Skip to main content

Era of good feeling

 
Everyone seems to love Buffalo these days, at least from a football perspective (unless you're a weird Jets, Dolphins or Patriots fan).

I'm not used to it, most long-time Bills fans aren't. Just about all of my life, the Bills have been ridiculed for either being lousy, losing four straight Super Bowls or just playing in a location that gets a crazy amount of snow.

"None of those people ever lived in Buffalo," I'd tell myself.
 
But now that doesn't matter, even people who never set foot in that city are riveted by Josh Allen and the Bills and celebrating the team. Even if I don't get some aspects of the current fan base -- the "Bills mafia" was never a thing back in the '80s and '90s and -- I smile inside when my city, the one I wish I could live in again, is praised. It's all over all the social medias, and it feels good to root for a team so loved, to be in this very odd era of good feeling, after having to explain myself for decades.
 
The Bills' victory over the Dolphins last night was a hoot, even if I was working the entire time and only got to see highlights. And I apparently can't get enough of the attention because I find myself wishing that other Buffalo team could get some accolades for themselves, because I am a Sabres fan, too.
 

With the exception of the Dominik Hasek years in the late 1990s, the Sabres haven't been consistently stellar since the mid-to-late 1970s and early 1980s. They haven't been to the playoffs in 12 years and are sitting in fifth place right now.
 
There are signs that they're moving up. They've scored some eye-popping wins among all the losses this season, the most recent was landing six goals on the hated L.A. Kings (I dislike even more hockey teams than I do baseball or football teams) in the third period to win 6-0.
 
This explains why I've confined my Sabres card-collecting to cards of vintage years, including the 1980s, as well as current cards. I need to have an attachment for non-baseball cards and winning teams with names I know is a good way to get me to notice.
 
Recently Bob of the best bubble sent me a package heavy on Sabres cards, almost all from the good ol' days. Some of them I owned but a lot I didn't. Let's see 'em (well, you did see two of the 1981-82 ones already).
 

Here is the hockey set that I adore. It's the first one I bought (one pack, to be specific). Love that position designation in the form of a flying hockey puck. One thing I probably didn't notice going through that pack back in 1975 or 1976 is how line-em-up-and-shoot the photos are. Goodness, can you imagine any card company doing something like this now?
 
 

Here are some of your 1977-78 Sabres. I posted about the Jim Schoenfeld card previously, but the rest are new to me I think. 
 
 

Moving on to a bunch of 1978-79 Sabres. They were finishing first or second regularly during this time. My wife, growing up in Buffalo, remembers these teams well, but I didn't follow hockey as a youngster so I didn't experience those teams, nor even know what the card sets looked like then. I still get them confused.




I was way too enthralled with the Dodgers at that point to pay attention to anything else and I still am. This explains why Bob threw in a few Dodgers in the package, too. These three were all needs -- that is my first solo Ralph Branca autograph card!
 


Bob even found some 1967 Topps needs! Yay!

A '67 card need filled will also contribute to the era of good feeling!

So, the Bills are now in the playoffs. And I probably don't have to worry about the Dolphins or the Jets beating them. (Hopefully the Patriots, too). There are still teams like the Chiefs and the Eagles ahead, but we must pace ourselves.

As for the Sabres, they're likely a year or two away. As long as they don't do anything stupid, like trade Tage Thompson.

Comments

looks like a great package!
TwinKiller said…
I'm in New England and it was Tom Brady this and Tom Brady that for ever it seems. Now they just were the merch and feel like they don't need to talk about the team.
Nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills!
Jon said…
That Duke Snider is disturbing. It looks like Topps stuck his head on a childs body.
night owl said…
It's an actual photo. Maybe the colorizing makes it look off.

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/duke-snider-of-the-brooklyn-dodgers-poses-for-an-action-news-photo/50948149?phrase=duke snider dodgers&adppopup=true
John Bateman said…
1977-1978 Topps Hockey was I believe the first Hockey set to go vast majority to on ice photos. (1976-1977 Set was about a little less than 50% on ice).

I was trying to think of the Topps Baseball set where the majority of photos was on field action - I think it might not have happened until 1991. I am not sure. This sounds like a JOB (or post) for NIGHT OWL! Unless you already did this post and I missed it.
night owl said…
First thought is 1983. You're right, sounds like a fun project.
Chris said…
I love seeing '70s hockey cards on the blogs. It would be good to see the Sabres break their playoff drought. I laughed out loud at Buffalo scoring six goals against Columbus in the first period a couple weeks ago. Tage Thompson is a beast!
Fuji said…
I'm happy for Bills fans... and considering neither of the teams are likely to reach the playoffs... I'll silently root for them or the Bengals to win their first Super Bowl title.
Matt said…
It's funny - I'll wear my Bills cap down here in Virginia, and I've never had as many strangers strike up conversations about football as I have these past couple of years. Just last night I had someone behind me in the checkout line talk about that snowy game. As for the Sabres, it's been awhile since I've been optimistic about their future. Tage Thompson is a beast!
carlsonjok said…
I was a Bills fan when I followed football. I didn't live in Buffalo, but I wasn't that far away. I still remember my first live Bills game. It was October 16, 1977 and the Bills beat the Atlanta Falcons 3-0. That's right. A field goal to zip.