Skip to main content

I'm too old for this $#!&

 
Last night I finally put together the list of non-baseball players who have a card in this year's Allen & Ginter set, an annual tradition that I update on the sidebar every year.

I'll get to that sidebar list in a day or two, but the cold, hard truth is sitting in front of me in ink and paper. (EDIT: The 2022 list is now added!)

Let's get the good part out of the way first. There are 48 cards of non-baseball players in the 2022 A&G set. That is the most in an Allen & Ginter set since 2013 when there was also 48. If you toss out "Places or Things" cards that appeared in past A&G sets (there are none of those in this year's set for the third year in a row), the 2022 set has the most non-baseball people of any A&G set ever!

That's cool for those of us who buy A&G for more than the ballplayers.

Now, the not-so-cool part is what I've been complaining about for A&G for at least the last seven years: the non-baseball players in the set are the same old cards that make it look like Topps cut a deal with some people to promote them.

This year's A&G theme seems to be Curlers, Fitness Instructors and Musicians You've Never Heard Of. Oh, and family is a big deal as there are three pairs of relatives in the set, each with their own card, two brother teams and a father-and-son team.

There are also the comedians I don't know and not one, or two, but three cards of former or current members of the '90s rap band Cypress Hill.

Danny Glover has a card in the set, too, which works because I'm too old for this shit.

I don't know why I'm still listing the non-baseball players as the very thing that has excited me in the past about A&G hardly excites me at all. It mostly annoys me.

Ten years ago, this was the non-baseball player list:

Erin Andrews
Jerry Bailey
Guy Bluford
Keegan Bradley
James Brown (announcer)
Michael Buffer
Swin Cash
Don Denkinger
Annie Duke
Fatal1ty (Jonathan Wendel)
Roger Federer
Rulon Gardner
Greg Gumbel
Hank Haney
Kirk Herbstreit
Marty Hogan
Bob Hurley Sr.
Bela Karolyi
Jackie Joyner-Kersee
Bobby Knight
Lefty Kreh
Meadowlark Lemon
Ewa Mataya
Colin Montgomerie
Curly Neal
Arnold Palmer
Ara Parseghian
Richard Petty
Phil Pfister
Michael Phelps
Al Unser Sr.
Kate Upton
Dale Webster

Now, here are the cards in 2022 A&G that can match up to the name-recognition of those 2012 subjects (which, by the way, I called a "down year" then):
 
Landon Donovan
Joe West
Martin Sheen
Bradley Beal
Drew Rosenhaus
Rachel Balkovec
Danny Glover
Charlie Sheen
Michelle Wie West
 
Not great, Bob.
 
Still, there is still a shred of charm left in A&G. If I can find one card that interests me in the set then I guess it's still worth issuing each year (for that and the inserts, which are still great).
 

This year, this is that card. As soon as I saw she was in the set, I found a shiny foil version and grabbed it.
 
I've known about Kate Brownell since before I had a blog, heck before I was really back into collecting. She grew up in a small Western New York town called Oakfield, and she made the national news in 2005 as an 11-year-old, playing as the only girl on an all-boys Little League team.
 
In a game on May 14, 2005, Brownell struck out every batter she faced, all 18 of them, for a perfect game. The Batavia Daily News, a sister paper for the newspaper that I work for, broke the story. It was then picked up nationally. Brownell became a celebrity, had a conversation with then President Bush and became the youngest person to be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame.


She threw out the first pitch at Dodgers game at Dodger Stadium. Her Little League team was called the Dodgers.

When she grew older, she took up softball and played four years for my alma mater, Buffalo State College, playing infield and catcher.


So, those are her pseudo connections with me, both the Dodgers and Buffalo State. It's also cool that she was a communications major there, just like me, even if her senior year was 30 years after I first stepped on campus.

Brownell had a difficult road growing up with family turmoil. Her dad was in a bad accident when she was in college. When she graduated, she didn't know what she wanted to do for a career. She got into coaching softball at Amherst College and that peaked her interest in becoming a personal trainer.

She now runs her own fitness company in Connecticut and I just took a look at a couple of her online workouts and yikes.


It's pretty cool when you discover someone in A&G that you know but probably a lot of other people don't. I guess that's one reason to put so-called "minor celebrities" in the set so people can learn their stories. I just wish Topps would mix it up more with some more notables and historical figures like they did not all that many years ago.
 


The back of Brownell's card hardly does her justice (also the word "for" is missing after the word "playing"). Good thing you have me here to relay a little more information!

Also, for those of you who don't care anything about A&G except for the ballplayers, I went through and found the retired guys in this year's set. Here they are:

Ernie Banks
Reggie Jackson
Frank Thomas
Rickey Henderson
George Brett
Ivan Rodriguez
Pedro Martinez
Mariano Rivera
Larry Walker
Lou Gehrig
Thurman Munson
Johnny Bench
Ken Griffey Jr.
Greg Maddux
Mike Schmidt
Babe Ruth
Eddie Murray
Hank Aaron
Todd Helton
Roberto Clemente
Al Kaline
Harmon Killebrew
Adrian Beltre
Willie Stargell
Willie Mays
Ichiro Suzuki
Cal Ripken Jr.
Ryne Sandberg
Buster Posey
Randy Johnson
Hank Greenberg
David Ortiz
Robin Yount
Nolan Ryan
Kirby Puckett
Ted Williams
Steve Carlton
Mark McGwire
Roger Clemens
Alex Rodriguez
Lou Brock
Jackie Robinson
Mel Ott
Vladimir Guerrero
Yogi Berra
Andre Dawson
Roy Campanella
Tom Seaver
Dick Allen
Willie McCovey
Barry Larkin
Dave Winfield
Paul Molitor
Tony Gwynn
Brooks Robinson
Joe Morgan
Hideki Matsui
Frank Robinson
Carl Yastrzemski
Rod Carew
Derek Jeter
Mike Piazza
Sammy Sosa
Chipper Jones
Duke Snider
Joe Mauer
Tony Oliva
Amos Otis (!!!)
Ron Santo
Bill Mazeroski
Paul Konerko
Roger Maris
Bob Feller
Tom Glavine
Monte Irvin
Larry Doby
Honus Wagner
Tim McCarver
Whitey Herzog
Darryl Strawberry
Bert Blyleven
Jason Varitek
John Mayberry
Jack Morris
Dave Concepcion
Jim Kaat
Sal Bando
Rogers Hornsby
Scott Podsednik
Geoff Jenkins
Steve Garvey
Juan Gonzalez
Manny Ramirez
Joe Carter
Luis Gonzalez
Dale Murphy
Lou Piniella
Torii Hunter
Rick Sutcliffe
 
That's a lot!
 
It was looking like the same-old, same-old until I got to Amos Otis. Amos Otis!!! WOW. Somebody has finally heard my complaint about Topps ignoring '70s stars??? There's a John Mayberry card, too, and when you get into the SPs, there's Dave Concepcion and Steve Garvey and Lou Piniella. Also, very weirdly, there are cards of Geoff Jenkins and Scott Podsednik.
 
None of this is enough for me to try to collect the set, but I think besides the Dodgers and the Kate Brownell card, I found a couple others I might need to add.
 
Maybe I'm not too old ... yet.

Comments

gogosox60 said…
Could you imagine the fun if they issued a card for FTX founder?? I mean he spent millions to MLB to tag up every umpire shirt. Incredible
night owl said…
FTX makes an appearance on the Joe West card in A&G.
John Sharp said…
A Kate Upton card is always a good thing, as is another card of Mr. 🐅 Tiger!
I'll get my Braves, and then pick any PC guys from the cheap boxes.
Matt said…
My favorite part every year for Ginter is non sport. I try to chase all of the base cards i can and inserts. But my main chase is the base. Hopefully i can get them all. There are a few that interest me.
Nick Vossbrink said…
I have to say that every time I see Joe West listed as "non-baseball" on the CL I smile a bit. Gonna have to grab he Michelle Wie West though for my PC.
Billy Kingsley said…
I took a look at the list...not a lot that interests me this year..the two Osbournes listed, are they the Brothers Osborne? Country music duo. If so then I will need to get them at some point. I like their sound but don't know all that much about them, like their first names even. I've got too much sports, automotive and general history things rattling around in my brain, can't really fit in music too, haha.
Fuji said…
A. I looked up Brownell after I saw your comment on Nachos' post. Striking out every batter is a pretty cool feat.

B. I'm more excited about the retired stars on this year's checklist than I am about the non-baseball subjects. I barely recognize any of them outside of the people on your name-recognition list.
Jon said…
Danny Glover is the only one here that is of any interest to me, and is the only one that I would've wanted... that is until I saw the photo that they used.