Skip to main content

Blog says it's OK

 
 
I appreciate all the readers that I have and all the reactions I get on this blog.

It's been more than a "look what I got" blog for many years now, and I'm pretty proud of that. I work kinda hard for this readership and I don't get paid nearly enough for it.
 
But at its core, this blog is, and always has been, for me. It's about what I am interested in, what intrigues me at the time, my opinions and allegiances and disgusts and dismissals. All mine. I won't write it unless there's something about me in it. That sounds super-selfish, but that's blogging! (Or that's card blogging anyway, I suppose there's some "Isn't the Earth Wonderful" blog out there that doesn't reference the writer a single time, I don't know, I'm not going to read anything like that).
 
This blog is about my travels through the hobby and through life, and sometimes I forget that.
 
Sometimes, I will take new cards that have arrived at my door and sort them and file them without a peep about them on this blog. I tell myself "nobody wants to read about these," or "nobody wants to read about these again" or "I'm too busy to make these sound interesting to anyone but me."
 
That's not the way to think. I should know better. The blog says, "fuck anyone else, this blog is about YOU. Do you like them? Put them on ME. What else are you going to do, show them to your family?!?!?"
 
Once again, blog is right if a bit off-color. I need to listen to blog more.
 
So these are some cards I've purchased recently and I don't care if you find them boring. I don't. And blog says that's all that matters. Get ready to see some former Dodgers.
 

I received these from @gregjbarry, a collector on Twitter. Marc of Remember the Astrodome connected me with him. These are my first looks at 2022 Stadium Club and they're all parallels!
 
I'll get the actual base Dodgers at some point but this is enough for me to notice what others said, that '22 SC looks similar to 2010 Upper Deck, especially when there is green at the bottom of the photo.



Some older cards from another Twitter seller, @DocsSportsCard1, who I've mentioned several times on the blog already.

I keep going back to him because I always see stuff I like, even though the competition is sometimes intense for the cards. The two '86 Fleer cards get me closer to finishing that set, which I better get done in 2023 or I will never get it done. I grabbed the '87 Fleer Rose as insurance for when I'm chasing that set.

Both of the pictures I've shown here I've already displayed on Twitter, since Twitter is where I got them. But blog is mad that this wasn't the first place that these appeared and I get it. The blog should be No. 1 always, not that other social media site that could have its lights turned off any day.

But I have a picture of another purchase I saved just for here. It was my most recent COMC order. ... I know, I know, how could I file all those cards without showing them here? I messed up.


This is the picture I showed on Twitter. It's concise, but doesn't tell the whole story. That's a blog over a tweet in a single sentence. A blog tells the whole story.

The whole story:


From vintage Wacky Packages, to probably the last Cody Bellinger power purchase I'll ever make, to even more Kershaw cards, that is everything in its glory.

This is what a blog is for, in fact blog thinks I haven't gone far enough. It prefers the card-by-card, scan-by-scan treatment with lengthy commentary on each of them.
 
But let's face it, blog, this isn't 2009 and it hasn't been for awhile. In the last year alone, I've been asked to join Instagram, Discord (three different times), TikTok and a couple other sites that were so new to me I've already forgotten their names. Then there are those who want me to get more invested in TCDB and give Facebook's trading card pages a try.

There is a lot of competition, blog. And the blog audience has been fractured by too many sites and conflicting interests. But don't worry, you will always be No. 1.
 
It's always been you, blog. And you've always been me.

Comments

Angus said…
I'm happy that your blog helped me make a friend!

I'm more than happy seeing the cards you buy that make you happy.
Brett Alan said…
This is my first sight of this year's Stadium Club, too! Been to two shows this month, but no one had any new stuff in dime boxes, or even pretty much at any price other than unopened and expensive.
Yes, blog = #1. I just started opening the TSC I got from my other daughter. Should finish opening them tonight, and where else better than to blog about them. Blog is right.
madding said…
When I was a kid, I was fascinated by the Boggs and "Hero" card because it made me think George Brett was some sort of fraud because of the scare quotes. Also, my dad's Yankee fandom and the pine tar incident certainly helped.
Your blog will always be the first place I go to. I do like TCDb for the organization part of things, but your awesome posts and articles inspired me to start one up for something new heading into 2023!
Grant said…
I do appreciate your blog quite a bit. In fact, I'm considering making my own as I open stuff at least once a week. You're an inspiration and I'm not messing with Tik Tok or Twitter.
Jon said…
I don't show everything anymore either, for many of the same reasons that you mentioned (although no one's been asking me to join anything else). I should get back to showing more though, of only because all of the other sites that you mentioned do very little for me, and blogs seem to be the only place where I've been able to find people with some similar interests.
Benjamin said…
That was strangely beautiful. I think those last couple of sentences should be set to music.

Please, post your findings. It's what makes this blog cool, among many other reasons.