Skip to main content

How low can you go?

 
Last night at work I came across a Philadelphia Inquirer story suggesting that it was time to update the stats that are on the backs of Topps baseball cards.

It was the familiar line you've heard before: the statistical categories we grew up with are antiquated, don't properly measure the value of a player, etc. And, although I've come to appreciate some newer stats like OPS, I'll never get a handle on all of them and, more importantly, I'll never care as much as I did with the other stats.

There will always be a part of brain that values batting average and runs batted in because that's what I knew as key measuring stats for the first 25-to-30 years of my fandom. It's difficult to put that aside, and I'm not eager to see a bunch of new stats on the backs of my baseball cards (although the article headline doesn't seem to grasp that Topps has already incorporated a few of the newer stats on its backs).

I don't think collectors these days look at card backs much anyway, particularly to get a player's stats, so what's the point of a statistical rehaul on cards?

The prime time for card-back viewing, at least from my perspective, was smack in the middle of the '70s and '80s when I was collecting feverishly and turning over every last card.

Back in 2014, I mentioned a habit I had as a youngster where I'd look at the backs of each card for that particular year and try to determine which players in my collection had the WORST career batting average. I'd compile a top 10 (or bottom 10) right there on the bedroom floor, satisfied that this was a bit of info that I knew and no one else did.

In that post I looked through the 1979 Topps set and found the bottom 10 in average. I also suggested that I'd try this for other sets in future posts, but per usual, I never went back to it.

I'm going back to it now -- even though batting average means even less than it ever has. Have you seen the batting averages on players these days? The manager just keeps sending these guys to the plate who are batting one-seventy-one. These certainly aren't the days when everyone knew if your average dipped below .240, you best be Dave Kingman (which every modern player just about is now) or you sit your fanny on the bench.

This time I'm looking at the 1989 Topps set and finding those bottom dwellers. The career averages on these 10 are even worse than the ones I found in 1979, perhaps because the set was larger 10 years later?

Anyway, here are those bottom 10:

.187


10. Johnny Paredes, Expos

With the 1979 set, I started with .207 as the best of the worst. We're already under .200 with the first candidate in the 1989 set. I'll bet Mario Mendoza wishes he had lasted to the '89 set.
 
 
.185
 

9. Craig Worthington, Orioles
 
Craig Worthington would land a rookie cup from Topps the very next year but he's ninth on the list after his first 26 games in the majors.
 
 
.184
 

8. Darryl Hamilton, Brewers

The late Darryl Hamilton began his career in 1988 with a .184 average in 44 games. He would rectify that in his next four big league seasons, never batting below .295 in any one. But this list doesn't consider where you are in your career. (Yes, I know the top picture is out of order. I've already put the cards back in the binder, I'm not pulling them out again).
 

.182


7. Orestes Destrade, Pirates

A future member of my baseball fantasy team in the mid-1990s. Perhaps I should have considered his 1989 baseball card? He had one big year for Florida in 1993.


.181


6. Tom Prince, Pirates

Another Pirate. Prince was a regular member of the Triple A Buffalo Bisons back when I would sporadically cover the team in the late 1980s. Ten years into the future, he'd wind up on a Dodgers card. But his career average was still below .200.
 
 
.175


5. Randy Velarde, Yankees
 
Randy Velarde would go on to be one of the longest-tenured Yankees of the 1990s, kept on for his versatility. He batting average would improve but he was rarely a regular full-time player.
 
 
.172
 

4. Mark Parent, Padres

Mark Parent is exhibiting the classic catcher pose and had the classic catcher batting average of the time to go with it. But Parent made the role work for him for 13 years in the majors, getting up to .214.
 
 
.168


3. Ron Karkovice, White Sox
 
Still trying to connect in the majors at this point, Karkovice would end up getting regular time as a catcher for the White Sox in the early 1990s. He hit 20 home runs for them in 1993.
 
 
.167
 

 2. Keith Miller, Phillies

"The other Keith Miller" in the 1989 Topps set. This Keith Miller didn't hit like the Mets' Keith Miller. He lasted eight more games in 1990 with the Phillies and that was the end of his big league career.
 
 
.136


1. Ron Tingley, Indians

Ron Tingley was a 32-year-old rookie at the time this card arrived. He'd play into the early 1990s, appearing on cards in 1994 and getting his career average into the .190s.


That's a lot of time in the minors.

But Tingley's .136 average is not as low as the lowest average in the 1979 Topps set. If I combine those two together for the bottom 10, this is what I get:

1. Luis Pujols, 1979 Topps, .125
2. Ron Tingley, 1989 Topps, .136
3. Keith Miller, 1989 Topps, .167
4. Ron Karkovice, 1989 Topps, .168
5. Mark Parent, 1989 Topps, .173
6. Randy Velarde, 1989 Topps, .175
7. Tom Prince, 1989 Topps, .181
8. Orestedes Destrade, 1989 Topps, .182
9. Darryl Hamilton, 1989 Topps, .184
10. Craig Worthington, 1989 Topps, .185

All of them are from 1989 except the Pujols card. The second-lowest batting average for the 1979 set was Bill Plummer's .188.

I'm going to continue doing this series, but I better pick up the pace because at this rate I'll need to live to be at least Ron Tingley's career batting average, with the decimal point moved three places to the right.

Comments

GTT said…
I like modern stats .They can be very useful, and I personally kind of like making up new stats. But I don't think they belong on baseball cards. The thing is that the normal stats tell a story and describe the player, while the advanced stats are for rating the players.

By the way, Ron Tingley's career average was actually .136 for those first two seasons.
night owl said…
Fixed. It's very hard to read tiny black type on a dark background when it's raining all day.
I am a stickler for the old stats. The newer advanced stats may play a role if you're an actuary working for a ball club, or if you think it will help out your fantasy team. Me....Pitchers, W-L and K's, everyone else...BA, RBI's, and HR's. That's all I need.
I prefer the old stats; even if they are basic they do still provide relevant information about a player's performance that year. The majority of the new and advanced stats are just excessive.
Brett Alan said…
I do like the read the stats on the back of my cards, strange though that may seem.

I wish they'd provide OBP and slugging rather than slugging and OPS, because it's easier to add than subtract. I do like having those numbers and WAR on the backs of cards. I don't see a need for major changes.
Jeff said…
The "traditional" stats on the backs of baseball cards clearly are not the best way to evaluate the a player's value or decide who the best players are. But that's okay. Baseball cards aren't the forum for that anyway. The traditional stats tell you what the player did. That's perfect.
Old Cards said…
Agree with Johnnys Trading Spot's last statment with maybe the addition of ERA for pitchers.
Because I am wired the way I am, I was a bit disappointed that none of my favorite Shlabotnik guys were on this list. Maybe next time.
I clearly remember Mark Parent having an .080 one year and how that was completely absurd to me as a kid.

Keith Miller kind of looks like Mike Maddux, so maybe the low average is because he's actually a pitcher.
Sascards67 said…
Both types of stats have their place but flipping over a Topps card you can instantly compare them with almost every other year and player. Tradition needs to be maintained.
Nick said…
Never thought to rank cards by batting averages before - poor Ron Tingley. There's a Topps Total card from 2004 (I think) that lists Corky Miller's batting average from the prior year as .026 - I believe he was 1-for-39 or something absurd like that - which is by far the smallest non-zero average I've ever seen on a baseball card.
Anonymous said…
Thought I'd see Joel (skinny batting average) Skinner somewhere in there.
BaseSetCalling said…
I would wager that these might correlate with the number of copies of each that became “Buybacks” re-inserted into packs via the “Rediscover Topps” promotion in 2017.
Fuji said…
Great post Night Owl! I'm definitely a batting average, home runs, stolen bases, runs scored, and RBI kind of card collector.

There's a chance I did something very similar when I was a kid. If I did... it was with the 1981 Fleer set (I sorted and resorted and resorted that set over and over and over again on my family room floor). The difference is, I would have created a top 10 career batting leaders list. Fleer made it easy for anyone interested in doing so by highlighting their career batting average on the back.