Skip to main content

Line 'em up

 
In my current state of gathering 1988 Donruss (down to one card as of today!), I was reminded of a border feature from the mid-'80s to early '90s on those Donruss sets.

The border patterns lined up if you positioned the cards just so. So I did it, just to finally see what junk wax fans were talking about and ... yeah, to get an easy blog post.

The first four Donruss sets all featured white borders, but in 1985 it started go with colored borders and it also started doodling inside the borders. I was not a fan of Donruss doodling, as I've said many times most of those '80s Donruss sets just don't look that professional to me, compared with their counterparts at the time.

But I'm not above collecting them or lining them up.


The 1985 set featured black borders and red racing stripes that you could line up with any other card.



Then in 1986, Donruss decided to just put lines all over the entire card. It's pretty easy to line these up with approximately 100 lines per card. Once you overcome the seizures the design causes anyway.
 

1987 Donruss is the very definition of doodling Donruss. Those drawn baseballs are a big hit with some collectors but it's the reason I will never try to complete this set. It looks so dopey and ruined a perfectly good black border set (well that and the rounded photo borders). But the set's ability to line up with its card neighbors is among the very best.
 


The set I am immersed in right now. I do like the icy blue borders and the Tron-like graphic theme. Black-and-blue is among my very favorite color combos. It just looks cool compared to other Donruss sets at the time, so I don't understand when people get down on this one -- outside of it growing from every tree, that is. The borders line up very nicely.
 


The king of the Donruss line-up sets is 1989 Donruss (Happy 70th birthday, George Brett!). You can build a color spectrum rainbow with your cards. But unlike the other sets, you have to search out the right cards to build that rainbow.
 


OK, I have no idea whether the paint splatters line up with other cards. They're generally placed in the same spot on each card but the individual splatters don't sync up. Maybe they do. But I don't want to be one of those people searching every 1990 Donruss card to find out. I try to avoid this set as much as I can.


Another non-favorite. The red name lines and blue position lines on 1991 Donruss line up on every card. It's possible the abundant number of lines on the rest of the card do line up with other cards. It'll stay a mystery to me. Again, I keep '91 Donruss in a box for a reason.
 


If you want to see a '91 Donruss set line up without all the clutter then "The Rookies" set is the place to go. Simple clean design. Like a breath of fresh air.

Donruss went back to white borders after 1991 and then eventually no borders (and then eventually out of business). 

I suppose the lining up encouraged playing with your cards, which I wholeheartedly support. But if I'm collecting a Donruss set, it probably has to do with the players pictured, not the design.

(P.S.: The top screen shot is the 1987 All-Star Game in Oakland).

Comments

John Bateman said…
Never really lined the cards before - interesting -

1988 Donruss in my opinion is the most over produce, cheap looking/feel king of all kings of Junk Wax Sets.

There was a redeeming quality of 1989 Donruss but then you got one of the worst sets of all time in RED 1990 Donruss - which then beget YELLOW 1991 Fleer. With that debacle that was then end of the Junk Wax era.

1992 saw better quality (1992), thicker slicker cards (and more expensive cards
From Edith and Archie...... Those were the days.
beefman said…
Incredibly, you have somehow managed to convince me that there was potential with that 1991 Donruss design. Well done!
Doc Samson said…
Interesting tactic, Mr. Owl. Even when putting one of these sets in a binder, you can see how well they line up despite the gaps in between cards. I actually put a 1989 Donruss Best set (not their flagship) in a binder with Platinum Ultra Pro pages and the entire set looks fabulous. Thanks again!
Michael D said…
Interesting how you come up with these posts! Donruss from the '80s are what I think of when it comes to the junk wax era.
Matt said…
The 1989 design is probably my all-time favorite Donruss design, but I never thought to line them up like that. Another reason to appreciate the innovation of 80's Donruss!
Anonymous said…
You're out of control.
Fuji said…
This is one of those things that I knew about (not sure how... but probably from fellow bloggers or possibly from an early 90's card magazine), but needed a post like this to see them all in one shot and let it soak in. Thanks for taking the time to write this post.