Skip to main content

Switching it up

 
I'm not sure where I got this post idea, it's possible it came from Nick's blog, but the spark from wherever made me wonder about switch-hitters and cards.

How easy was it to find separate cards of a switch-hitter hitting from both sides of the plate, or at least posing as both a left-handed batter and right-handed batter?

My guess was it's probably pretty easy. And in researching, I found that it's very easy.

Just to have a frame of reference, I found this article from three years ago, presenting a lineup of the best switch-hitters in MLB history. Then I went to work going through my collection. Even in this era of being able to find almost any card image on TCDB, etc., I still would rather pull cards from my collection when I can. Yeah, it takes longer and, oh, the putting back, but I'm a slave to tradition.
 
Here is a look at the team (remember, I didn't pick this team) and a card of each player as a lefty and righty swinger:
 
 

Left field: Tim Raines
Cards: 1984 Topps (lefty) and 1985 Topps (righty)
Thought: My mind went right to 1985 Topps, then it was just a matter of finding the left-handed stance card.



Second base: Roberto Alomar
Cards: 1990 Topps (righty) and 1989 Topps (lefty)
Thought: There are two switch-hitters I think of instantly, they're both coming up on this team. Then there are those I don't think of at all. Roberto Alomar is one. Finding a card of each wasn't too difficult, although there are plenty of fielding shots to sift through.



Center field: Mickey Mantle
Cards: 2009 Topps Allen & Ginter (righty) and 2006 Topps (lefty)
Thought: Mantle is definitely not the first switch-hitter, but he's the earliest one of major fame, or maybe it's Frankie Frisch. But he's the consensus best switch-hitter of all-time, right?



Third base: Chipper Jones
Cards: 1994 Pacific (lefty) and 2008 Topps Heritage (righty)
Thought: Everything on that Pacific card looks big, the trophy, the bat, the scoreboard might fall on him.



First base: Eddie Murray
Cards: 1979 Topps (lefty) and 1985 Topps (righty)
Thought: '85 Topps was also my first thought with Murray, who is one of the first two switch-hitters I think of.



Designated hitter: Lance Berkman
Cards: 2004 Topps (lefty) and 2011 Topps Update (righty)
Thought: The trickiest player to find both in my collection, it seems like almost all of my Berkman cards show him from the left side of the plate. (Also, I have like 200 different Eddie Murrays and 33 Berkmans).
 


Right field: Reggie Smith
Cards: 1980 Topps (righty) and 1981 Donruss (lefty)
Thought: My favorite switch-hitter. It's amazing with all the Smith batting cards in my collection that finding him batting lefty and righty is just occurring to me.



Catcher: Ted Simmons
Cards: 1981 Topps (lefty) and 1976 Topps (righty)
Thought: It's already been three years since Simmons was inducted into the Hall of Fame. 



Shortstop: Francisco Lindor
Cards: 2019 Topps Big League (lefty) and 2017 Topps Father's Day insert (righty)
Thought: Another tricky one, mostly because Topps' priorities when selecting Lindor photos seem to be: 1. Get him fielding; 2. Get him smiling. I went with two follow-through shots, which I tried to avoid in this exercise, because that's all I had.
 


Utility: Pete Rose
Cards: 1975 Topps (lefty) and 1971 Topps (righty)
Thought: Yeah, I know, you were wondering where the heck Pete Rose was. Me, too. Putting him at the utility position is pretty nuts. He's the first guy I think of for the topic of switch-hitters.

There were also runner-up players selected, I'll just list those here: Roy White (LF), Frankie Frisch (2B), Carlos Beltran (CF), Bobby Bonilla (3B), Mark Teixeira (1B), Chili Davis (DH), Ken Singleton (RF), Jorge Posada (C), Jose Reyes (SS), Tony Phillips, Ben Zobrist (UT)

The MLB story also picked Carlos Zambrano as the pitcher, but there's a DH on the team so he's not batting. Also I have only one card of Zambrano batting.

OK, curiosity satisfied.

I need to get a robot to put back these cards.

Comments

bbcardz said…
Great post! But I've always wondered how exactly they developed into becoming switch hitters. Were they encouraged/inspired/taught by someone in their youth? Or was it just a happy accident that they found this talent?

On a related note, any cards of ambidextrous pitchers pitching left/right handed?
Ted Simmons....awesome.
Fun idea. I wish there might be two cards issued in the same year that shows a player batting from both sides. Really only likely during the 1981-1990s when so many sets were being issued concurrently. But it's neat to see. That Murray Record Breaker card is an all-timer.
Nick said…
I'm a bit astounded that I never thought to look for this on my own before. I also have to admit I didn't know Ted Simmons was a switch-hitter.
Jimetal7212 said…
I'll counter what Nick said by saying I knew Simmons was a switch hitter, but completely forgot Lindor was. My mind has him as a lefty. Could be that the only times I see him playing that's the side his hitting from. Really, 3 years already for Simmons?! How'd that happen?
steelehere said…
What a big different in size in the first letters of Pete and Rose on the facsimile signatures of his 1971 and 1975 Topps cards? Much like everyone’s hairstyles between 1971 and 1975, thinks got a little wilder by the mid ’70’s.
sg488 said…
Mariano Duncan was a switch hitter his first 3 years with the Dodgers.
beefman said…
I'm no great fan of the 2006 Topps design, but that 2006 Mantle is one of the nicest looking cards I've ever seen.
Brett Alan said…
Just looked through my Lindor collection, and I have a lot of cards of him hitting, but all of them seem to show him batting lefty. 2016 Bunt with Cleveland and 2022 Fire with the Mets are probably the best. A few Panini logoless options too. But from the right side I've got squat.

I want to see Vida Blue as the pitcher, but good luck finding the cards of him batting.
Old Cards said…
Nice post! Agree that Mantle is the best switch-hitter of all-time. I can see why you had to use modern cards for Mantle since there were so many portrait shots for his cards during his active career.
Fuji said…
When I think of switch hitters, Rose is the first guy I think of too. Murray would be the second and it has to do with that 1988 record breaker card. I remember getting excited about pulling both variations of that card.
Doc Samson said…
Thanks, Mr. Owl. I liked this post a lot. Interesting bit of trivia: Cardinals shortstop Garry Templeton was the first switch hitter to get 100 hits from each side of the plate in a season. He was probably more famous for once cussing at the fans without saying a word.
night owl said…
That may or may not be true on Templeton:

https://nightowlcards.blogspot.com/2017/03/ca-1980-topps-1979-highlights-garry.html
Doc Samson said…
Wow. Thanks so much for pointing out this falsehood, Mr. Owl. I had no idea. Also, as an avid reader of your blog, I can’t believe I have never seen the post about Templeton that you attached. Your are so right about stats being wonky back in the day.

I also wonder if this had anything to do with the whole controversy: sometimes a switch hitter would get in the other batter’s box in the middle of an at bat because they weren’t seeing the pitches well from the original box they started in. I honestly never heard Templeton doing this, but I know some old time hitters used to do this.

Thanks again, wise Owl.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Hehe that was a borderline throwaway comment I made with my recent Johnny Ray TTM return and I'm glad it inspired this post since it's a fun idea. I just wish you'd ended this with Greg Harris and his 1991 Score card and Lew Burdette and his 1959 Topps card.
Chris said…
I enjoyed this, as someone who doesn't often think about photo poses but loves a good "create your own lineup of guys who ___"

Also, pulling and putting back cards is one of, if not my very least favorite thing about collecting. If you find that robot let me know and I'll buy one.
Zippy Zappy said…
"The MLB story also picked Carlos Zambrano as the pitcher"
Pat Venditte snubbed.
Bo said…
Got to think Bernie Williams makes the team somewhere.