Skip to main content

Oddities

 
I spend a lot of time on this blog pointing out what I find odd about cards or in life.

But if I'm keeping it real, I'm not so normal myself.

Other people would think me odd and probably do. I'm not social, I don't engage in the mindless pleasantries that were determined ages ago (probably by extroverts) as signs of being a well-adjusted and all-around groovy guy. Most of my neighbors and co-workers know little about me. I prefer it that way, but they likely think it's odd.

I drive the speed limit, or slightly above. The countless drivers who whiz past me think that's odd, maybe even infuriating. I like anchovies, coconut and blue cheese. I've known people who think that's odd.
 
I have odd tastes in music. Four of my all-time favorite female singers are: Bjork, Kate Bush, Siouxsie Sioux and Fiona Apple. Their music has been called odd. They have been called odd. What can I say? I like odd.

I like being in the house alone. This would terrify half the population. They think it's odd. I love it.

Then there's my hobby. Many, many folks think it's odd. It's so odd that I don't publicize it in real life. Some people know. Close family members know. Co-workers who know the sports world know. My mail carrier likely suspects something. But that's it. There's no point in explaining it to everyone. They'd say it's odd.
 
Some of the cards I like would be considered odd by certain collectors.
 

These are so odd that they are generally known as "oddballs," cards that did not conform to the regulation format of being issued 2 1/2-by-3 1/2 and in packs, without being cut off a box or associated with a food product or hardware store or gas station.

Hostess cards -- these four and the one at the top of the post I received from Mark Hoyle -- are so odd that no one card is the same size as the next. As I've mentioned before, they are trimmed with scissors, a practice that would be both odd and horrifying for any number of "regular" cards.

The cards are subject to stains (see the Tenace card again) and in an odd break from my usual habit of banning cards with stains, I accept them (but probably will look to upgrade).

Mark sent me the Willie Montanez 1975 Hostess card as a throw-in because it was in such ragged shape, wrinkled and with a top corner torn. In another odd break from tradition, I don't mind it. Sure, I could upgrade, but I'm not in a yank about it as I might be with a Topps card.
 
Oh, and some sellers would consider it odd behavior for someone selling cards to throw one in for free.
 


I received these two cards from Steven of the baseballcardstore.ca. They arrived unannounced and were completely free. This is odd, I think the general public would say, for someone running a business of selling cards to send inventory out for free. I notice and appreciate it. Go find something to buy on the baseballcardstore site now!


Steven sent the two cards in a Christmas card. It wasn't Christmas then. It still isn't. Odd.



I received this card from reader Sam. He noticed that I needed it and now I'm down to just one Dodger card for completing the whole 2022 Archives team set.

This card, and the others in the subset, are modeled after the mid-1950s "Topps Scoop" set, which was a 150-plus card set that pictured various historical moments, including some baseball feats. TCDB lists it as a 1954 set, so I find it odd that various sites call the Archives cards "1955 Topps Scoop" tributes.

This card is pretty cool. It recognizes Chris Taylor's three home runs during Game 5 of the 2021 NLCS against the Braves. Talk about odd, check out some of the expressions on people's faces in the background.

But to return to my traditional schtick of pointing out what's odd about a card, we must turn the card over.


Let's get the Nerding Over Newspapers portion out of the way first.

The headline is ... odd. That spacing between "Chris" and "Taylor." The headline itself is odd, "Chris Taylor Three Homers," it reads like Topps is just listing random words. There's a word missing. Chris Taylor likes three homers? Chris Taylor hates three homers? Chris Taylor eats three homers? Oh, Chris Taylor HITS three homers! Well, you have enough space left over, squeeze some of those letters together and get "hits" in there!
 
The other odd part -- aside from the dumb trademark symbol next to "Dodgers," which you would never see in any reputable newspaper's headline anywhere ever -- is that there is no mention at all of the Dodgers' opponent. Nothing on the front, nothing on the back. No "Braves" anywhere. This is very odd. Why would Topps leave out a basic piece of information? Is MLB requiring Topps not to mention losing teams in copy?

That sure would be odd.

As you know, I'm not above accepting oddities like this or plain odd cards like the Hostess, Kellogg's, K-Mart, Kraft and Post cards that I love so much. And I will accept your free cards, no matter how odd the act might be.

Because, life, and everything in it, all the people in it, are odd in some way to somebody.
 
Some other widely accepted things that I find odd include: boat cruises, recreational golfing, gambling on sports, wasting time waiting in line when a new restaurant opens, egg nog, Christmas songs on Nov. 9th, wearing pajamas during the day in public, NFTs, TikTok, I could go on.

But that's because, let's face it, every last one of us is an oddity.

Comments

Yes, yes indeed we are. I love odd balls (when it comes to cards anyways).
gregory said…
I'm going to guess that quite a few comments here will assure you that you're in good company ;-)
Old Cards said…
I don't collect odd ball cards and don't care to, but I do like reading odd card blogs.
bryan was here said…
From one oddball to another, I salute you. Funny how we both find the same things to be odd.
Fuji said…
I'm sure more than a handful of my students think I'm odd, but that's fine with me.

P.S. I like Kate Bush and blue cheese too.
Nick Vossbrink said…
Oh man I really need to hit Hostess cards more.

Also wish those Topps Scoops were more distributed across all the teams. I don't buy Archives but I'd buy those. And you're absolutely right about the headline being spaced wrong. It should use a wider font for one but it also needs to use a non-breaking space between words since computers otherwise do full justification by only adjusting the word spacing.
carlsonjok said…
I have always considered that we are two peas in a pod, given our many similarities.

However,you like anchovies, coconut, and bleu cheese? Weirdo.
Matt said…
Anchovies, coconut, and bleu cheese - liking them individually is not odd. As a combo of flavors, I will judge you weirder than weird...
Jon said…
Is card collecting still considered to be odd? It seems like there's more "collectors" now than there aren't. As for being an oddity, I think most folks are. Like Jim Morrison said, "People are strange".
Bo said…
Other than the music bit, I share almost all these oddities with you. I didn't know that liking being alone in the house was odd.

Per Jon's comment, I think most people, even most sports fans, would still find collecting odd.
Benjamin said…
Most everything we do is probably odd to somebody else. Not least of all collecting anything, from Precious Moments figures to bobbleheads to Funko pops to beanie babies to Pokemon cards to old sports cars to license plates to Elvis albums to every single Phish live show ever to...the list goes on. A collector wants something that means something to him/her, and that's all that matters.

Music is the same; some find early Genesis and King Crimson odd, but thousands of others love them like I do. The Internet is great at being able to find those people who share your interests.

I think there's a difference between being an odd person and a basically normal person with some nonstandard tastes in music, hobbies and food preferences. Some people out there eat anchovies. Some participate in Civil War re-enactments and deliberately dress as the losing side. Some pour lava hot wax on their legs and then yank the hair out. Some chant prayers in unison with other people in a building with stained glass windows.

We all have something. Maybe the oddest people are those who have nothing odd about them at all.
If we're all "odd", maybe it's the rest of the world that really is.
Anonymous said…
Coconut is OK. I like Mounds. Just stay out of the left lane, slowpoke.
Nick said…
"Some other widely accepted things that I find odd include: boat cruises, recreational golfing, gambling on sports, wasting time waiting in line when a new restaurant opens, egg nog, Christmas songs on Nov. 9th, wearing pajamas during the day in public, NFTs, TikTok, I could go on."

I agree with each and every one of these. And I also fully accept that many people consider collecting cards to be "odd." Takes a wonderful mash of odd things to make the world a livable place. (And, of course, oddball baseball cards rule!)
GCA said…
I'm a double oddball if all collectors are oddballs. I don't care about rookies or shiny...

Yeah maybe goose it up to 60 or 65. You're gonna get killed.
night owl said…
I'll be fine. The ones driving 85 in packs, all while right on the vehicle in front of them's bumper, are the ones with a better shot of getting killed.
Derek said…
This was a fun post. Thanks from odd people everywhere!
indeed odd that our goals are not money nor sales 1st orientated but getting more of what collectors need or want into their hands in reasonable means.
Or 2 out of millions isn't going to force us to split our stocks on the NYSE.