Skip to main content

From start to finish

 
 
The June-July issue of Beckett Vintage Collector arrived at my doorstep Saturday and inside is my 16th article for Beckett, mostly with the Vintage magazine.

That's still pretty cool, and there's newness for me with this issue as well. I'm actually interviewed for another article in the edition.

The article in which I'm interviewed, by Kevin Glew, is on 1983 Topps, a set I absolutely love. It's the first long article in the magazine (if you know the Vintage mag set-up, there are a bunch of short news items or photographs to kick off things before the long-form stories). The article that I wrote is on the history of All-Star cards in Topps. It's the last article in the magazine.

I never know how to react to my story's placement in the magazine. Should being last be considered the "last to make the cut" or should it be considered the "grand finale," like Sports Illustrated did back in the day?

Whatever. I'm published in a slick, glossy, colorful form again, just like I always wanted. And I'm in there from start ...


... to finish ...
 

My current article gets extra coolness points as that '75 layout is my construction with my cards and it was photographed on my dining room table, you can see it in the background. Dining Room Table Gets Star Billing.
 
This article is a pretty straightforward analysis of All-Star cards in Topps baseball sets over the years, sticking with pre-1982 sets. Topps presented All-Stars in a variety of ways and chose the players to select in a variety of ways. And then there were years when it didn't recognize All-Stars at all.
 
All-Star cards still exist today, but we're getting to a point where I can see them disappearing forever. Will the Midsummer Classic always be a thing? I wonder. And I wonder in the article, too. With balanced schedules, realignment is on its way and there will be next-to-no separation of the leagues in the next round.
 
Anyway, that's for a depressing point in the future. What I want to do now is something fun with the All-Star cards. Per usual, when I have a Beckett article published, I like to provide something extra here, yet related to what I've written.
 
So it's pretty simple this time. Who has had the most All-Star cards in Topps history?
 
I've confined this to the 20th century, so I'm only considering All-Star cards from the first Topps set to have them (1958) to when it stopped creating them (1996). (They reappeared in 2003, I think). I'm also not considering all the glossy All-Star sets from the '80s, I'm just focusing on flagship.
 
All right, in 9th place are a bunch of players who showed up as All-Stars seven times. Those players are Wade Boggs, Gary Carter, Steve Garvey, Joe Morgan, Brooks Robinson, Mike Schmidt, Ozzie Smith and Dave Winfield.
 
Then there are two players tied for 7th place with eight All-Star cards each.
 
 

Hank Aaron and Reggie Jackson. Two heavy-hitters. These show the contrast in how Topps has selected All-Stars for their sets. Aaron was based on The Sporting News' end-of-season team. Jackson was based on being selected a starter in 1975. (Jackson should have had nine total, he was robbed of one in the '75 set).

The fourth-place spot is a three-way tie, two Big Red Machine greats and a more recent perennial All-Star.


Johnny Bench, Pete Rose and Cal Ripken Jr. each appeared as All-Stars nine times.

Two players share the second-place spot.



George Brett and Carlton Fisk have All-Star cards in the double digits with 10 apiece.

But the one player with the most All-Star cards is alone at the top by a decent margin.


Rod Carew has appeared as an All-Star in Topps flagship 13 times.

I enjoyed tracking this down, and now I have a neat little list of all the folks with All-Star cards prior to 2000. Maybe I'll add the more recent All-Star cards to the totals, but I doubt it.

I have written about the All-Star Game and All-Star cards many, many, many times on this blog, so it's about time I put it in magazine form. I think maybe I've said all I have to say about these cards now.
 
 

The latest edition, with Tony Gwynn on the cover (he has five All-Star cards), should show up in book stores and magazine racks near the end of the month.

I hope to keep going on more magazine stories, although I often feel like I'm running out of ideas. ... well, ideas that people will want to read anyway.

Comments

1984 Tigers said…
Nite owl,

Just got my vintage too but am still catching up from a few earlier editions before I'll have time to read your latest clip. The only reason I found your blog was the great story of your 72 topps set build plus you may also have talked high numbers (not sure if that was you but Jose Pagan being honored in the highs was interesting).

I too love the 83 set. I was 20 and finishing my sophomore year at U of Mich. I had picked up a hundred of so nice 1963s from a friend and noticed the re-emerged look right away. Funny how at the end of the season the traded set cost as much if not more than the 792 card set because it had Kittle and Strawberry in it.

I loved the 77 topps set since it had three tigers who started 76 AS game in Philly. Fidrych, Staub, Leflore. All had the AS stripe.

Keep up the amazingly interesting blogs and beckett adds. I'm motivated now to start setting up shows to sell off some 60s to 80s dupes and some unopened packs. Just wish I had bought and saved unopened box like I did for 82 and 84 and 85 topps at the end of the season.
night owl said…
Yep, I did the Jose Pagan-High Numbers article.
John Bateman said…
Have not picked up a Beckett in years but - there are subjects 1983 Topps and All Star cards that interest me

I will wait for the article but I wonder if you did a deep dive into the teams. The Sporting News has pick NL and AL teams since the 1930s (Topps I believe used the players they picked the year before)- When Topps did not use TSN (beside Sport Magazine Also), I believe players that got the All Star Banner or card were actually the starting players on the previous years all-star game - that seemed to be the case into the early 1980s but not sure if that is what Topps based it on later.

But I think I am going to buy this issue.
Old Cards said…
Nice to be in demand for articles. Compliments to your writing. The All-Star cards are one of my favorite subjects and I have enjoyed all of your blog articles on the subject. The 83 set is nice, but not one of my favorites. I think because I liked the 63 set so much and 83 doesn't measure up to it in my estimation.
1984 Tigers said…
John,

A 2 year subscription to beckett vintage isn't too pricy and the articles are all incredible. Not just our nite owl friend. I'm going to keep subscribing.

Paul t
Congrats on another article!
Jimetal7212 said…
Seems like yesterday you were celebrating your 1st article. Congrats and here's to many more.
Brett Alan said…
Not surprising that no pitcher is among the All-Star leaders given the vagaries of how the starters in the game are determined. Did you find what pitcher has the most All-Star cards?
night owl said…
Yes, Roger Clemens has the most with five.
Michael Ott said…
Congrats!
Going to head out and buy my copy. I was a bit surprised Yaz (18x AS) didn't make the top 10.
Pretty sure I'll grab my copy from the June Jax show. Congrats again. Keep doin it!
Matt said…
I find it incredible that Aaron, who made 25 total All-Star games, only has 8 cards.
night owl said…
Re: Yaz and Aaron and others, Topps didn't have All-Star cards between 1963-67 and 1971-73, which affected some stars' totals. ... Also, All-Star cards weren't always based on who started in the All-Star Game.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Congrats on the article. Definitely feels like Topps has been moving All Stars into Update (and now as inserts in Update) so that they reflect a bit of the current year in that set. I'm not entirely against this though I do wish Topps would use a special design.
Nick said…
Congrats on another Beckett article! I would've gone through a whole lot of wrong guesses before I landed on Carew having the most all-star cards. Kinda surprised Brooks Robinson only had seven.
Fuji said…
Congratulations on another published Beckett article! That's really cool that Carew holds the title since he was one of those guys I rooted for as a kid. I was thinking it was Mays or Aaron, but I didn't take the time to consider that Topps didn't start the AS cards until 1958. Even with that starting point, it's kind of surprising that Aaron only had 8 AS cards from 1958 until the mid 70's. I'm hoping to hit B&N to grab this issue before they sell out.
Jon said…
Congratulations on getting even more exposure! I wonder if any other non-athlete has ever appeared in more than two articles in the magazine before? Who knows, you might own a record now :)
night owl said…
Nah, there are writers (Dave Ivey, Anson Whaley are two) that are in practically every issue of Vintage Collector. I show up a couple times a year.
Jafronius said…
Belated congrats on another published article!