Skip to main content

A good, old-fashioned Christmas storm

 
Merry Dr. Christmas Jones, everyone!
 
I am writing this post in advance, mostly because I'm not sure if there is going to be any power on Christmas Eve, which is when I traditionally write this. Also, the Bills are on tomorrow afternoon ... um, if there's power. 
 
The storm has hit, it's a whiteout as I write this late Friday afternoon. We're supposed to get like four feet by the end of Monday. That will be the second four-plus-feet storm of the winter already and I'm ready to move out of this stupid place. It only took me 30-plus years.
 
But let's not diminish the Christmas spirit! I've come here to show cards from others full of Christmas cheer! They sent these cards early enough that they not only showed up in time for Christmas but they arrived before the travel ban and mailmen started being arrested for walking on the streets (this didn't really happen -- I don't think -- I can't even see out my windows). 

One person was so on top of things that he gave me my Christmas gift earlier this month.


Inside this Peanuts Christmas card was something distinctly Canadian and therefore distinctly Angus, as he's the only Canadian card collector I've met in person.


Yes, Panini stickers, straight from the overproduction era! But that is not nearly all.



Panini -- No This Is Not O-Pee-Chee -- Canadian stickers! All the Dodgers!

Angus told me months ago that he had landed a bunch of these and then waited until we met to hand them off. I believe he's sent other stickers to other team collectors as well. Quite embarrassingly, this is something I had no idea existed until Angus told me about them. I'm such a self-centered American.



Max, from Starting Nine, is always good for a Christmas greeting. He also sends along Christmas wishes via email and I really enjoy that. He's a good egg, just like Angus, and I don't know what I'm doing hanging around all these Mets fans.

The highlight of this envelope is the Kershaw Utz card. I've come down from the Utz Panic of a few years ago when I was actually wandering store aisles searching for a potato chip brand I had never purchased in my life -- I don't even like potato chips that much -- to find a card supposedly protected from all that grease (how did they package those anyway, I never found one advertising cards).

The Scherzer All-Star card is interesting, too, because everyone knows Max Scherzer never pitched in an All-Star Game with the Dodgers, but Topps could do stuff like this because in 1987 Topps was just awarding All-Star cards willy-nilly according to their own special All-Star rules that had nothing to do with the game being played.

Also, I'm dying to know where they shot that Brett Butler photo.



Yes, it's now my turn to show off my Altered 1991 Fleer card from Gavin of Baseball Card Breakdown.

If you read his post (go read it), it documents how he wanted to produce a kinder, gentler version of the glaring 1991 Fleer set through some sort of chemical process.

Then he sent them out to various collectors but not before dressing them up in a Christmas theme (don't worry, it was all drawn on penny sleeves). I don't know what Santa Carter is looking up at -- did the reindeer take off without him?


Once out of the penny sleeve, you can see that the card is a pleasant off-white color. My brain did not react well to this at first, panicking that I had been sent some sort of variation or rarity from 1991 Fleer and, good gracious, how many of THOSE Dodgers do I have to collect from that infernal set???



Here you see the massive difference between the two cards -- and, yes, I will be bindering the cream-colored Carter in my Dodgers binders in the '91 Fleer category.

Gavin apologized for not being able to create one of these cards for Hershiser or Valenzuela, but I'm happy with Carter. There aren't enough Gary Carter Dodger cards anyway.



The most recent Holiday Greetings package that I'm showing today appeared a mere hour or so before the annoying rain turned into very angry, angry snow.

It was from Marc of Remember The Astrodome, who has been back to posting this holiday season!

Marc thanked me for the 1975 Topps I've been sending him and then hit me with a bunch of modern Dodgers. A nice selection of Kershaws and also lots of new-to-me cards from this year. 



So awesome. My first 2022 Holiday Dodgers -- festive! -- and also my first look at Heritage High Numbers from this year.



Well look at that, an actual Joey Gallo Dodger card. I didn't know that kind of thing existed.
 
 
All right, that's all for this year's Christmas post. I probably won't post again until the 26th.
 
I don't know if I'll get any cards for Christmas this year. I have a suspicion I might get a blaster of something. But it doesn't matter if I don't because there was another Christmas box on my porch today that was so impressive, I'm going to have to wait until after the holiday to go through it. You have to see it.

I hope everyone has a pleasant time and that there is not too much weather where you are. And if you're missing some weather, find your way up here. We have plenty of extra to go around.


She's going to have to dress warmer.

Comments

I'm sorry to hear that you're getting the weather we have just gotten hammered with in the Midwest. The cold has been bitter, but we luckily avoided the massive lake effect snow that you'll likely get hit with -- now hopefully you keep power!

If only the 1991 Fleer had been that nice off white instead of canary yellow, I might have been able to stomach completing that set. Still don't know why Fleer decided to do that godawful color for that border in '91...
steelehere said…
As a doxie owner and Dodger fan, I’m going to have to get that Brett Butler card.
Nick said…
We got a storm here last night - not a ton of snow, but the most awful wind I've seen in a long time. Wind chills deep into the negatives. Didn't make driving to work a whole lot of fun.

I was wondering when I was gonna see my first Gallo Dodger card, and you just answered that question. Didn't even know Bowman Platinum was out this year.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Yeah I'm gonna have to try bleaching some 1991 Fleer once we get some sun again.
kcjays said…
Merry Christmas! 🎄
Hopefully you have power and get to watch the Bills game.
I like the off-white border. The yellow is overpowering, but not as bad as the “pumpkin” 2002 Topps.
Thanks for your blog. I really enjoy reading it.
Angus said…
Hello, Dr. Jones.

You've got me beat in the snow for the storm, but I don't like getting snow, then rain, turning into freezing rain, and then freezing weather. Might make driving tomorrow interesting.
Billy Kingsley said…
On the other end of the state we got lots of wind and very heavy rain which led to sone flooding, but only snow flurries. The precip ended before the temp plummeted. This is the highest I've seen the Hudson River not caused by a hurricane in my life...the parks and train stations are under water.
Anonymous said…
It would be the 1st 4 foot snow you've had this winter since the other occurred in the fall.
carlsonjok said…
I mistakenly read the opening line as "Merry Christmas, Dr. Jones" and I heard it in the voice of an Indiana Jones movie villain. My mind can be a weird place.

Anyways, have a very Merry Christmas.
Fuji said…
A. The popping out of the chimney is my favorite Gavin custom so far.

B. As much as I enjoy snowboarding and playing in the snow... four feet within a few days is a bit excessive. Hope you and your family stay warm and safe.
Jon said…
Yeah, you should move, that's way too much snow! Despite what history says, humans aren't supposed to live like that :)
gogosox60 said…
That's why I left Chicago over 30 years ago! Your baseball cards will love living in Tucson!!!




Merry Christmas!!



GO BEARS!!!!
Grant said…
Polar vortex here in MN, but we'll be fine. I love those Milk Bone cards as I'm a huge dog lover. Merry Christmas, GG! Stay warm!
John Bateman said…
Denise Richards in Starship Troppers was about as awesome a women could be in a film. She wasn't bad in the Bond movie.

1991 Fleer should have been white border set - that Carter looks great.

2022 design is starting to grow on me, one of the best in years - That Blue Border Jansen looks great.
Only lots of rain and wind over this way. Merry Christmas!
Chris said…
I got one of those Panini Canada stickers in a repack (Ken Caminiti) the set looked familiar to me, but I'm not sure how. Just that standard early '90s jagged line design I guess?

It seems like the Red Sox are building their team from discarded Dodgers. Hope Jansen and Turner have something left in the tank. I wouldn't be surprised if Muncy is next..

Merry Christmas Greg. Thanks for all you do on the blogs. Your research and knowledge is an inspiration. Enjoy the holidays!
BaseSetCalling said…
Merry Christmas!

For today's holiday I hooked up my laptop to the ridiculously better big ole big screen 21st Century TEEVEE to play a few movies for family. But for a test webpage, I selected this one to look at baseball cards in triple size glory - and after new batteries in the remote and stuck menus and perhaps a four letter word or two along the way, those baseball cards look fantastic! Thank you!

Over on the other end of the Great Lakes we only got 2 feet of snow so I feel minorly bad now though.

But not too bad, cuz this page is still here. See you all soon!