

Horacio Pina was practically with a new team every year throughout his career. Somehow, this is just one of three airbrushed cards of his, and the only one with a painted logo.



610. Gene Clines (card 575)

The glow-in-the-dark orange Mets logo really jumps out of this card. Also, it took pulling this card for me to realize that it's in rough shape in relation to my other cards in the set. It even has a crease, which I've tried to avoid in my '75s. I've already ordered a new version.



609. Steve Kline (639)

Steve Kline stares vacantly into the distance as the Cleveland "C" slowly slides off his cap.
 



608. Wilbur Howard (card 563)

I commend the airbrusher for matching the hat color with the top border color. This happens on a couple other cards, so I wonder if this was on purpose.



607. Ken Boswell (card 479)

Really boring card. I saw this card a lot in '75 but I can't tell you how I acquired it or anything, which tells you how little I thought of it -- because I was at a point then of thinking every card was great and treasuring every acquisition.



606. Jim Perry (card 263)

Jim Perry spent one year with the Tigers in 1973. I think that's a Detroit uniform he is wearing. I didn't see this card in '75 but if I did I would've been sure he was 75 years old.



605. Billy Grabarkewitz (card 233)

So why is this card ranked so highly in relation to some other airbrushed Cubs head shots, especially with that positively cartoon Cubs hat? Well, first, he's wearing a cartoon hat. But also, I loved this card as a kid, I thought the name was great (also I challenge any current long-named MLB player to sign their name that well). Plus, all you need to do to liven up your head shot is throw a bat on your shoulder. Everyone knows that.



604. Terry Crowley (card 447)

Terry Crowley has been airbushed into a Reds uniform, meaning that Topps wants you to think that the Reds played in Yankee Stadium, which was not happening in the mid-1970s. Maybe it was foreshadowing for the 1976 World Series. But that would have been in the refurbished Yankee Stadium and this is the pre-furbished Yankee Stadium.



603. Larry Gura (card 557)

The countdown has left most of the "looking up" cards behind, but there are a handful still to come. Larry Gura does not look dazed or goofy in this pose, but kind of regal. The pink-yellow border livens up the neutral picture. It's not bad.



602. Jose Cruz (card 514)

One of the most amusing airbrushings and definitely the largest hat logo in the set. Cruz balances it out with his nickname in his signature and that bat on his shoulder.



601. Red Sox team (card 172)

One of those team cards where the team picture is a bit muddled when viewed in person. At least this Red Sox team card doesn't feature those floating head shots at the top, which just made me think those players had died.


And that does it for this episode. We will enter the 500s with the next one. We'll finally get to some cards that the players actually wanted to show their mothers ... I think.

Comments

Old Cards said…
Great countdown! Ron Hunt gets a career-capper card? Interesting.








Douglas said…
Hunt still led the NL by HBP that year capping off an incredible albeit painful run.
Roger Nelson is giving off strong middle school science teacher vibes.

Why is the C on Steve Kline's cap SO crooked? Although Perry's isn't much better.

Pretty sure Billy Grabarkewitz signs TTM but only signs "Billy G".
bryan was here said…
Jim Perry pitched for Cleveland the entire 1974 season, yet is still airbrushed into a cap. Ironically, he's wearing his Tigers jersey, where he pitched the entire 1973 season, yet is airbrushed into a Tigers cap in the '74 set.

I've always said that Astros logo on Cheo's cap can be seen from space.
1984 Tigers said…
Pretty lame that topps couldn't get a 1974 photo of Jim Perry who had a pretty solid career. That must have been from spring training 1973.

Northrup is in a tigers uniform because he got traded to expos in August 74 and then sold to Baltimore in Sept.

I never caught the Cruz nickname until you pointed it out.

At least they kept Nelson's reds jersey from being painted. It passed for white Sox if you didn't know better.

I think topps mostly stopped the airbrushing around 82 or 83 because they were doing the update set. Plus, I know for sure by 1985, you were buying cards in February from dealers and the cards were probably printed in Nov and early Dec before teams had traded or signed free agents.

Personally I liked the opc style of saying "traded to xxx dd,mm,yy" and do no airbrushing. I think the 1st set that actually showed people traded or signed from a team is the 1977 opc baseball thay had a bunch of blue jays and some expos in their new unis in spring training. Love that set and tony Perez in Montreal uni.

Paul t
Chris said…
Now I'm wondering which of these cards were the most frequently pulled and discarded by those of you lucky enough tip rip open packs at the time.

Lots of awful airbrushing and bland poses, along with a lack of star power. I've heard of 4-5 of these guys, and didn't realize Cruz had played for anyone but the Astros.
bbcardz said…
I was lucky enough to open 1975 Topps in 1975 and those strange-looking caps did catch my eye. But back then I didn't know airbrushing was a thing. Anyways, I count three ex-Dodgers, two of whom are more commonly regarded as former Giants.
John Bateman said…
I don't think I really noticed/understood airbrushing until the 1981 Topps Traded Set - I was about 17
Matt said…
I wondered when the first Red Sox card would appear and which one. Should I find it weird that all the guys in the front row of seats are sitting open-legged, or that the two kneeling guys are doing are being symmetrical?
Nick said…
I wonder what '60s/'70s set has the highest percentage of airbrushed hats. After seeing these posts, I'd have to imagine '75 Topps is right near the top.
Fuji said…
I tip my cap to you. No way I could ever rank this many cards. I tried to rank this group of 20 and the only conclusion I came to was the team card was my favorite of the bunch. If I attempted to rank the other 19... there no way I could put them in the exact same order tomorrow morning.
Jafronius said…
I wonder if there was a team of airbrushers or if there was one poor guy assigned to do it and he started out crappy and slowly got "better".