Skip to main content

Since voting's the thing to do ...

 
 
Hey, it's voting day. Did you know? Have you been nagged enough?

This is the day when the standard lecturing format of Facebook expands to all forms of social media. Thank goodness it's just one day.

The double-whammy for me is that the day before everyone was talking about voting of a different kind, in this case who deserves to go into the Baseball Hall of Fame from the announced candidates for the Contemporary Era. But that wasn't all, we had to whine about who wasn't included, too.

Some fans are clearly addicted to this talk and thrilled by it. It bores me stupid. It's a ploy by the Hall to keep it in the conversation, and while fans shake their fists at the writers and the establishment, the HOF laps it up. The Hall's on everyone's lips again.

I'm past the point of caring about the players up for election. Just about everyone who I truly care about -- players from my childhood or earlier -- is either in the Hall or probably has been bypassed forever. Most of the current candidates don't mean much to me.

These are the players from the Contemporary Era up for vote:

Albert Belle, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens, Don Mattingly, Fred McGriff, Dale Murphy, Rafael Palmeiro and Curt Schilling.

This is what I think about those candidates: 

Put them all in. Sure, they were each great for an extended period. Nothing there that will keep me up at night.

Another thing that I think:

What an odious group of selections. Yuck. Outside of McGriff, Mattingly and Murphy, everyone has had well-documented issues. I sometimes feel sorry for fans who grew up with these guys, so many character flaws. Sure, that stuff was more hidden with the players I grew up watching, but that doesn't keep me from despising a few above and being very grateful they never played for my team (None did).

But since this is the day to vote, I'll go through a little exercise for my personal amusement, basically:

What if I could vote only 7 players in?





What if I could vote only 6 players in?

 


 
What if I could vote only 5 players in?


What if I could vote only 4 in?


 
 
What if I could vote only 3 in?
 
 


What if I could vote only 2 in?



What if I could vote only 1 in?


There you are.

But wait, you're saying, what about my REASONS???

Sorry, that's the part that bores me. Get all excited in the comments. Spike your blood pressure, get an ulcer. I don't care. I've already said my thoughts: they should all be in. It's a Hall of baseball greatness, that's all it should be.
 
Don't fall into the trap.

Comments

Brett Alan said…
Clemens and Bonds belong in. That Keith Hernandez and Lou Whitaker are not on the ballot is insane.

Old Cards said…
Not sure what defines the Contemporary Era, but I would like to see Rose in the HOF.
Matt said…
I'd be genuinely surprised if any of them got the necessary number of votes this go around
Grant said…
Crime Dog is overdue. The rest wouldn't get my vote.
Fuji said…
I'd start with Bonds and Clemens, then think about the rest later.
John Sharp said…
Murphy, Mattingly, McGriff. Thats ot, that's my list.

Good Job! 👍
Mike Matson said…
I'd like to see McGriff.. But I don't know..
Bonds, Clemens, Murphy, and maybe Mattingly..

I did not vote today, since we just had our municipal elections a couple weeks ago. It'll be a couple years before we have to worry about Provincial or Federal, unless the Conservative Party decide to throw us into an election nobody wants..
Benjamin said…
Justice for Todd Van Poppel!
Dave said…
I saw Barry Bonds play six years in Pittsburgh. I knew even in 1992 that I was watching a hall of famer.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Should be Bonds and Clemens. My guess is that it'll be no one or McGriff. Absolutely brutal to see Whitaker, Hernandez, and Lofton not even get mentioned.
It's endless and nauseating, grown men requiring some phone call for validation of a career they had little control of, put me in coach please. Sorry i'll finish this later the shipping HOF is on the phone wanting to ask me about my 40 years.....Bring roids back so guys can see the ball better and hit me a 600 foot HR