Skip to main content

As complete as it'll get

 
It's getting down to the last few days of 2022. I've exhausted just about every card anniversary that has occurred in the past year.

But one thing I've never done is acknowledge my complete 1962 Topps Dodgers team set. It's still the 60th anniversary of the original wood-bordered set for another 12 days.

In fact, I don't even recall what the last card was that completed my team set for '62. I went back through the blog to see if I could pin down that triumphant day, because this blog is always about celebrating my card milestones. Still, I couldn't find it.

Then I realized why I couldn't. It's because I haven't completed it. I may never complete it. Thanks to this guy:


Bob Uecker is on one of those rookie prospects cards with Dodgers prospect Doug Camilli. I'm just not willing to pay 60 bucks or so for a tiny floating head, I don't care if Ueck did get me through a couple lonely Saturday nights watching Mr. Belvedere.

So, this team set is as complete as it's going to get. And that's more than I can say for that other "2" set that is celebrating a milestone as well this year -- 1952 Topps. I will not finish that particular Dodgers team set unless I find myself on a two-week run as a  Jeopardy contestant.
 
That's why my '62 feat should be celebrated, so here are all the 1962 Topps Dodgers in my collection, Joy Of A Team Set style:
 
 



Favorite cards runners-up: 5. Duke Snider; 4. Jim Gilliam; 3. Larry Sherry; 2. Don Drysdale.

Notable variations: The green-tint varieties. The most recent '62 Dodger card I picked up was the Lee Walls green-tint card, which is one of those versions that fantastically shows a different picture. Wally Moon is another example of that and it still boggles my mind that there are two different Moon cards with the same card number on a set from 60 years ago. I mean that's 21st century stuff!
 
Players I've talked to: I wish.
 
Players for whom I have autographed cards: Koufax, Podres, Moon and Snider, including a couple answered TTM tries. ... OK, that makes me feel better.

Another card that makes this set feel like it's not complete:


The never-issued 1962 Maury Wills card showed up once in the 1970s and twice in the 1980s yet still hasn't become a card itself. I'll bet that will be coming some day. This particular card showcases both wood-bordered sets on one card, which automatically makes it the best card in that overproduced '87 set.

Card I should upgrade: The Frank Howard card with the penned "140" written in the sky. I've just never gotten around to fixing Frank. The '62s are one of those sets known for showing edge wear but that's never bothered me with this set.

Card that doesn't belong: The Babe Ruth coaching card is fun but the Brooklyn Dodgers did not exist in 1962.

Happy Hanukkah!: On the first day of Hanukkah a special greeting to the '62 Dodgers' Jewish ballplayers, which would be Sandy Koufax, of course, as well as brothers Larry Sherry and Norm Sherry.

Another reason why this set is important to me right now: I am finally wrapping up "The Last Innocents" by Michael Leahy. The book about the 1960s Dodgers has taken me 2 to 3 years to read because I just don't read books like I did before. But finally, this week, I'll read the final page and it's been great getting to know more about Wills, Koufax, Drysdale, Tommy and Willie Davis, John Roseboro and Ron Fairly, as well as players who weren't in the '62 set but prominently mentioned, such as Wes Parker, Jeff Torborg, Lou Johnson, Dick Tracewski and others.

Favorite card in the set:


Obviously it's the Walt Alston card, so good I have three of them!

Someday I think I will try to pick up that Camilli-Uecker card and then maybe I can have a real '62 Topps team set celebration. But this works for now.

And that'll do it for anniversary posts for this year. Another year is on the way and, yes, please, let's talk about 1953, 1963, 1973 and 1983 Topps again and celebrate all those "8" anniversaries, too. Especially, 1988 Topps.

I better damn well see 1988 Topps tributes after what I went through in 2022.

Comments

bryan was here said…
I'm with you on the '88 tributes. If Topps releases any more '87 tributes I'll scream.

Funny how they gave Lee Walls two different pictures that look almost similar. Why bother?
Jimetal7212 said…
I've been working on 62 myself and got my 1st Rookie Parade card finally this past weekend. This set and 63, I'm with you, some edge wear doesn't bother me as it may with other years.
Grant said…
Those are great cards, my friend, but let's hold our horses. You have completed a team set or you haven't. Somebody trade this man a Uecker RC!
Old Cards said…
Great set, but those last 4 empty pockets are working on my OCD. Noticed you have 3 Alston's, but only 1 is showing. Assuming the other 2 are in the same pocket. Wouldn't you want to display all 3 using 2 more pockets and then fill the other 2 with the Uecker card when you get it and then maybe the 87 Wills card in the last pocket?
I struggle trying to see the green tint variations. I'm sure my set build is loaded with them, but I'll never know.
John Bateman said…
Never saw the Ron Fairly card before, based on the scan it almost looks 3-d-ish.
night owl said…
@Old Cards ~

I kept it to one card per for this display but I have several dupes for the '62 Dodgers that in my binders are included. So the Alstons are not all in one pocket, they're side-by-side-by-side. Putting the Wills card with the '62s, now THAT would set off my OCD.
Nick said…
Lately I've been discovering a fair amount of great '62s that I'd somehow overlooked all these years - and now I can add Ron Fairly to that list. The packed house in the stands (spring training?) makes for a terrific backdrop. Though I'd still definitely agree that Walter Alston is the best '62 Topps Dodger.
carlsonjok said…
I just looked up sold prices on eBay for that Uecker card. OMG. I hate woodgrain sets with a passion. But, even if I didn't, that Uecker card would be reason enough to never build that set.
Charlie said…
man those look great
Kirk said…
That is a cool Alston card. Tommy Davis is a neat card as well.
Bo said…
Echoing Johnny, I've never been able to tell if my '62s are green variations or not.
Nick Vossbrink said…
That Camilli is the one Topps Flagship card missing from my Stanford PC (well, until the 2023s come out) and, like you, I'm resigned to never getting it. As cool as Uecker is he's not $100+ dollars cool.

Also, for everyone in the comments here who can't tell the difference between the green tints and non-greens. This flickr page is great but also green tints are printed so badly the only reason to get one is if it's a clearly different (and in the case of Moon, better) photo or if you're doing a metacard collection like me and think having a Dallas or Pumpsie Greentint is funny.
Fuji said…
I'd love to own the Uecker rookie one day, but like you... no way I'd pay $60 for it. Wait. I just checked ebay... there are current auctions with bids ranging from $165 to $231 for raw copies of this card. That's insane! Anyways... this is one of those cards I hope to stumble across at the flea market in a dollar bin. While I'm dreaming... I'd also love to pick up both of those Moons. There's gotta be an interesting story behind them.
GCA said…
The variations have been fairly (pardon the pun) easy, but I might have just got lucky with finding a dealer that had them cheap. I haven't dived into this set to know the star prices well, but Uecker is the last card I need for '64 as well. And that one is all over the place as far as prices...
gcrl said…
i am so glad i picked up a uecker/camilli rookie several years ago. i am pretty sure my 1963 mcmullen/rose card is a reprint but i consider that set complete regardless.

hope you find the uecker in the cheap seats/boxes someday!